Anyone tried installing Snow leopard on AMD RS785E/SB820M + N36L CPU?

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone attempted to install Snow Leopard on a system with Athlon II NEO N36L CPU & AMD RS785E/SB820M chipset?

The setup I have had no success so far is a HP ProLiant N36L server, specs here:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quicksp.../13716_div.html

Tried 2 different methods, one with Hazard 10.6.2 AMD distro, which ended up waiting for Root Device from CD boot. Second attempt with Mohammed Khairy method from here but bootCD goes to blank screen.

I do not have a working Leopard install.

Please, any input/help would be great!

Update: Got a Snow Leopard Vanilla Install on a separate HDD, going to try installing Legacy kernel and see if i can get somewhere from there...

• 2 weeks later...
What about installing the free VMWare ESXi on the MicroServer and then installing OS X Server as a virtual machine?

Hi,

I'm trying to do this now but despite lots of different attempts i simply cannot get esxi to see or boot from the dvd.

i have a retail 10.6 server dvd and i've tried to create images using:

o diskutil on a mac

o dd

none of these have worked so far.

when i boot the VM i simply get 'operating system no found' and i cannot seem to get the dvd to be seen, even with going into the bios and setting 'cdrom device' ahead of 'hard disk'

it seems impossible using a mac (i have a mac desktop, remote desktop connection into a win xp VM running on the microserver which i am using to manage vsphere to in turn talk to the console of the would be snow leopard VM).

to press the right key combination to make things work.

so no luck from me so far either unless someone has advice..

What I'm understanding is that AMD laptops and OSX dont work together.. Learned my lesson, never gonna buy another AMD laptop. Neither AMD desktop even if it can be done. And ive been trying to install mac on my AMD phenom II laptop for 4 months now.

Get a Intel + Nvidia setup. You wont be disappointed....

if i had money i would get that or maybe a mac,but this is all i can afford :unsure:

Fear not, my good fellows! There is light at the end of this tunnel.

I have two of these little suckers and i've almost finished successfully configuring Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on one of them, which i have affectionately called Blackintosh :D

It has been a week of severe trial 'n' error and forum scanning, but my HP Proliant Micro Server n36L is nearly 100% up and running. Yay!

I just need to put it through its paces and test its overall stability.

I'm hoping to put together a full How To Guide + Kexts + com.apple.boot.plist file for download this weekend, but until then, here's what i have so far...

WORKING:

1. CPU: AMD Athlon II Neo N36L – Using Nawcom's ModUSB install method and his latest 'Legacy_Kernel' (Shows as Intel Core Duo 1,3Ghz in System Profiler).

2. RAM: 8Gb (Have to run in maxmem=4096 mode for now, until i can figure out how to boot into 64-Bit mode without a Kernel).

3. HHD: Both the original 250GB Seagate and my 2TB Seagate are working without any problems thus far.

4. Gigabit Ethernet: Finally working. Using a custom modified version of 'AppleBCM5701.kext' to identify the correct device-ID of 14e4:165b (Having some issues with a zeroed-out MAC address and acquiring automatic DHCP IP addresses, but this isn;t much of a problem for my current router set-up).

5. On-Board Graphics: Not sure?!? I haven't tried the onboard graphics as i had already installed an after-market Discrete Graphics Card.

6. Discrete Graphics: Asus EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD3(LP) / ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics - Using an 'ATI5000Controller.kext' from Lion 10.7 and an 'ATI5000injector.kext' on found on InsanleyMac forums (Working with full QE/CI acceleration / dual display / HDMI and DVI ports (VGA port is currently disconnected due to the custom-made low profile bracket i'm using which doesn't accommodate it - Oh, well!).

7. Bluetooth: A generic USB Adapter i had lying around plugged into the mainboard USB Port.

8. eSATA Port: Seems to be working just fine. I still need to do some more testing, though.

NOT QUITE WORKING:

1. Optical Drive: My after-market LG Super-Multi Drive is not recognised once Snow Leopard starts to boot.

This, i discovered late last night, is due to the fact that both the 5th SATA port (for the Optical Disk Bay) and the eSATA port run in SATA IDE Combined Mode* as specified by the BIOS. There is a BIOS hack available (i'm hoping to try it soon) which allows you to turn this setting off, thus running this port and the eSATA port separately and at full speed (3Gbps), which should fix this issue. But for now i've found that if an eSATA device is plugged in and turned on at the time of booting, the Optical Drive is suddenly recognised by Snow Leopard and then works fine.

*NB: This is the reason you're getting the dreaded "Waiting for Root Device" error when installing Snow Leopard using the ModCD install method from your DVD Drive… Strange! But true! I had the same problem months ago, when i first tried to install Snow Leopard... :)

2. Audio: There is no onboard audio anyway. But i have yet to figure out how to get any sound to play through the HDMI on my discrete graphics card. For now, i am just using a cheap generic USB audio adapter that seems to work perfectly :-)

Okay, i REALLY must get back to some work!

But for now, rest assured that this is entirely possible! And that a solution is at hand :D

Until then, hang in there, dudes.....

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

This is very interesting - I've recently got hold of the HP Proliant Microserver and have Ubuntu server running on it as a file server and vurtual machine host with OpenVPN running as a VM!

I did think about hacking it but decided not to - My main beef would be that I need RAID.

Could you tell me if you've had any luck getting RAID to work?

Cheers

D

I'm really not enjoying Ubuntu server - Having big problems with write access to the Samba shares from OS X.

I'll give it one more go tomorrow after some sleep but I'm starting to think VMware ESXi and bolt on the VMs I need.

A question to the wiser then me :-

I have a HW RAID1 setup on HP ProLiant MicroServer Athlon II Neo N36L. If I install VM ESXi and then run OS X server as a VM will ESXi pass the RAID to an OS X VM without the need for appropriate RAID drivers for OS X ??

I could make it easy and run ESXi and run FreeNAS as a VM along with my other VMs - but where would be the fun in that ???!

D

A question to the wiser then me :-

I have a HW RAID1 setup on HP ProLiant MicroServer Athlon II Neo N36L. If I install VM ESXi and then run OS X server as a VM will ESXi pass the RAID to an OS X VM without the need for appropriate RAID drivers for OS X ??

Yes, your integrated HW RAID1 is presented to ESXi just like any other OS.

ESXi places the disks for a VM inside a container file (VMDK) and that VMDK is then stored on your physical disks.

Yes, your integrated HW RAID1 is presented to ESXi just like any other OS.

ESXi places the disks for a VM inside a container file (VMDK) and that VMDK is then stored on your physical disks.

thanks for the reply auMouth - much appreciated.

D

Hey, peeps!

So sorry for the delay on this, i just had to wrap up another project first.

I haven't forgotten you all and the good news is that, i've typed up the bulk of the process and have given it one more test-run (from scratch) to see how it works and it's all good! WIN!

Just need to to add in a Work-In-Progres section, read it through one more time to check for mistakes and gather & upload all the relevant Files, Kexts & URLs.

With a little good fortune, i should have it up on site in the next 24 to 36 hours.

Wish me luck....

j.