Mobility 4570 Energy saving

leo90

16 posts in this topic

Hi! I have a Dell Studio 1555 with mobility 4570. I have followed the posts and now I can get QE/CI and full resolution BUT the problem is the fan that doesn't switch off. How I can manage energy and power saving feature of this GPU?

Is your CPU working with NATIVE speedstep?? That was my problem, my cpu was working always at 100% and the temperatures were too high. When I patched correctly my DSDT and I was able to use AppleCPUPowerManagement my temps become lowers.

You can try to use smbios from a imac 10,1 (if you have a C2D cpu) or 11,1 (if you have a I series CPU)

Is your CPU working with NATIVE speedstep?? That was my problem, my cpu was working always at 100% and the temperatures were too high. When I patched correctly my DSDT and I was able to use AppleCPUPowerManagement my temps become lowers.

You can try to use smbios from a imac 10,1 (if you have a C2D cpu) or 11,1 (if you have a I series CPU)

Yes it is working with Native speedstep cause I was abled to patch my DSDT. Maybe The problem is that there isn't the powersave feature for Ati Cards on Snow leopard ^_^ How can my laptop be useful if the battery run down in no time?

leo, chiedo scusa per l'off-topic, potresti dirmi come hai fatto ad attivare QE/CI con quella scheda su quel pc?

che versione di osx hai montato ? e che kext hai usato per la scheda videooo? sono disperato!!

Allora devi usare Snow 10.6.6. Poi scaricati il file in allegato e sostituisci il file "boot" sulla tua partizione Mac con il boot peregrine. Mi raccomando rinomina il boot peregrine come "boot". Poi installa Atiframebuffer.kext e Ati4500controller.kext

Ah dimenticavo! Devi usare l'ultima versione di Chamelion

Mobility_4570.tar.gz

Grazie Leo, ascolta ma tu hai usato la hazard 10.6.2 e poi hai aggiornato?

Scaricati la hazard 10.6.6. a me per qualche strano motivo la 10.6.2. non mi fa partire l'installer

Yes it is working with Native speedstep cause I was abled to patch my DSDT. Maybe The problem is that there isn't the powersave feature for Ati Cards on Snow leopard :angry: How can my laptop be useful if the battery run down in no time?

Allora devi usare Snow 10.6.6. Poi scaricati il file in allegato e sostituisci il file "boot" sulla tua partizione Mac con il boot peregrine. Mi raccomando rinomina il boot peregrine come "boot". Poi installa Atiframebuffer.kext e Ati4500controller.kext

Ah dimenticavo! Devi usare l'ultima versione di Chamelion

I used the kexts from here, as I have the exact same graphics card as you, however I get a blank screen with only the backlight on - how can I fix this?

Many thanks :D

Ati and Nvidia powerclock throttling settings is controlled inside /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. ( Info.plist inside that )

PP = POWERPLAY, this is the option to have energy saving enabled in a ATI card:

"PP_GFXClockGatingEnabled" means that the cards clock can run with different speeds, adjusting to load. 1 or true will activate this, 0 or false turns it off

"CFG_NO_PP" = TRUE is Energysaver OFF. FALSE is Energysaving ON.

for me (Shrike FB) this is working from ATIFramebuffer.kext, all Energysettigns activated :

<key>Shrike_Personality</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.kext.ATIFramebuffer</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>ATIFramebuffer</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOFramebuffer</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>ATY,Shrike</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>65000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPlatformDevice</string>

<key>aty_config</key>

<dict>

<key>CFG_NO_PP</key>

<false/>

</dict>

<key>aty_properties</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>key</key>

<string>PP_GFXClockGatingEnabled</string>

<key>value</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

this is my Powerstates ( imac10,1 for my Toshiba C2Duo Laptop with 4650 mobility from AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

<key>iMac10,1</key>

<dict>

<key>IGPU</key>

<dict>

<key>BoostPState</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<integer>2</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

</array>

<key>BoostTime</key>

<array>

<integer>3</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

<integer>3</integer>

</array>

<key>Heuristic</key>

<dict>

<key>ID</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IdleInterval</key>

<integer>100</integer>

<key>TargetCount</key>

<integer>5</integer>

<key>Threshold_High</key>

<array>

<integer>80</integer>

<integer>80</integer>

<integer>80</integer>

<integer>100</integer>

</array>

<key>Threshold_Low</key>

<array>

<integer>0</integer>

<integer>90</integer>

<integer>90</integer>

<integer>90</integer>

</array>

</dict>

In real world usage this has the effect that the Laptop boots with the fan blowing, after around 40 seconds in OSX it goes silent , entering a low powerstate and stays that way, until I launch 3D apps ( games , imovie or extensive watching videos) then it is blowing at full speed - later medium, but will again go silent when that app/video/game has been quit. For the most time ( surfing, office ) the card is in that low power mode and only minimal sound of the fan is heard.

I use no Disablers or Nullcpu*.kexts and run the vanilla apple kernel in x64 mode - osx 10.6.7 - the Laptop is very stable, I can have it all day long on without a problem , also no overheating problem in the last days.

On battery I tested only shortly for around one hour , no fail. ( battery in Windows lasts only 1.45 hrs )

• 2 months later...

i'm not sure what was actually done here?

i'm running the kexts that leo90 posted in his studio 1555 thread, they work very well for qe/ci, however the fan is running constantly due to high power usage. i'm using native power management for the cpu, but just from reading your post i don't know what (if anything) is supposed to be changed in the graphics kexts to enable the power gating.

leo90, can you let us know what you changed, what worked? i tried changing smbios.plist to iMac10,1 but the situation is the same as before.