[HowTo] Fix Network Problem with Intel PRO/100 VE

wtcnbrwndo4u

164 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Hi to everyone i have a Intel 946 GZIS motherboard with Intel PRO/100 VE with ID 0x10948086

Im posting this old kext from 10.4.6, that worked for me

I am using iDeneb 10.5.6 v1.4 installed in GPT partition 1.0.12 Chamaleon and using this kernel:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

so if to someone this enables Networking say thanks....

Standard discaimer applies: Im not responsible for anything, but i will try to help if i know how.....

Also if someone knows a fix for Sigmatel 9227 PM me thanks...!!!! :) :)

------------------------------------

!!!...LINK Intel PRO/100 VE 10.5.6 Ready LINK...!!! :) :)

Open up Terminal and type in the following

Open Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions.

Reboot.

Completed! Open up System Preferences/Network and you should see your Built-In Ethernet

It looks like it doesn't work in leopard anymore. Besides, /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache doesn't exist anymore.

Mac's manpage for kextcache recommends just a "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions".

That did not work either.

Hey, I had the same problem, and this file with the bundled instructions (which I followed) worked wonders:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=7135

Also, why is it that the only right DVD is the JaS 10.4.8? If you do not install that first before using the ToH Leopard install, you need the DVD inside your comp on boot.

I actually had a flawless install prior to using the software update to 10.5.1, after which my comp wouldn't even load. So I had to start from scratch and installed only Leopard and got a myriad of problems (DVD need for boot, network, etc.). I followed my footsteps, used JaS install, made sure everything was working, and then upgraded to Leopard. For some reason, Tiger works fine with only the IONetworking.kext, but Leopard does not.

I should add that I did one other thing, so forgive me for not knowing which is responsible for the fix. Within IONetworking.kext, there's an AppleIntel8255x.kext too. I replaced that one with the linked file above. So I had two of the same modified AppleIntel8255x.kext's: one in /System/Library/Extensions, and another inside the IONetworking.kext.

I hope it works for other people! Drove me crazy having to restart and hope for internet!

Thanks a bunch. This resolved my issue too...

Thanks a million again...

Now on to my display issues :)

ok i figured out what the problem is. technically the guide is perfect, except you have to put in your actual device id and vendor id.

--boot into XP (idk if you can do this in osx if its not working to begin with, or if you even can in osx at all)

--Right-click on My Computer and go to Manage

--On the left, click Device Manager

--expand Network stuff

--right-click on the Pro 100/VE device, click properties

--click the details tab

--the first two parts of the long string in the window are what you need.

----it will say PCI\VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX....... etc

----note those two XXXX values. for my Pro 100/VE the vendor id was the same 8086 but the device id was 1092

--write those down and reboot to osx

--go back to the Info.plist file from the guide above and use the new 0x[device id][vendor id] instead of the one in the guide.

for me this just meant using 0x10928086 instead of 0x27dc8086. i did the rest of the guide the same, sudo rm etc.... and then restarted and it worked. i just used the network assistant and it connected to the network and now my osx is much more useful!

Hi everybody,

would it be possible to get the device id out of the M$ Driver .inf file?

I hve a Sony VAIO VGN-AR31S and in the .inf file of the driver there is a section for Sony:

; Sony/Asus

%PCIE100EMBLOM.DeviceDesc% = D110KSA.ndi, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1064&SUBSYS_81A1104D

%PCIE100EMBLOM.DeviceDesc% = D110KSA.ndi, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_81F3104D

Would this be correct that the device id should be 1064 or 27dc?

If this is correct would be possible to extend the info.plist with all device id's from the .inf file?

Think this would be to easy, or?

I'm just installing Vista to get the correct device id... ;-)

greets

Zope

• 2 weeks later...

i tried most of these tutorials..bt still cant get my internet to work....everything else is working wonderful!

I have an intel dual core 2.0

intel d945 chipset

2gb ram

XFX 8600GT Fatal1ty

and running iPC 10.5.6!

Please guys i really need help...even vakakush'z HOW TO is not working!

i tried most of these tutorials..bt still cant get my internet to work....everything else is working wonderful!

I have an intel dual core 2.0

intel d945 chipset

2gb ram

XFX 8600GT Fatal1ty

and running iPC 10.5.6!

Please guys i really need help...even vakakush'z HOW TO is not working!

my device is 0x27dc8086 (Intel Pro/100 VE NIC) and same specs as laeeq007 except videocard. I tried upgrade to iPC 10.5.6 after formatted Kalyway 10.5.2. Because i need some software required to use 10.5.6.

I have same problem as laeeq007. i found working Kext but the problem is always getting not working and rarely to get working. And It always said "Cable unplugged". I already tried to fix with "-f" mode in boot, clear extension cache, permission, everything what i followed instruction from someone of this forum. :( How can i fix this solve?

Im currently use iPC PPF5 final 10.5.6.

hope someone will help and share each other...

I'll be wait...

