Realtek HD Audio. Lets start making a definite guide for the genius bar.

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am following the things around the ALC 88x-HD Audio-Chips for a year now. First, we got it to run with the azalia.kext, but no input - then with an old applehda.kext for both in and output, now some are trying with the azalia again. but no definite guide yet. if you search for it, you just get to much information. to much newbies with to much questions.

lets put our knowledge together for every single alc-chip with guides. what kext is being used, what info.plists are altered, what way etc. - maybe we get a document for the genius-bar this way, if the community works together.

to start (and please correct me):

1. nobody got 5 or even 7.1 sound with the azalia-line til now.

2. there are just a few with a *working* line in.

3. sound out seems to be fully supported

a) including a working soundbar only with the azalia-kext, while

:) you get in and out-support only with the old applehda.kext yet (but the volumebar does not work this way)

4. azalia.kext is given up by apple with 10.4.4

5. only working applehda.kexts are those before 10.4.4

6. nobody got a applehda.kext working later than 10.4.4, 10.4.4-10.4.7 seem to be useless for alc-users.

hope we manage to gather information for a guide, i could post how to get a working in and out with intel915 mainboards, applehda.kext and alc880s. but this information is from somebody else - and it would be great, if he or she could post it here - and the others could participate by throwing in their new information for all the other alcs. end would be a definite guide which lists

1. alc model

2. type of modification

3. possible url to an altered kext

4. todos

finally we could end up with putting all this together to an installer like the one for the ati-graphicscards.

--------

1st responses:

ALC882

+ working SoundOut on green plug with Azalia.kext(edited with 27d88086 & 10ec0882)

- SoundIN & SPDIF Not working even with the old HDA.kext ( That SHOWS the LineIN & SPDIF, but is not working).

Nice and good Idea...

ALC882, working SoundOut on green plug with Azalia.kext(edited with 27d88086 & 10ec0882)

SoundIN & SPDIF Not working even with the old HDA.kext ( That SHOWS the LineIN & SPDIF, but is not working).

Trying around with AC97 did not working here too.

Bye.. Rene

I have a look to other Threads for finding a solution.

Hey,

i´ve got an "Realtek HD Audio", too. It´s in my ASUS A6JC pro60. How to fix the problem to get sound? I didn´t found an vendor ID or so in dxdiag.

Hope to hear of you too! (maybe you can speak german?)

mfg

Christian, 17, Germany(Hessia)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay! I did some research, and my HP Pavilion a1328x has an ATI RC410 northbridge and an ATI IXP450 southbridge. The Genius Bar thread for the Realtek ALC882 lists the Vendor ID for the Microsoft HD Audio Bus (0x27d8), which I don't have. The Vendor ID that's predefined in the AppleAzaliaController.kext is for the Intel chipset, again, I don't have it.

I'm currently working on finding a Vendor ID to use in the IOPCIPrimaryMatch key, and I'm assuming its the one for the ATI IXP450 that I want to use. In Windows XP MCE2005, there is no Microsoft hardware listed anywhere in the Computer Management Console.

Northbridge: ATI RC410

Southbridge: ATI IXP450

Sound: Realtek HD Audio (ID 0x10EC 0883 Confirmed)

Findings for PCI Bus:

ICH6: 0x2668 8086

ICH7: 0x27d8 8086

ESB2: 0x269a 8086

ATI SB450: 0x437b 1002

Considering "SB450" probably means "SouthBridge ixp450" its a pretty good bet that one will work. I'll boot into FreeBSD to confirm some questions about my hardware first.

The Genius Bar thread is for ALC 882. You seem to have ALC 883.

The Appendix to that thread tells you how to find the two sets of vendor/device id's you need - 0x10ec0883 being the first one.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18642

Yes, I have the ALC883, but as I also said the keys provided there for the IOPCIPrimaryMatch make my system FAIL TO BOOT. Anyways, FreeBSD seems to use /boot/kernel/snd_atiixp.ko for my sound on this machine. I'm going to try the ATI SB450 device ID now.

Yes, I have the ALC883, but as I also said the keys provided there for the IOPCIPrimaryMatch make my system FAIL TO BOOT

The keys for IOPCIPrimaryMatch for YOUR computer can be found in Step B of the Appendix of that guide. It tells you to go into Windows and look up the vendor id and device id of the audio controller chip. Using those values, you build a new "key" to place in IOPCIPrimaryMatch.

Can we add another possible string to the thread in the Genius Bar?

The thread in the Genius Bar clearly says that for other audio chips, to go to the Appendix in that thread and determine the new correct string values.

From my answer above:

The keys for IOPCIPrimaryMatch for YOUR computer can be found in Step B of the Appendix of that guide. It tells you to go into Windows and look up the vendor id and device id of the audio controller chip. Using those values, you build a new "key" to place in IOPCIPrimaryMatch.

Working for Audio Output Only!

Yes, most of the audio hacks only succeed in achieving audio out.

• 1 month later...

ok guys:) finally made it to work;p

as i wrote before a got acl0883 and numbers are:0x10ec0833 and 27d88086. trick is to modify first AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/info.plist.change

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ec0883</string>

note:

ofcourse if your vendorId is 10ec and device id 0883.u can check it in xp/devicemanager/details. screenshots on this forum.

then delete:

Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext.

then open terminal,type: sudo -s

then cd /System/Library/Extensions/

then chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

then chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

then kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

at this point u should get kext succesfuly loaded

reboot

after reboot i changed appleAzaliaAudio/contents/plugins/AppleAzaliaController/info.plist

to replace witch my hex number: find

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x284b88086</string>

and replaced string with my value: 0x27D88086

once again screen shots can b found on this forum

then u have to delete:

Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext.

then open terminal,type: sudo -s

then cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

then chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaController.kext

then chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaController.kext

then kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

once again at this point u should get kext succesfuly loaded

reboot

and that's it. it worked 4 me.hope it will help somebody.spent over 12h managing net and audio to work but finally it's working.i'm going to have a rest...;d

Enjoy