Good NEWS!

poplars

15 posts in this topic

hey all, I plan to type up a howto on this if I get it to work properly, heres the current situation...

I downloaded the image 10.4.7 JaS.dmg and realized that you CANNOT open this on windows, you HAVE to have OSX, or so everyone tells me. BUT! I recently loaded it up on Linux and used bzip2 to decompress it, since I talked with JaS and he told me that he compressed it using bz, so I decompressed it and then burned it using transmac on windows, and it BOOTED!!!! but, it said it was missing a file, so I assume it didn't decompress all the way, so I'm still working on it.

but if I get this to work, this will be a remedy for those who have the major misfortune of donwloading the wrong image while not having OSX. I'll keep you guys posted.

-Patrick

P.S. my name is Eclypse on the IRC channel.

ok the filesize is puzzing me, after I decompress it it's 3.4GB, could someone please tell me the actual .dmg size uncompressed?

thanks

you do realize if you get UltraISO you should be able to convert that dmg to an iso for windows to burn right?

UltraISO works great with an uncompressed DMG. This is a compressed DMG and none of the traditional Windows tools will expand it properly. It can only be expanded on OSX. This has been thoroughly explored in the original 10.4.7 thread. ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25232 )

The expanded DMG is 4.38 GB - 3.36 used and the rest is free space.

ok, the decompressed dmg is 3.4GB on mine, I decompressed it using bzip2 on Linux.

ok well anyways...the disc I burned earlier gave me the following error when I attempted to boot it

System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfigurations/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

ok....damn...I guess it is impossible...everyone in this bloody community has said nothing but impossible, nobody suggests anything useful. some do but nothing worked....and either way I've wasted far too much time on this {censored}....

if you have anything actually useful to give me, you better damn well be sure its not screwed up. I don't want to waste anymore time.

see the thing is, nobody has explained WHY it wont work. and, nobody has suggested a tool that MIGHT work as well....

Since the 10.4.7 .iso version was made available, this became a moot point, this is why there's not much answers here.

As for tools that might work... well, there's osx itself: burn on a (rewritable) dvd within osx, then make your own 'normal' uncompressed dmg/iso.

Don't have osx? You could download 10.4.6 iso. But then why not download the 10.4.7 iso? Which was the original proposition.

Of course this doesn't answer the more general question of how to convert to iso a bzip2-compressed dmg within windows alone; but for the current problem, which is about the jas 10.4.7 dmg, you have the above solutions.

see the thing is, nobody has explained WHY it wont work. and, nobody has suggested a tool that MIGHT work as well....

most people here try to be as helpful as possible if you cannot get your answer there is no need to be a !@#!@ about it. I can understand your frustration about not getting things to work easily, but like many people have said before here, if you want it to be easy, buy a mac.

btw you may want to try to download the iso...ahah..oh man I had to do it :)

System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfigurations/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

(noob thought)

Isn't that the graphics mode boot file? Long shot- but, would there be a way to get that file and put it in yer sysconfig folder? Perhaps this will help inspire?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=25532&hl=

graphic Design messes up his com.apple.Boot.plist file and Rammjet gives him instruction on how to "fix" it. May not work in your situation, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Hey Hey Hey...

Everyone calm down! ;)

You can burn the ORIGINAL .dmg using TRANSMAC v7.2 and it will boot!

No need to decompress ANYTHING. That just makes it 10x harder.

Burn the original .dmg by Jas using TRANSMAC v7.2.

You can find this version using: torrent harvester

It will change your life! :(

Also while you're at it, get MACDRIVE and PCMAC LAN.

These 3 programs will seemlessly integrate Windows and MAC OSes.