System-ID

SinrG202

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm trying to define my system ID so I can run 10.7. I've got 10.6 installed on a partition next to it, so have a working system to make changes from. Can someone tell me how/where I can find this. Is it anything to do with my Hardware id in system profile??

Secondly when I find it and define it in com.apple.Boot.plist do I put it in between the <string> tags??

Thanks

smbios.plist is not related to the System ID/hardware UUID, it is related to the Model Identifier.

Chameleon 2.0 RC5 sets a system-ID* automatically, there is no need to do anything.

*more precisely, it reads the system-ID from your motherboard BIOS and this is then converted into your "Hardware UUID" that you see in System Profiler. The SystemID and the Hardware UUID are not the same and cannot be the same.

You can override this via /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, but again, the system ID you set there will not be the same as the Hardware UUID that you end up with.

If you want to know more, this was explained in detail by Rekursor in the release thread for the version of Chameleon where this feature was added. Sorry I can't be more specific, I can't remember everything. ;) But the thread is here somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...