Slow torrents

zoink

8 posts in this topic

I have osx86 10.4.6 installed on my laptop. My roommate has a macbook with osx (idk what version). Both of us are having problems with torrent downloads being very slow. We have tried azureus, tomato torrent, and bittorrent clients and the same thing happens. I know i have a good connection because i download at 500ish kb/s in my browser, but we cant get above 10kb/s using torrents. I use torrents all the time on my windows installation and get between 20kb/s and 400kb/s. Any idea whats going on?

Heck the firewall on the mac is configured right. If it's switched on then create a custom rule for allowing bit torrent ports through and make sure your router forwards the ports to your machine. I get about 100K on tomato torrent if there are a decent number of peers.

Greetings,

Bare in mind if you are using Azurueus for sure, or any client which utilizes uPNP, thay you DO NOT manually setup the port forware in your router. You will run into all sorts of interesting things doing so. I would suggest re-launching azureus, see which port it picked by uPNP and do the Connection NAT test under the Azureus menu.

Regards,

{censored}-X

PS I would also recommend atleast trying to download a torrent from the green demon or TPB which has A LOT of seeders and see if the speed increases, to see if one of your slowdowns is that you are operating on DHT, for testing purposes disable de-centralized tracking. And make sure you did not set your upload to high. Try lowering it and see if speed increases.

• 2 weeks later...