is it legal to run/virtualize lion or mac server in windows on imac?

9 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
is it legal to run/virtualize lion or mac server in windows on imac?

if yes how ?

It is legal if you have a legal copy of Lion. If you mean Lion server, that is now just an add-on package from the App Store, not a different OS version.

I'm not quite sure why you would need to run Lion in Windows if you have a Mac, but here's how you do it.

Buy a copy of Snow Leopard if you don't already. Unfortunately you cannot buy a bootable Lion disc. Once you have that, download VirtualBox (google it,) install it, and set up a virtual machine for Mac OS X (it's one of the OS options.) It will only say Mac OS X Server, but don't worry about that.

Boot the machine. It will ask where to find the install disc; use your DVD drive and go! You should boot to the installer. Install and reboot! With VirtualBox there is no need for any hacks! :unsure:

Note that you will get not-so-great graphics, but other than that, almost flawless! From there download Lion from the App Store and install it. I haven't tested it but it should work.

I downloaded virtual box did what you said but did not work

i have grey cd for snow leopard that came with imac i used that one VB showed black screen with text at the end says system uptime in nano seconds then it stopped over there

what should i do now ?

Thanks

It is legal if you have a legal copy of Lion. If you mean Lion server, that is now just an add-on package from the App Store, not a different OS version.

I'm not quite sure why you would need to run Lion in Windows if you have a Mac, but here's how you do it.

Buy a copy of Snow Leopard if you don't already. Unfortunately you cannot buy a bootable Lion disc. Once you have that, download VirtualBox (google it,) install it, and set up a virtual machine for Mac OS X (it's one of the OS options.) It will only say Mac OS X Server, but don't worry about that.

Boot the machine. It will ask where to find the install disc; use your DVD drive and go! You should boot to the installer. Install and reboot! With VirtualBox there is no need for any hacks! :)

Note that you will get not-so-great graphics, but other than that, almost flawless! From there download Lion from the App Store and install it. I haven't tested it but it should work.

I downloaded virtual box did what you said but did not work

i have grey cd for snow leopard that came with imac i used that one VB showed black screen with text at the end says system uptime in nano seconds then it stopped over there

what should i do now ?

Thanks

One question: why in the world would you want to run Lion virtually on an iMac?? iMacs can run Snow Leopard and Lion natively and don't need a virtualizer. If I misunderstood and you are actually running it on a PC, well, that DVD you have won't work by itself. That disc is protected to only be used by the computer it came with. You can remove that, but it is a little difficult.

If you have an iMac and are trying to run Mac OS X, you do not need a virtualizer, bootloader, or anything else PCs do. Just insert your SL DVD and hold down the C key at startup. What model iMac do you have, anyway?

It sounds like VB had a kernel panic. Maybe you could take a screen shot of what it displayed exactly?

I am running win 7 on imac natively

my primary development is on .net so windows will be my primary OS

but i also have to work on mac osx for iPhone projects

i have to work on both OS at the same time

and NO i will not use LION and then virtulize win 7

Attached is the screen shot of VB

Thanks

One question: why in the world would you want to run Lion virtually on an iMac?? iMacs can run Snow Leopard and Lion natively and don't need a virtualizer. If I misunderstood and you are actually running it on a PC, well, that DVD you have won't work by itself. That disc is protected to only be used by the computer it came with. You can remove that, but it is a little difficult.

If you have an iMac and are trying to run Mac OS X, you do not need a virtualizer, bootloader, or anything else PCs do. Just insert your SL DVD and hold down the C key at startup. What model iMac do you have, anyway?

It sounds like VB had a kernel panic. Maybe you could take a screen shot of what it displayed exactly?

post-848950-1316596095_thumb.png

I am running win 7 on imac natively

my primary development is on .net so windows will be my primary OS

but i also have to work on mac osx for iPhone projects

i have to work on both OS at the same time

and NO i will not use LION and then virtulize win 7

Attached is the screen shot of VB

Thanks

It seems you are having trouble with the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext. You will have to modify your DVD a little bit.

First, download a free trial of MacDrives. This will enable Windows to read and write Mac disks. Next, create a read/write image of your DVD (I think UltraISO can do that; if not, look for something else.) Once it is done, mount the image. Then open it and go to System/Library/Extensions. Once there, remove AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext and unmount the image. Run your VirtualBox VM again, but this time direct it to your DVD image instead of your host drive. If anything bad happens, post a screenshot again.

What kind of iPhone projects are you talking about? If your projects are graphic-intensive, this will NOT work, unfortunately. Because VirtualBox offers the guest OS a custom graphics card, Quartz Extreme/Core Image is not supported, meaning that graphics will be very poor. Mac OS X is not very well-suited to run in a virtual environment. I know you said you didn't want to do this, but Windows 7 runs extremely well virtually. I personally believe you would be better off doing that, but that is my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Since this is an iMac CD/DVD you own and you are not installing it on an iMac (you are not, your installing it in a VM.), that probably will be the problem.

There are some preconfigured DVD's, which do not check on that (mostly needed to build a hackintosh (am I allowed to say this here?)), but you have an original CD/DVD, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Another idea: what about if you just use bootcamp and install both OS's and just switch, when needed?

The only difference between an iMac DVD and a retail disc is that the iMac disc checks for the machine model. This can be removed, but...

I used an unmodified iMac Tiger DVD in a VirtualBox VM on the iMac it was bundled with and it worked fine. However, that was with an OS X host, but theoretically it should be able to detect your model even though you are running in a VM.

Why not use Lion?

There is a disk image inside the Lion purchase from the Mac App Store that can be mounted and a VM can use as its drive. I never tried it in VirtualBox because its a seriously lacking VM, but Parallels and VMWare both handle disk images like this fine.... I even made a bootable Lion USB stick from this image... you can technically make a DVD from it too. If your main OS is Windows, you might have to convert the image to an ISO first.