"You shut down the computer because of a problem" loop

r00tb33r

5 posts in this topic

On boot I get a dialog saying:

"You shut down the computer because of a problem.

If you want to open the applications that were open when you shut down, click Open.

If you do nothing, the computer will continue the login in ## seconds."

The dialog has a 60 second timer, and two buttons, Cancel and Open.

When I click either button or let it time out, the dialog goes away, the screen is goes gray, then the dialog appears again and the timer resets. This just loops forever.

Google returns too few results regarding the problem, and out of the few results nobody experiences the looping.

What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Here is a picture of the dialog:

IMG_20111023_045453.jpg

this is odd, never saw this kind of error!

i assume there's is a problem with the resume feature in Lion.

goto /YourUserName/Library/Saved Application State/ - and delete every Folder!

also look at the Logs ( e.g. System.log ).

which Method you install Lion, Retail ?

please add your using Hardware to your Signature.

Send a Bug Report to Apple :(:dev: , just kidding :rolleyes:

good luck !

CooSee ' Ya

this is odd, never saw this kind of error!

i assume there's is a problem with the resume feature in Lion.

goto /YourUserName/Library/Saved Application State/ - and delete every Folder!

also look at the Logs ( e.g. System.log ).

which Method you install Lion, Retail ?

please add your using Hardware to your Signature.

Send a Bug Report to Apple :):dev: , just kidding :rolleyes:

good luck !

CooSee ' Ya

Hardware added to the sig.

I used the xMove + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] guide:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmo...x-107-lion.html

I deleted the saved application states as you suggested, but now it just loops the graphical server/window manager without the dialog (the mouse pointer disappears, then reappears, same with the spinning progress circle).

I should note that at least some part of the video driver is working when its doing that, because it displays in my monitor's native resolution (1680x1050) and animation is smooth, rather than 1024x768 of the frame buffer.

Interesting behavior. This happened right after I added my custom compiled DSDT (same effect with a DSDT from a similar board from the DSDT database).

Now, if I disable Chimera graphics enabler (set to "No" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist), it boots to desktop fine. If I set it back to "Yes" it will do the looping thing again with the graphical server.

Hardware added to the sig.

I used the xMove + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] guide:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmo...x-107-lion.html

I deleted the saved application states as you suggested, but now it just loops the graphical server/window manager without the dialog (the mouse pointer disappears, then reappears, same with the spinning progress circle).

I should note that at least some part of the video driver is working when its doing that, because it displays in my monitor's native resolution (1680x1050) and animation is smooth, rather than 1024x768 of the frame buffer.

Interesting behavior. This happened right after I added my custom compiled DSDT (same effect with a DSDT from a similar board from the DSDT database).

Now, if I disable Chimera graphics enabler (set to "No" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist), it boots to desktop fine. If I set it back to "Yes" it will do the looping thing again with the graphical server.

I ever had this problem, but with NVIDIA Card only. I don't know why, but here's the trick for you to try to resolve it.

first try ,

1. use kextcache load on boot manually. *this is usually used if my string on org.chameleon.Boot.plist key for UseKernelCache value sets to No To do that, simply open Terminal on Applications --> Utility folder, input this command as root

steps :

• a. Login as root, type : sudo -s and press enter or return. it will ask you password, give your mac user password.
  • b. type after you successfully login : kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions /Extra/Extensions , press enter and quit terminal, reboot.

Lets see the result after reboot, if it stuck after reboot and not going into the system, try power off cpu first, and then power back on. if it's also still stuck whether normal boot, verbose boot, save boot, then now you try to make your settings back as usual to make it work fine, and do this second try.

Second try
    2. After succeed booting with everything works fine, change your org.chameleon.Boot.plist string for key UseKernelCache to Yes because u mention if you set NO it's always been good. after changing this again to yes, then reboot.

Thats it. i only do that few tricks to make that warning missing. i don't know what i'm doing, but i just feel strange, because i have 2 graphic card, one is ATI which is working with method 1 , and my NVIDIA card is working with method 2. I also confuse why these happened, but strange because i install os in one cpu with both partition hard disk installed with Lion, one system for Nvidia Card, one system with ATI card, which is seemly different result in handling.

if all thise trick doesn't help you , perhaps you have error on your DSDT. try remove DSDT first and try boot without it. even it's not full accelerate, you may try if it still error or not.
    for me, i never use DSDT because my skill is not good enough compiling dsdt even with tool dsdt patcher or etc..hihihihi
    hope this thing can help u