Can't burn the .DMG on windows...depressing me... 10.4.7 JaS

poplars

10 posts in this topic

hi you guys....this is really like seriously messing me up here... I can't burn/convert/anything the 10.4.7 JaS .dmg file... I KNOW it's not corrupt, uTorrent verify's it 100%.... I got it off the most active torrent on demonoid for it, the official one submitted by JaS.....

does anyone know any way to possibly burn this on PC??? I mean, I'll seriously try anything if it'll work.....I really don't want to spend another week or 2 to get it....

thanks for those who give me valid options here...I honestly think I've tried everything google has sent me, so don't you dare say "google it"...

thanks...

-Patrick

This is a known and discussed issue.

The DMG is compressed and cannot be opened with any of the traditional Windows apps that open (uncompressed) DMG's. The DMG can only be opened and burned on OSX.

Someone uncompressed the DMG to an ISO (repack) format and posted that to the usual torrent site.

the real problem here is that it really will not be easy for me to get another dl again....I mean there must be some way...

edit: well I'm gonna sleep now, I'll check on this thread in like 17 hours or so...good night all, please give me some sort of hope other then find someone with a mac computer...lol (and download the ISO repack.)

Hi i am also facing the same problem. I have downloaded "Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.7.X86-HOTiSO" .

It is 2.99 Gb in size .I can't open it with any software known to me (Ultraiso ,isobuster ,Dmg2iso ,D-tool, Transmac etc) . I am using WinXP.

If it is impossible to open this Compressed Image in windows Enviornment . Then what software Should I use to burn it on DVD Sucessfully .

It will be better if u arrange some already existing Mac OS X installation...

coz then using the Toast software..u can save the .DMG into the .CUE/BIN format..then since the size of the image will expand (around 4.38GB) so u can now cannot write it to FAT32..since it is limited to 4GB..hence u zip the cue/bin file and then u send it to the FAT32 file system..coz then it will be around 3GB...

now in any exisitng NTFS partition just uncompress it...so u have a working CUE/BIN file ready for install via VMWare or for burning the DVD...

umm thanks for the attempt post above, but that's not an option for a lot of us. I have no such Mac OS X installation, anywhere. and I cannot download the ISO Repack because I'm on dialup, please state solutions that could work on a PC not runnign OSX. I have Linux on another partition also, so if there's a better chance of it opening on Linux I'll do that too....

thanks

-Patrick

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So many have said it cannot be done. but it CAN.

Ok. Here's how to convert a .DMG to an ISO file on a pc to burn the damn thing.

First, download DMG2ISO

http://h**p://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/do...pl?dmg2iso.exe

The run the file DMG2ISO shell, and select yoru .dmg file. Then name your output file and convert.

Burn with any program you like.

Actually there are many ways! We have TransMac, MacDrive, PowerISO, etc etc. But none of them burn a compressed dmg like it is!!! For example, TransMac first uncompresed the dmg and then burns, and others like MacDrive or PowerISO needs an uncompressed dmg or they does not recognize the format. DMG2ISO... let me guess, it also uncompresses the image... but wait! I just tried dmg2img, the succesor of dmg2iso and it says that my dmg it's corrupted, but how? It works fine once Mounted inside OS X Leopard!

I tried on a Mac (vmware) with hdiutil command and I was able to create a CDR image, it was practically the same size as the uncompressed dmg that TransMac created.

Now the problem. The image I'm talking about is 7GB large; uncompressed it's 8.6GB, big enough as to not fit on a DL media. So I'm looking on how to burn the image compressed and also being able to read the media on the Mac. The Mac of course, doesn't have a drive which can burn.

I tried open the compressed image on the Mac, and after a little process the image was mounted. I now understand that OS X its able to read a compressed mounted image and uncompress it as data is demanded, so I'm guessing that OS X also should be able to burn compressed images. But now the problem again! This Mac doesn't have a burner!

The last resource I'm thinking about is to burn the image into an UDF DVD as a file so that it should be possible to mount it on OS X read from the drive and use it. But why? Can't I do things right with the right software?