.mac Account. Yearly subscription?

Mebster

6 posts in this topic

I only reciently was able to get the internet working on my Hackintosh and was looking to try and use iChat. Seems I needed a .mac account. Thats seems normal. But then I found out there was a yearly subscription charge. This can't be right, can it?

I've been using MSN Messenger in Windows for years and well there's no charges there (at least at the moment) so why with getting a .mac account for use with iChat and Mail? Really has taken

Or have i got all this wrong? :guitar:

To use iChat you have to subscribe, but after the free 60 days, you dont have to pay to continue using iChat. Only if you want the rest.

Quote from the site:

Try out iChat

Register for a .Mac iChat screen name and try it out. You'll get a free 60-day trial of .Mac, Apple's suite of Internet services, and your iChat account stays active after the 60-day trial. (Secure iChat requires full .Mac membership.)

I don't have a .mac account but :

I use Mail with many ISP mail account without problems (IMAP or POP, SMTP server for sending mails).

Concerning ichat, i use it with Jabber account and AIM account. Jabber is text only, as AIM can do video with windows users with AIM PC soft.

I run it few times with video on AIM (under ichat with my camcorder plugged in Firewire) and my friend having AIM under windows with a webcam. Few audio delays (not sync to video) but it works great. (a lot of problems came from AIM PC software...)