Creating a bootable Live US Linux

6 posts in this topic

I need to dual boot my lappy (currently has SL 10.6) with Ubuntu. I have tried following the instructions for creating a live USB on the ubuntu forums (using diskutil and hdiutil)but it keeps creating an apple partition, as well as giving me an "OS not found message" when booting the usb. Worked flawlessly when made from ubuntu. Unfortunately, my lappy no longer has a dvd drive, and my external has not worked since I got it. I tried from my iBook G4, my MBP is in Texas...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to create a live usb on mac for booting a PC? None of the utils I found have worked.

Thank you.

unetbootin now is on Mac! It takes the ISO and converts it to a bootable USB installer/live session. Here is the download: UNetBootIn for Mac. Im not sure if it is Intel only. Go ahead and give it a try.

EDIT: I just did a "Get Info" on the app and it is indeed an Intel only app. ;)

EDIT2: Take a look at this. Read this post for a rough guide and adapt it to your needs.

Link here.

The question is will that work at all on a PC running OS X?

Karim:

I think you should use the Windows version of unetbootin on a Windows PC (or in a Virtual PC running Windows on your OS X install).....since the USB stick will be booting on a PC, not a Mac.

I think the same thing will happen as you described in the first post but I guess we'll see.

ifrit: That looks useful, I "fixed" your link, hope you don't mind.