How to uninstall Boot Camp 1.1 Keyboard Drivers

Beliyaal

9 posts in this topic

The apple keyboard drivers form Boot Camp 1.1 interferes in many ways with Input Remapper. It seems to work when you disable the Apple keyboard with the Apple keyboard icon in the taskbar.

The uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs isn't working for the Appel Keyboard Support. To get the old functionality back without needing to disable the apple keyboard utility every start (and the only way for remapping to work before login):

* Go into Computer Management->Device Manager. Under Human Interface Devices, rightclick (or in the menu Action->Update Driver) the two Apple Keyboard Support and choose Update Driver. Now choose "No not this time". On the next screen choose "Install the software automatically".

* Open Task Manager and kill the KbdMgr.exe Process under the processes tab

* Delete "C:\Program Files\Appel Keyboard Support" folder

* Reboot

Now everything should be working.

• 1 month later...

No matter how many times I uninstall both instances of Apple Keyboard Support from my device manager, or how many times I follow the "Update driver" instructions above, and no matter how many times I get rid of the Apple Keyboard Support folder from my Program files, and no matter how many times I try to uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs, it keeps coming back. It's still in my list of progrms to ununinstall, and uninstalling it always reinstalls it. But without it, I can't get the F keys to work at all using Input Remapper anyway.

So my question now is this: What kind of interference happens by letting both stay active? Remapping the enter key to the delete key, and fn+click=right-click are the only things I really need Input Remapper for, and they work just fine with Apple Keyboard manager open... I'd love to use Input Remapper for the fn+F(x) keys but I can't seem to get it to work. But with both Input Remapper and the Apple Keyboard Manager, I seem to have all the functionality I want. Is this going to cause problems for me since I could never get the Apple Keyboard Manager to uninstall?

C

EDIT: Fixed, but using version 0.9.18... see 0.9.19 thread.

• 3 weeks later...
No matter how many times I uninstall both instances of Apple Keyboard Support from my device manager, or how many times I follow the "Update driver" instructions above, and no matter how many times I get rid of the Apple Keyboard Support folder from my Program files, and no matter how many times I try to uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs, it keeps coming back. It's still in my list of progrms to ununinstall, and uninstalling it always reinstalls it. But without it, I can't get the F keys to work at all using Input Remapper anyway.

So my question now is this: What kind of interference happens by letting both stay active? Remapping the enter key to the delete key, and fn+click=right-click are the only things I really need Input Remapper for, and they work just fine with Apple Keyboard manager open... I'd love to use Input Remapper for the fn+F(x) keys but I can't seem to get it to work. But with both Input Remapper and the Apple Keyboard Manager, I seem to have all the functionality I want. Is this going to cause problems for me since I could never get the Apple Keyboard Manager to uninstall?

C

EDIT: Fixed, but using version 0.9.18... see 0.9.19 thread.

I think your problem was that you tried to uninstall the program. You shouldnt try to unistall it as that will only install it again.

• 1 month later...
The apple keyboard drivers form Boot Camp 1.1 interferes in many ways with Input Remapper. It seems to work when you disable the Apple keyboard with the Apple keyboard icon in the taskbar.

The uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs isn't working for the Appel Keyboard Support. To get the old functionality back without needing to disable the apple keyboard utility every start (and the only way for remapping to work before login):

* Go into Computer Management->Device Manager. Under Human Interface Devices, rightclick (or in the menu Action->Update Driver) the two Apple Keyboard Support and choose Update Driver. Now choose "No not this time". On the next screen choose "Install the software automatically".

* Open Task Manager and kill the KbdMgr.exe Process under the processes tab

* Reboot

Now everything should be working.

In order to

don't forget to

* Open Task Manager and kill the UpdateManager.exe Process under the processes tab...

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

So many thanks for your tremendous amount of time and energy for this project! You're one of the most important reasons I love the internet so much - keep it up - I'll try to give my support wherever my knowhow can help..

There are some very good news!

BootCamp 1.12 solves basically all the important problems - as well the ones to deinstall Apple Keyboard Support! :whistle:

Now there is simply a taskbar icon, where you can disable it - these guys must know about input remapper and appreciate your work as much as I do...

Now I'm almost completely happy, because mouspad scrolling is working now as well, Bluetooth has been implemented and thanks to input remapper backlight and keyboard dimming are working as well!

Keep rockin'!

Dave

Edited by soaring

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In think that before using the Device Manager to update the drivers, you really need to kill off the KbdMgr.exe process first, otherwise KbdMgr.exe will keep putting back the Apple Keyboard Support drivers.

Deleting the "C:\Program Files\Apple Keyboard Support" folder also isn't the most graceful solution in my eyes because Windows would still look for the executable at startup. What I do is to disable the corresponding startup registry key altogether: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Apple_KbdMgr

Hi, I am not getting this to work. Specifically I don't get the first screen in question displayed where the answer is "no, not this time". I get the other one, and then a search that can take an awful long time, which results in nothing eg. it states it is not able to do anything.

I also tried to look for the correct windows driver in system, system32/drivers etc etc, with no result. What are the filenames of the correct drivers?

I had a rather unpleasant experience with running input remapper together with the original driver although it could likely be other causes as well -- neither windows nor OSX would boot, and I had to install boot camp all over. Tri

d of course everything first including safe mode, which I couldnt get access to 

ecause I needed to press esc during startup to abort the faulty driver.

OSX wouldn't boot or rather it would crash when it tried to load the XP partition, and I also tried to repair both disks from the install disk, as well as the hardware test which ran fine.

I am also unsure if the fan driver or logic from the mac driver CD is working properly, my mac gets very hot in Xp with little work, like hot under the area where I hold my palms (hand insides). Must be well over 50 under, and it is standing on a flat table. Is this normal, or could there be some issue with my installation?

• 11 months later...

Hello. Sorry for the "UP" but I think that should help some people.

like digitalb0y, I couldn't get my PC-Keyboard back to normal in windows XP after installing the old bootcamp (1.1 I think)

[i use this bootcamp because it fit me/my use of the Mac Pro]

So If found this Topic, and read about the regedit stuff, and after 1hour of search, I finally found a weird solution :

1.0 - search and destroy : anything named "keymagic" in /Windows/* directory

[i found 2 folder "002" and "003" contening the same files :

keymagic.sys keymagic.inf keymagic.pnf and a folder i386, I deleted all of them including the folder.]

2.0 - go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts" (not Keyboard Layout, but the one with the "s")

you will see a lot of folders, their name starts with three zero like : "00012345" or "00056789" ; Do not delete them.

you will also see at the end, Folders begining with a "A" like : "a000748" or "a015486"; Delete them all. (there was 6 folders in mine)

2.5 - here the funny part : I was also trying a solftware called "Sharpkeys 1.1" who was remapping my keyboard and writing in the registry ...

I was creating some keyboard mapping with the software... and I rebooted.

So I dont, really dont know if this software has done something too... while rebooting...

Just try without it

3.0 - So, you rebooted, and should works.. I dont know because I was having a last probleme : I'm a AZERTY Keyboard user

3.5 - now there is a high probability that you keyboard turned in to Qwerty;

but is really simple to fix this :

just go to the "Control Panel" > "regional and language options" > "Language" Tab > "Details..." button>

* clic "add.."

* choose your country

* choose keyboard layout

* clic OK

now you should have 2 set of layout

* From here I rebooted

* delete the US layout (qwerty)

and finally back to normal...

huff ! ... :thumbsup_anim:

---

I'm also sorry for the english, I'm not US nor UK :graduated:

hope that post help someone :whistle: