Nvidia PCIE 2.0 ability - Anyone got it? (ie 5.0 GT/s vs 2.5)

rominator

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm working on some issues affecting Resolve with Fermi cards and was consulting with a certain genius buddy of mine.

We have come upon some interesting things regarding full PCIE 2.0 function on Macs and Hacks.

Has anyone got an Nvidia card running at full 2.0 spec? This would be 16 lanes at 5.0 GT/s.

You can check this in System Profiler under "PCI Cards" or in IOReg as IOPCIExpresslinkstatus where 1101 is 2.5 and 1102 is 5.0

An even better way to check is to install CUDA and then run CUDA-Z to check memory throughput to CPU.

I am attaching results from that test.

I am curious if anyone has 5.0 working on an Nvidia card in a hack and if so how they have done this.

480_50.html

480___25.html

post-307971-1302564416_thumb.jpg

post-307971-1302564429_thumb.jpg

Interesting. Mine says 2,5 GT/s. Is it possible that it could be just cosmetic? What should the memory throughput be like in CUDA-Z at 5.0 GT/s?

You probably know this already but just in case:

Screen_shot_2011_04_11_at_9.45.33_PM.png

It's in System/Library/CoreServices. I remember being able to run that on 10.5.x when using (if I recall correctly) MacPro2,1 for model identifier. I think it's supposed to let you assign the available lanes or link speeds or whatever it's called among the PCI-E slots. Of course it doesn't do anything on a PC but maybe this utility will be useful somehow in finding the information you're looking for.

You probably saw this already too but what the hell, look,

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1668143

Compare Graebags' screenshot to mine. Does that mean his is doing 5.0 GT/s?

Yes, if you look at both of my outputs, one is while card was at 2.5, the other at 5.0.

The memory throughput DOUBLES.

So, the question is how did Graebags get his card at 5.0?

ie, what Init or injector is he using?

Pretty sure the numbers are as easy to decipher as it looks. At 2.5 GT/s you get max of 2600, while at 5.0GT/s you get 5600

If you hit "export" from the app you get the HTML report with all the stuff on one page.

Yeah sorry, I don't know how I missed that. :thumbsup_anim:

Well at least I found someone for you who has 5 GT/s working.

EDIT

I didn't know this, but in Windows, my GTX 460 will switch back and forth between PCI-E 1.1 and 2.0 depending on what it's doing.

Verified with GPU-z & running OpenGL Extensions Viewer in a window.

IOReg and SYS profile both indicate slower speed than CUDA-Z, I think.

Which means that the answer to...

Mine says 2,5 GT/s. Is it possible that it could be just cosmetic?

...is yes. And that means it just got harder to figure out why it isn't working for me.

Am I looking in the correct spot in IOReg?

Yes I believe so.

What injection method are you using? I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC5 GraphicsEnabler.

Which means that the answer to...

...is yes. And that means it just got harder to figure out why it isn't working for me.

Yes I believe so.

What injection method are you using? I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC5 GraphicsEnabler.

Ahh, yes. It appears that both of the methods of checking aren't accurate.

Netkas was able to get his to say "5.0" but it gave CUDA speeds that said "2.5"...so I think ultimately using CUDA-Z or the Bandwidth test is going to be what matters.

It appears that System Profiler may as well say "Purple Petunias" for all it's bearing on Hacks.

Frustrating, but glad I asked.

have 1gb 8800gt here which works fine in 5.0GT/s mode

btw, best wayto check is to use lspci -vvv -s you:dev.ice

cuz sometimes driver can switch card from 5gt/s to 2.5 gt/s mode, and this change will not be indicated by sysprofiler.