ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

imk

26 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get audio working with this board, which has an ALC892 device, and have had no such luck.

The HDEF section did not exist by default in the DSDT so I added it myself.

Along with that I've tried using various AppleHDA patchers, an original 10.6.2 version, etc. and nothing works.

I've attached three files, based on the 0501 firmware update found here: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z68-V_PRO/

The edits I made to the DSDT were mainly warning elimination, addition of my two graphics cards, and addition of the HDEF section.

Help is appreciated; thanks.

asus_p8z68_v_pro_0501_dsdt_edits.diff.txt

dsdt0501_unmodified.dsl.txt

dsdt0501_modified.dsl.txt

I've been trying to get audio working with this board, which has an ALC892 device, and have had no such luck.

The HDEF section did not exist by default in the DSDT so I added it myself.

Along with that I've tried using various AppleHDA patchers, an original 10.6.2 version, etc. and nothing works.

I've attached three files, based on the 0501 firmware update found here: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z68-V_PRO/

The edits I made to the DSDT were mainly warning elimination, addition of my two graphics cards, and addition of the HDEF section.

Help is appreciated; thanks.

you need dummy kext for your alc892. search on google or do it by yourself. http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...c=465&st=20

I still can't get anywhere with audio.

I've tried helper ALC892 kexts with a stock 10.6.7 AppleHDA.kext, a stock 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext, and modified versions of both. I have tried with and without DSDT edits.

It sees something there because it will spit out a ton of assertion errors. I can also look under system profiler and see the Intel HD Audio device there. It just can't find a valid configuration for it or something. I'm thinking deeper DSDT edits that are beyond me are needed.

I'm not sure what you mean by DSDT injection? That sounds identical to how I've been editing it myself, just that now something is automating it. Plus I'm not sure one exists for my particular motherboard yet.

Yes, I am using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

I have not tried to use OS X without that kext. As far as I know, no one has successfully managed to get this board to work without that kext yet. Although I honestly haven't tried to boot without it.

How to get the ALC892 work

1) Add this code in your DSDT:

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x09, 
					0x04
				})
			}
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x08)
					{
						"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x7C, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 
						"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x92, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 
						"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x11)
						{
							"ALC892"
						}, 
						"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

2) Clean up the AppleHDA.kext with this script:

#! /bin/bash
cd /usr/libexec
sudo ./plistbuddy -c "delete :IOKitPersonalities:HDA\ Platform\ Resource:Layouts" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo ./plistbuddy -c "delete :IOKitPersonalities:HDA\ Platform\ Resource:PathMaps" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist 
sudo ./plistbuddy -c "delete :IOKitPersonalities:HDA\ Hardware\ Config\ Resource:HDAConfigDefault" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

3) Patch the AppleHDA using the terminal

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x62\x02\xec\x10|\x92\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Enjoy!

Can you explain why we have a different PRW instead of the usual 0x09, 0x04?

Also, is 2) required or optional?

Thanks, I will include this in the DSDT for the P8P67.

I just tried the above and still do not have audio.

This is what has always spit out whenever I try to get it working.

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1667 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 202 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1667 goto Exit
Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 202 goto Exit

I'm not at my OS X system right now so I can't provide the exact file. However, it's completely identical to the modified one I uploaded in my original post, except that I updated the HDEF section with what you posted.

I think the DSDT is not the problem: Bu there are 2 different AppleHDA:

1.The normal -> HDA Hardware Config Resource + HDA Platform Resource are needed to changed in Info.plist.

2. The Sandy Bridge + Lion One (hase no more AppleHDAPlattformDriver.kext but xml files in Recources -> HDA Hardware Config Resource edited in Info plist + Platform.xml + layout892 ( its nearly the same as the HDA Platform Resource entry in Info.plist.

I've attached my current DSDT.

I got audio working, although I see even more sound assertion errors now.

For the audio, I found an ALC892 setup for Lion on kexts.com. Using the two kexts that came with it, it works now.

So far everything works that I need to. I never really use sleep so that's not a big deal if it doesn't work.

Thanks for all the help.

dsdt0501.dsl.txt

post-233475-1307297563_thumb.png

post-233475-1307297574_thumb.png

post-233475-1307297580_thumb.png

post-233475-1307297587_thumb.png

post-233475-1307297593_thumb.png

post-233475-1307297607_thumb.png

post-233475-1307297615_thumb.png

post-233475-1307297624_thumb.png

post-233475-1307297630_thumb.png

I edited my DSDT a little bit more. I used the latest iasl (as of posting this, it's 27/05/2011) and fixed any warnings and errors that appeared.

