Upgrade to Lion Server Flawless ?

moustik74

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a machine running fine 10.7 (Ok, almost... facetime is not yet fixed and my CPU is identified as a 3,07 Ghz instead of 3,20, but who cares ...).

I used the MaLd0n USB stick methods and did a little bit of tweaking of the DSDT, boot.plist and smbios.plist to have everything up and running.

Next step I'm kind reluctant to without more info, is to upgrade to the Server version.

Should I just Buy the Server version on the App store and directly install it like a brainless on the current drive with OX Lion normal version ?

Or should I make an USB stick using the server version instead and start from scratch ?

Any feedback from the few running the server version would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The App store download will only include the server tools, so there is no need to do a fresh install as there is no separate OSX server version any more.

Not quite. The AS download only gives you the Server App which pulls down all the installation files and installs server. The server tools are a separate free download from Apple directly

Lion Server Tools

Correct. It is the only way to install with Lion AFAIK. Having said that, it was a perfectly legitimate way to install prior versions (I have used 10.5 and 10.6) of server as Apple's installation routine merely installs the server packages over the client.

did it once : you launch the server.app, it downloads some files , you can then use the tool to configure the server roles. On next reboot under "about this mac" will show "OSX Lion Server".

Very easy, wont break a hackintosh.

( for gm/appstore versions ; Dev build sof 10.7.2 some do not run on Server OS ) .