-AlienX2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't see this posted, so I'm making a HowTo.

Anyways, this for when you have Intel PRO/100 VE. When you go into System Preferences/Network and your Built-In Ethernet is not show/grayed out, this is the fix for you.

You are required to add a product ID AppleIntel8255x.kext, which is located here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If you don't know how to get into the kext, right click it and choose "Show Package Contents."

Anyways, you will find the following line.

You will have to add the following bit to the end of that line.

In the end, it will look like this:

Save the .plist file (save it to the desktop with the name "Info.plist" and then drag it into the Contents folder for AppleIntel8255x.kext. It will ask for authentication, which you say yes to (must type password if you have one).

Reboot.

Completed! Open up System Preferences/Network and you should see your Built-In Ethernet

I've got some of it to work, i just need a link for the Extensions.kextcache file to finish it up

if you email me a link or post it, that would be very much appreciated,

Thx,

Asian

Thanks to various people for the Intel 100/PRO Ethernet fix. After several hours' of fettling my Hackindell is finally online. :)

Just in case it helps someone I'll outline the steps I took:

Dell 5150c with P4 3.4GHz SSE3; 2Gb DDR2 RAM; Maxtor 250Gb SATA with 3 primary partitions (created using Diskpart from within XP)

Installed Iatkos 4i (10.5.4) with Darwin Boot and Apple ACPI (i.e first two boxes ticked) also SATA (first of the two SATA options) and Intel Pro 100 optional drivers. Nothing else.

Speedstep switched off in BIOS, Hyperthreading left on.

This installed fine but Ethernet registered as Cable Unplugged.

Attempted the first fix on this thread, i.e adding 0x27dc8086 to the .plist.

However sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache resulted in file not found.

So instead I tried sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext which worked.

Then sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Then Open Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions and reboot. Still not working.

Followed up with c0ldgirl's fix:

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

then I added -f under the kernel flags section

then ctrl+x

then y

then enter

(Also changed the timeout to 20 so I have more time to switch between Leopard and XP).

Still not working. So I booted in verbose mode using -v flag then checked the log using

sudo dmesg

and found

"skipping duplicate extension com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8255x"

Hmm that didn't sound good. So I went hunting and sure enough in /System/Library/Extensions

there was another AppleIntel8255x.kext

So I edited the Info.plist in this as well, adding 27dc8086 as detailed in post 1 of this thread.

On rebooting my Ethernet finally worked.

For fun I tried removing the -f kernel flag added previously but it seems to need that. I should probably remove one of the AppleIntel8255x.kext but don't want to risk it for the moment. I bet if I hadn't ticked the option to add this driver in Iatkos there would not be a duplicate problem.

I love you!!! you saved my life!!!

It's not working for me. I've followed pretty much all the guides here, and my ethernet controller doesn't show up.

I've got an Intel 82801 G (Pro/100 VE) controller with device id 8086:1092. Whatever I do, it says the network cable is unplugged.

Funny thing is, the 'Ethernet Controller' in the system preferences shows up with MAC address 00:13:... which is the MAC of my wireless interface, an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945. So it detects the wireless card, which doesn't work because the driver isn't ready yet, instead of my wired controller... Does anyone know how this works?

here is what i do to make it work in leopard:

right click /System/Library/Extensions folder and click "Get Info", click the padlock button below and enter your root password when prompted then click the "+" icon and add your user account giving it read+write permission then click ok..

open the Extensions folder and find IONetworkingFamily.kext then drag and drop it on the desktop or some place(backup is a good idea). now, unzip the file that i attached below and drag it in /System/Library/Extensions.

delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (you can delete it on the finder or by typing this on the terminal "sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

repair permission and reboot your system

if all goes well, you should be able to see your network card listed.

if it happens that you see your network card but says that there is no ethernet cable plugged in, just delete/System/Library/Extension.mkext and reboot your system. it may or may not resolve the issue but in my case it works so just give it a try..

Worked Awesomely.

Using iDeneb 10.5.5 installed on an Intel 915GUX - 3.06 Celeron - 1 gb ram, 32 MB onboard Graphics*

You might want to check my signature :)

http://sites.google.com/site/osx86guides/H...work-connection

I did and using your plan kinda worked with a few mods.

Somehow I 'lost' Show Package Contents and I couldn't find it anywhere as I inadvertantly assigned TextEdit to open up plist files. If someone could tell me where/how I can reconnect the default, I'll be happy.

So I had to use TextEdit.