Here is the output of bdmesg:

http://pastebin.com/VfmHPFQA

And here is the output of my boot:

http://pastebin.com/17FmN8JU

You'll see all of the sound assertion messages. Audio still works so I'm not sure if I really want to pursue getting rid of these messages any further.

Here is the unmodified DSDT for firmware 0501:

http://pastebin.com/ih1kDE42

Here is my modified/updated DSDT for firmware 0501:

http://pastebin.com/prP65dZk

And finally, here is a .diff of the two:

http://pastebin.com/hN23sY5t

I recommend looking at the .diff link directly above to quickly and easily see the modifications I made to the DSDT.

If you are going to download any of the files from pastebin, make sure you click the DOWNLOAD text at the top of the page rather than copying/pasting the data.

The most sound assertion messages are because of u use the Lion kext. Maybe injecting Subsystem vendor and device id give less errors. So when u use the Apple HDA of the iMac update the 2 xml from the lion kext in Resources an Bin-patching i bet u get no errors.

Hi. I'm planning to build a computer with this motherboard, a i7 2600K CPU and GeForce GTX 560 Ti GPU. I know that the GPU is not supported but I will use the HD Graphics 3000 for Mac and in Windows I will use the Intel for normal use and for gaming LucidLogix Virtu will change to the GeForce GPU. Of course the screen will be connected to the DVI of the motherboard not the GeForce. My question is if it will possible with a DSDT patch that Mac recognize the Intel GPU?

• 4 weeks later...

hi imk

aim very new here but you postings helped me a lot cause i have the same mb

but i am stuck on audio

you wrote u used 2 kexts - which one do u use???

can you help me?

ist there a dsdt i could try also? without video?

my i worked nearly 4 days and nights on my new mackintosh getting nuts know

specs here will follow up soon in my signature after sleeping a little bit

thanks a lot

regards

I'm not actually using a DSDT anymore right now.

I'm running Lion GM with a DP4 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext patched with speedstepper.

For my graphics I use EFI injection.

What I would like to do is fully optimize my DSDT and get it working with Revoboot. Unfortunately Revoboot configuration seems beyond me and so are the DSDT edits. If I load my DSDT it will mess up the stuff I have going with speedstepper, and some other stuff.

hi imk

thanks 4 u answer

but

u wrote nothing how u got your alc892 audio working - what kext exactly u are using? still them from kexts.com? which one?

i only can use a very noisy voodoo 2.7.2 kext which is terrible on my system

PLEASE tell me - i am getting nuts with our audio and lion gm

maybe you can post or sent me the patched

DP4 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext u are using - we have the same boards and cpu

regards

norman

• 2 weeks later...
hi imk

thanks 4 u answer

but

u wrote nothing how u got your alc892 audio working - what kext exactly u are using? still them from kexts.com? which one?

i only can use a very noisy voodoo 2.7.2 kext which is terrible on my system

PLEASE tell me - i am getting nuts with our audio and lion gm

maybe you can post or sent me the patched

DP4 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext u are using - we have the same boards and cpu

regards

norman

Hi,

Though I do not use DSTD, If you want sound with "alc892" and asusp8z68ProV you can do the following:

Install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] v3.8 and pick

• [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]
  • On the sound driver, choose the rollback + real8xx + pick the legacy 892 from option tree.
  • intel network from net
  • System Utils

I did not install the voodoo, since it causes KP.

Sound seems fine without issues, but I need to make more through test ( like watching a movie or such )

Hope it will help

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I wanna buy this Asus P8Z68-V PRO board too, bu i cant see to much users of this mobo.

How is this board working on your Lion/SL builds?

I have returned my Gigabyte Z68 UD4 because I was getting the "cycling boot problems" and the board wasnt enable to mantain a decent overclock more then 4.0 GHz.

Do you think Asus P8Z68-V PRO it's a good choice?

I have returned my Gigabyte Z68 UD4 because I was getting the "cycling boot problems" and the board wasnt enable to mantain a decent overclock more then 4.0 GHz.

Do you think Asus P8Z68-V PRO it's a good choice?

No offence, but why OC at all :) , i'll never understand why people doing this, but it's your choice and your money, you're burning :dev: !

I think it's a good choice!

What about Bluetooth?

Atheros Chipset - Working ?

thx

CooSee ' Ya

It's still working perfectly fine here. I couldn't be happier with the results.

