Samsung laptop and UEFI boot

cybermiguel

8 posts in this topic

Ok...here's the deal.

I've got a Samsung laptop (model RV411-S04CL) which has the following specs:

• Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU (sandy bridge)
  • Intel HM55 chipset
  • nVidia GeForce 315M (512 MB) dedicated video card
  • Realtek ALC269 audio
  • Atheros AR9285 Wi-Fi
  • Realtek PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet

And I want to install OS X Lion.

Now, what's the problem?

Well... one of the curious things this laptop has is that it's BIOS is actually a Phoenix SecureCore UEFI firmware. I found it quite interesting, as in the firmware setup (or BIOS screen, if you want to call it) it allows me to choose if I want "legacy boot" or "UEFI boot".

In my curiosity, I chose UEFI boot and installed Windows 7 x64 using GPT partitions (it's not hybrid....it's full GPT) and UEFI boot. In fact, the installer created an EFI system partition that has the bootloader in /efi/boot/bootx64.efi

In other words...a full UEFI/GPT Windows 7 system working like it should.

So, what's the deal? The deal is that I want to install Mac OS X Lion ALONG my Windows 7 UEFI/GPT installation.

I searched on the internet for bootloaders that can boot ina UEFI environment and found two: XPC and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Tried them both.

Problem? Both got stuck at a blinking underscore and then the system tried to boot from the HDD (I pressed the ESC key so that it doesn't boot and boots again from the USB).

When they actually load (the second time I hit ESC so the Windows bootloader doesn't start), they only show me the USB pendrive and neither the HDD nor the DVD drive.

I tried to disable AHCI and I get both bootloaders to show the HDD and the DVD drive, which is good...except for the fact that when I try to boot Windows 7 with AHCI disabled, it crashes before it loads with a BSOD. Besides, I read that AHCI is necessary for Lion to work properly.

So... got stuck at the bootloader and can't install a damn OS X distribution (neither iAtkos L1 nor stock Snow Leopard).

What can I do? Am I doing something wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear cybermiguel,

I have a similiar problem. So I would like to ask what happened at your case? Is there any change? Could you install both win7 64 bit and lion together?

I have a new Lenovo b570 laptop with UEFI bios. Opposite to your Samsung I do not have an option for legacy MBR boot. It directly boots UEFI system. I installed win7 64 bit on GPT partition. Now I am googling and searching on how to install lion (preferably iatkos) on GPT partiton. If I can find a solution for this, then I am planning to make a multiboot machine with w7 64 bit, iatkos and Ubuntu in one.

Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

• 3 months later...

hi

have u try the file

boot.efi in every mac os x media install ?

i dont think it works, but give a try, because macs boot with that file.

and u bios, is a hybrid uefi, not equal to macs.

in desktop with that new bios the boot is with chameleon

good hack

• 3 months later...