• I deleted AppleIntel8255x.kext from System/Library/Extensions
  • I copied IONetworkingFamily.kext from S/L/E onto the desktop
  • I already had downloaded AppleIntel8255x.kext.zip from this site somewhere and copied the unzipped folder to the Desktop.
  • I opened the fresh AppleIntel8255x.kext folder and found another, exactly the same folder within it. This was probably why none of the other methods worked! After burrowing into the Contents in both folders, I opened the info.plist and replaced all vendor ids with the one below:
  • My Vendor ID looked like a dec and not hex - but with that sorted (0x10848086), I saved it.
  • You weren't clear on the next step: I had to drag and drop the AppleIntel8255x.kext folder onto the Contents/Plugins folder in IONetworkingFamily.kext. I double checked to see if the info.plist still had the correct vendor id (it did). I got trapped by that with other methods.
  • Then, using Kext Helper B7 (from OSx86tools - installed with iDeneb 10.5.5), I dragged and dropped the altered IONetworkingFamily.kext folder into it, clicked the easy install button and Presto Changeo the system immediately found my onboard Intel NIC! - NO CHMODS, permissions or anything!
  • I set it up as DHCP + router IP and within seconds I had connection!
  • I rebooted anyway and everything is working fine!

So thanks very much! :D

* This is a new board I bought a few years ago. Customised BIOS by IPC - but basically an Intel. I had it lying around for all that time and was surprised to find that it had some overclocking abilities.

If you have one of these boards, then after a while the mouse cursor dissappears. It looks like if everything is frozen, but I soon worked out it had something to do with power management. There must be a hack for that as when I set sleep/screen saver etc to NEVER - I avoided the problem.

Glad you got it working!

The guide is meant to use a stock IONetworkingFamily.kext (already has AppleIntel8255x.kext inside), that's why there's no "drag and drop" AppleIntel8255x.kext to Plugins folder. Also the guide is based in stuff that's been around, with my only experience added.. none of that was invented by me.

"Show Package Contents" is accessed via right click on kexts, pkgs, apps, etc... they are folders that the system

handles as files.. it has nothing to do with plists or TextEdit app!??

What are yoou talking about? :)

"Show Package Contents" is accessed via right click on kexts, pkgs, apps, etc... they are folders that the system

handles as files.. it has nothing to do with plists or TextEdit app!??

What are yoou talking about? :)

I know that. It's just that it dissappeared from the right click menu AFTER I inadvertantly set the .plist file type to open only with TextEditor. I'm a Windows user and have little experience in Linux/Debian/OSx - but good with early Mac systems like System 6+.

I looked for an app that might just revert these files back, you know - like "Open With...", but I can't find anything that remotely resembles it. Now if only OSx had a Registry..... :D

The guide is meant to use a stock IONetworkingFamily.kext (already has AppleIntel8255x.kext inside), that's why there's no "drag and drop" AppleIntel8255x.kext to Plugins folder. Also the guide is based in stuff that's been around, with my only experience added.. none of that was invented by me.

Yep. That's where what I did was a bit different. I had a fresh copy of AppleIntel8255x.kext and I deleted the versions installed by iDeneb AND the one found in IONetworkingFamily.kext!

I made dumb mistakes and made a few general errors over the whole install, but by dragging and dropping the altered AppleIntel8255x.kext and using Kext Helper B7, it worked.

I'm a bit more confident about modding these files and the Projext OS X site is a great one to start with. Thanks for that link too!

My mistake. That's weird.. Are you sure it's caused by the change you made?

Right click a plist file, select "Get Info", in the window go to "Open with:" and change to another app. To change globally,

click in the "Change All..." button.

You can take a try at this preference pane too.

If the guide helped you in any way (it seems so), it's fine to me ;)

Stay safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyways, this for when you have Intel PRO/100 VE. When you go into System Preferences/Network and your Built-In Ethernet is not show/grayed out, this is the fix for you.

You are required to add a product ID AppleIntel8255x.kext, which is located here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If you don't know how to get into the kext, right click it and choose "Show Package Contents."

Save the .plist file (save it to the desktop with the name "Info.plist" and then drag it into the Contents folder for AppleIntel8255x.kext. It will ask for authentication, which you say yes to (must type password if you have one).

Reboot.

• 5 weeks later...

I went to Azimutz's page and went thru it (thanks for the work Azimutz! I never would have figured that one out.) and what I found worked for me was deleting the AppleHPET.kext. It was screwing up my firewire and network. I haven't found a problem living without AppleHPET either but it is early.

Khan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone... i got an intel 945-GTP witn intel 10/100 pro ve built-in

I installed iAtkos 10.5.5 and fixed the LAN with some patch on internet (IONetworkingfamily.kext)

Now i got interet BUT it says Internet Adaptor (en2) in the System Preferences.

This is a problem for me because the mac and all the programs dont see a built-in network (wich makes time machite to not work). my vendorid is 27dc.

if any of you guys got it working like Built-in please post your IONetworkingfamily.kext...

If u know a way to fix my problem some other way. Please let me know too..

Thanks In Advance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reboot.

Hi

I have tried all the fixes, but non seams to work with my dell dimension 5150, it does not see my intel pro 100ve (8086:27dc) integrated in the motherboard, I don't know what to do.

I am using ideneb 1.4 10.5.6, and some thing wired is happening with appleintel8255.kent it does not exist out of the box, so I have to copy it to ionetworkingfamily.kent to create it.

thanks!!

pls help.