As far as OC'ing, the stock clock is 3,4ghz, and I'm running it at 4,8ghz - 5,0ghz. That's over 1,4 to 1,6ghz higher, or 41,18% to 47,06%. Those are pretty massive gains.

If you just use your desktop PC to browse the web and talk online, you don't want any "k"-series processors, or even an i7. You'll be fine with a cheap P67 board with an i3 or i5.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I also have this P8Z68-V PRO, I got my realtek ALC892 working, but not correctly. I've installed Lion two times, the first one I modified my DSDT, and got all the devices working, the second one I just installed Lion (with andy's method http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=261312), and removed his DSDT from /Extra; then added EFI strings and modified the Info.plist in NVDAGF100Hal.kext to add my gfx card's device-id (GTX 560). In both the installations whenever I try to play an audio file, or a video (downloaded or from youtube) the sound freezes. Let's say, every 3 or 4 seconds it freezes a moment, then for some other 10 seconds it will work, and so on...

In the first install I had created the device HDEF in DSDT, and used a modified AppleHDA for ALC892 (modified from the stock Lion next, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...LC892+appleHDA), in the second one there's an enabler kext and a patched appleHDA. I also tried with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], using appleHDA rollback and alc8xx (with the DSDT mod), but nothing changed. The really strange thing is that if I plug a headphone in the front-panel, audio plays perfectly. Then (in the first installation I also had sleep working) if I woke up Lion after sleep, the front-panel had freezes, the back port worked fine. Sleeping and waking for another time changed nothing. So, If I put Lion to sleep and wake it up, I get the audio working. Without sleeping, the front panel works fine. I tried unplugging from the motherboard the front-panel, but didn't get any better. During boot I see no sound assertion, in both installations. I have no idea where the problem is.

PS. I also used the HDEF device posted here, no differences...

I attached the DSDT I used, I commented what I did, but not everything...

Finally: Since I've a z68 chipset, I also used the integrated hd3000, but the audio was playing in the same way. Tried with and without dedicated graphics card; by now I've 2 GTX 560, but enabled only 1 with EFI strings in the second installation, in the first one I used EFI strings for both.

DSDT.dsl.zip

Checked all the devices IRQs, without DSDT I got:

0x00 @fec00000, P001-7 (all CPUs), pci8086,1c3a

0x01 P001-7 (all CPUs), GBE

0x02 HDEF, PIC, PWRB

0x03 SAT0

0x04 P0P1.display0, RTC0

0x05 P0P1.HDEF

0x06 P0P2.display0, SMC

0x07 P0P2.HDEF

0x08 RTC0

0x09

0x0a

0x0b HPET

0x0c HPET

0x0d COPR

0x0e

There are 3 HDEFs because I'm using an enabler, I think the ones under P0P1 and P0P2 are HDMI audio from the GTX 560...

Now I've removed the enabler and modified the DSDT, I only fixed the errors (DSDTEditor fixed them...) and added Device HDEF, renamed a few devices (RTC0, TMR, PIC, SBRG, COPR), added dropSSDT in chameleon config and used this SSDT table for P and C states of my i7-2600k: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1687122. Then I removed overclock, set mac model to MacBookPro8,3 in smbios.plist and checked with MSRDumper that P-states were working. According to http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...ost&p=15319 this freezes in audio playing may come from bad CPU Power Management; since I've got P-states and C-states working, I suppose CPU Power Management is OK, right?

I think my IRQ mapping are ok, I looked at an ioreg from an iMac12,2 and MacBookPro8,3 and found that HDEF had the same IRQ assingments (0x2, 0x16), IPIC had IRQ 0x2, HPET had already right IRQs, like TIMR (no IRQs...). Also, removing the enabler kext the HDEFs under P0P1 and P0P2 disappeared.

In iMac's and MacBookPro's DSDT I checked for the _PRW return values in HDEF, they are 0x09, 0x04, used them in my DSDT; under Apple's \_GPE I found that mac devices in _L0D check if OSDW is true (if OS=Darwin), then Notify ......HDEF, 0x02: added it in _L0D, without if, since I'm using Darwin... Still nothing changed.

I've been trying any solution I found for a week, It's not I didn't use search well, if I didn't find nothing it's because I'm not able to :), so has anyone an idea about where the problem may be? Are the IRQ assingments ok? In Windows I found that the Audio controller uses 3 IRQs, one shared with the first PCIe SLOT and the GFX card connected, another shared with a PCI bridge, only one not shared (all over 15, so not modifiable with DSDT IRQNoFlags...).