Setting "Graphics Mode" suddenly doesnt work anymore :S

12 posts in this topic

Hi!

The first OSX86 i tried was the vmware image dd:ed to a harddrive. With it i could change to my LCD's native resolution by issuing the "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024" command (im not exacly sure if it was "1280x1024" or maybe 1280x1024x32 or something).

Now i did a native install from a DVD and i cant change to 1280, it defaults back to 1024 when i try the above, or variations of the above command =(

I have a Viewsonic VX924 tft (1280x1024 native) and a Geforce 7800GTX.

Cheers

Maciekish

VMWare and native differs in "hardware", sometimes even VMWare has advantages (I say is more compatible with a regular PC).

I have a Geforce 6600 and it does 1280x1024, but ther is no trick for that since there is no kext loaded.

Maybe if you try with conjunction of platform=X86PC.

VMWare and native differs in "hardware", sometimes even VMWare has advantages (I say is more compatible with a regular PC).

I have a Geforce 6600 and it does 1280x1024, but ther is no trick for that since there is no kext loaded.

Maybe if you try with conjunction of platform=X86PC.

I hope you got me right that i dd:ed the vmware image to a harddrive and booted it natively! Then it worked to set 1280... ill try your tip thanks.

Question @ MacGirl: do you run OSX native or through VMware?

If natively: do you get your Geforce to run better than @60Hz (hurts the eyes badly on CRT :unsure: ).

I don't get it: Darwin detects the card at VESA 3.0, still setting Graphics mode highter than @60Hz results in reboot...what could it be? It doesn't seem to be the case through VMware (it adepts your windowsXP resolution?). But VMware is dramatically S L O W compared to native. Thoughts?

Hmm...I've been thinking...

Could it be that OSX don't fully support PCIe, just AGP?

I'm tellinf you all, if i use the vmware image natively it DOES 1280x1024 but if i install it off the DVD and run natively it DOESNT do 1280x1024 =/ too bad... Hope the Nvidia driver will get out soon.

I have a 6800GT and i run OSX natively, I use the same graphic mode setting when I reboot (which is rare)

Are you doing

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" or do you not add the 32bit part in? I found if you don't it drops your resolution to 1024

I know, i tried:

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x24"

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024"

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@60"

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x24@60"

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024@60"

I have a TFT so 60hz doesnt matter.

I'm having the same problem; specifying resolution worked before, but doesn't anymore! I originally had an install from the tiger-x86 image. Suddenly OSX booted into 800x600 resolution, without me making any changes. I've set the mode in Boot.plist, but it didn't work at all. I tried installing with the patched Install DVD, but same result here.

So the thing is, it USED to work. But all of a sudden, it doesn't anymore... is it possible to enable/force the loading of the VESA driver? In verbose mode, I'm seeing that OSX tries to load some GeForce and NVDA* kext's, but these don't work... I then tried moving the kext's out of the Extensions directory, resulting in that it didn't try to load them, but didn't revert to VESA either.

I have i GeForce4 Ti4600 detected as VESA 3.0 compatible.

It just means your VESA BIOS has issues with OS Xand you won't be able to choose that resolution, sorry.

It worked before i installed over the old osx-flat image with the DVD!!!!

could someone post the boot.plist from the vmware-flat image? maybe he has set a different platform or some other setting there which makes 1280x1024 work.

Question @ MacGirl: do you run OSX native or through VMware?

If natively: do you get your Geforce to run better than @60Hz (hurts the eyes badly on CRT :) ).

I don't get it: Darwin detects the card at VESA 3.0, still setting Graphics mode highter than @60Hz results in reboot...what could it be? It doesn't seem to be the case through VMware (it adepts your windowsXP resolution?). But VMware is dramatically S L O W compared to native. Thoughts?

I run both, in native only @60 hz, other makes a reboot instantly.

In Windows XP I use 1024x768 at 85 hz (because my monitor can't handle more) but the card cand handle up to 200 hz).

Of course MacOS and other OS are slower in VMWare becuase it emulates some parts, the calls to the processor are virtualized but as the processor are running windows processes even that is slower.