Upgrade my Hackintosh or buy iMac?

35 posts in this topic

OK. First Gato. You're remark abut the cheering was very very funny. In fact I couldn't have said it better.

To Don Luca.

On the other hand. Perhaps Apple does deserve your cash. If you really think that they ought to get a bigger market share. Then go ahead. Buy that iMac. I personally think 1300 $ for a "transition" platform is quite steep but who am I.

:D

the more we rationalize for upgrade, the stronger his rejection :D

maybe, he is part of the campaign? "working right out of the box blah blah blah...."

(yet another conspiracy theory)

:)

C'mon Gatot...

Now that Apple upgrade the iMacs with the new Core 2 Duo and lowered the price now a Mac is a good buy, even if you haven't sold your soul to Steve :D :D :D

Apart from jokes.

Now the iMac is cheaper, and what's more is more powerful...

More powerful machines at a lower price...

I'm not part of any campaign, this is only my point of view :P

But then, if I have to spend 600€ or more to upgrade something which will not work @ 100% because it's not 100% compatible, then I think it's better go Mac... either Mac Mini, iMac or Macbook or whatever we need.

Personally, since I'm considering a "total" switch from windoze to Mac, I go for the iMac so I can also play some games like UT2004 or WoW, but if someone is searching for a compact workstation without great graphic power, then he could choose the cheap Mac Mini...

Hmmm. I fail to see why these games wouldn't run on a hackintosh? If they run on an Intel mac they'd run on my rig too. The few games that I tried did exceptionally well infact (Jamminracer demo and outnumbered being the only ones left on my HDD right now). The only game that failed so far was StarWars Battlefront but could just be a dud anyway.

So far I even run Sheepshaver (OS9 emulation) , actually better on my hack than my windows machine which is quite odd since the Windows version is supossedly better; and parallels (even the latest betas). I tried Photoshop Elements and Xpress 6.5, Office X etc.. all ran just fine. Even installed OpenOffice Intel binaries and they too ran great. All in all I am pretty happy with my OSX86 rig.

WoW is that internet only online gaming? Like RTCW on windows?

Regards,

EPDM

Yes, World of Warcraft is a MMORPG.

Personally i don't like MMORPG, but this one is exceptional.

Ah, i have to tell you a fantastic thing that happened...

Yesterday morning I went to my nearest Apple Center, and I decided to buy an iMac 20" with the VRAM upgrade... they did the order, but on the sheet they gave me (which is the order) there's written iMac 24"!!! At the same price of the 20" !!!! I hope they'll not figure this out!!! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread and I'm disappointed to see that it has stopped. Since I was 10 I have always tinkered with everything I have ever owned (computers, cars, guitars, guitar pedals, amps, you name it) and I will be to the day I die a hardcore modifier (hacker). I was strictly a linux guy for the past 5 years, and I have been running enlightenment DR17 on Gentoo for the last year. If you have never seen or used DR17 look at www.get-e.org. Still in beta DR17 is the most attractive gui I have ever used but it is still not fully functional. On top of that was the constant headaches of trying to get everyday things to work under linux. Linux takes work to run if you want to use the latest and greatest apps and want a fully functional environment. Being a *nix fanboy I've always loved what Apple was doing with OSX and so as soon as OSX x86 began I ran Deadmoo on a seperate partition of my 2.8 P4 system with 1 gig and a 9800 pro but couldn't get everything working. I recently bought a Mac Mini because I wanted to start recording my music and lets face it OSX has the best applications for audio and video developement. I got the Mac Mini over the iMac because I was squeemish about having the monitor built into the computer (I don't know why I just am) and because the Mini was just so damn affordable. I love my mini because everything just works and I don't have to f*** with anything. Apple has a great business model and I hope they never release a version of OSX for non-Apple systems. Why? Because if Apple doesn't have to worry about making sure everyone elses hardware, especially the crappy hardware, works on OSX they can spend more time developing new and great technologies for Apple computer users. Apple was brillant in adopted BSD technology. They took a secure, tried and true system and built a beautiful interface on top of it instead of creating a whole OS from scratch which would not have had anywhere near the amount of field experience as BSD has had nor the developer base. I applaud everything the OSX x86 team is doing and think it is marvelous, but there should never be a push for this project to become a way to pressure Apple into selling OSX for generic hardware. OSX x86 is great for those of us who like to tinker with everything and have the maximum upgradeability possible. But for the rest of the world who doesn't have time, as I no longer do, to sit around modifying scripts and configuration files so that the most basic components work, nothing beats a genuine Mac that just works.

• 3 weeks later...
I see...

My big problem is that the upgrade to my hackintosh will cost no more than 500 €...

An entire iMac costs 1300 € !

Is it worth it?

(...)

The applications listed above are the only ones I'll ever use because I don't need anything more, but at the same time I need 100% workability, (...)

All I'll ever use my Mac or Hack for is video, audio and photo editing, Office (PowerPoint in particular) and some games, nothing more.

I'd like to buy an iMac but it is very expensive and still I don't know if it is strictly necessary...

If you're going to using it for serious work then save, work and wait patiently for an iMac (hey, I'm making a plan to get $1500 for January '08 ...the cost of the iMac were I live).

This is a great thread and I'm disappointed to see that it has stopped. Since I was 10 I have always tinkered with everything I have ever owned (computers, cars, guitars, guitar pedals, amps, you name it) and I will be to the day I die a hardcore modifier (hacker). I was strictly a linux guy for the past 5 years, and I have been running enlightenment DR17 on Gentoo for the last year. If you have never seen or used DR17 look at www.get-e.org. Still in beta DR17 is the most attractive gui I have ever used but it is still not fully functional. On top of that was the constant headaches of trying to get everyday things to work under linux. Linux takes work to run if you want to use the latest and greatest apps and want a fully functional environment. Being a *nix fanboy I've always loved what Apple was doing with OSX and so as soon as OSX x86 began I ran Deadmoo on a seperate partition of my 2.8 P4 system with 1 gig and a 9800 pro but couldn't get everything working. I recently bought a Mac Mini because I wanted to start recording my music and lets face it OSX has the best applications for audio and video developement. I got the Mac Mini over the iMac because I was squeemish about having the monitor built into the computer (I don't know why I just am) and because the Mini was just so damn affordable. I love my mini because everything just works and I don't have to f*** with anything. Apple has a great business model and I hope they never release a version of OSX for non-Apple systems. Why? Because if Apple doesn't have to worry about making sure everyone elses hardware, especially the crappy hardware, works on OSX they can spend more time developing new and great technologies for Apple computer users. Apple was brillant in adopted BSD technology. They took a secure, tried and true system and built a beautiful interface on top of it instead of creating a whole OS from scratch which would not have had anywhere near the amount of field experience as BSD has had nor the developer base. I applaud everything the OSX x86 team is doing and think it is marvelous, but there should never be a push for this project to become a way to pressure Apple into selling OSX for generic hardware. OSX x86 is great for those of us who like to tinker with everything and have the maximum upgradeability possible. But for the rest of the world who doesn't have time, as I no longer do, to sit around modifying scripts and configuration files so that the most basic components work, nothing beats a genuine Mac that just works.

I concur 99% (I prefer an iMac over a Mac mini ...I don't know but it has a "1984 Macintosh concept")