Simple Dual-Boot Installation

Gaber

28 posts in this topic

What will be used-

Leopard DMG

Boot Camp

Disk Utility

NOTE: This was done on an Intel based Mac. Im not sure if it will work on other systems, since I have no way to test.

-Open boot camp, make a partition. (Pretty easy to figure out, if you really need help doing that, just ask)

-In Disk Utility, Choose the new partition, and erase it so that its formated to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled), name it whatever you want.

-Mount the Disk Image

-Go into "Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/" and open "OSinstall.mpkg"

-Follow directions, when your done, reboot. When the white screen pops up, hold alt and choose the hard drive with Leopard on it.

Enjoy!

If you need any further detail/help, feel free to ask here.

(Sorry if someone already posted this way to install, I didn't see it anywhere else, so Im asumming it hasn't been posted.

Huh? This is meant for dual booting Leopard and Tiger. Sorry if that confused anyone.

Is there anyway to run Boot Camp on a PPC mac. Can you hack the application or trick it into running. I just need to make one more lowsy partition. Can someone please help

You are wanting to do this to run leopard and tiger Im asuming? Or Leopard/Tiger and XP? Because XP, you will need to have boot camp. But if its leopard and tiger, I would suggest using iPartition to repartition your drives safely, then proceed with the rest of my instructions.

Gaber, thanks for the help in installing leopard, however I have a problem, after installing Leopard and setting it up, im left at a blue screen in which I can move my mouse, but i can't do anything else.

In Tiger, set Leopard as the start up disk, restart, and when you get the white screen at startup, hold shift. It may seem like it will never start, but it does. This boots it into safe-mode.

Hey There!

I got really far, installing, welcomescreen, and the usual fill-in stuff...

BUT THEN... nothing... a blue screen (thank god this is not windows, hehe)

booting in safe mode doesn't make a difference either...

spent two days trying to see a glimpse of leopard, but no such luck...

any suggestions, anyone??

cheers, BUXEY

oh...

i did exactly as the above,

on a dual 2ghz MacBook Pro!

HELP :)

You are wanting to do this to run leopard and tiger Im asuming? Or Leopard/Tiger and XP? Because XP, you will need to have boot camp. But if its leopard and tiger, I would suggest using iPartition to repartition your drives safely, then proceed with the rest of my instructions.

I want to dynamically repartition my 8 gig drive into 3 parts. 1 tiger, 2 Leopard install drive, 3 leopard install target but I dont have boot camp because im running a PPC mac not Intel.

Don't have much help there for you, ask around.

And Buxey-

I had to hold my shift key for the longest time, probably 5-10 minutes, then it booted. Second time I had to do safe mold again, because it went blue, 3rd time, it all worked, and has worked since then. Don't mean to sound like Im just repeating myself, but hold shift for a LONG time, haha. I was about to shut down after holding for like 8 minutes, then all of a sudden it started up. Hope you get it working!

I was trying the other meathod with 2 hard drives and disk utility would keep saying "file or folder non existant" then after a couple trys it says that the source is in use or sumthin, am i going to have the same problem?

thx,

OptiX

Optikz- Sorry, could you re-word that, Im not quite sure what you are trying to say...

And Buxey- No problem man!

Try this:

On desktop, right click "disk0s3", then in "Ownership & Permissions:", choose to "Ignore ownership on the volume".

I had the same problem, I think thats what I did.

Boot the your 1st Tiger install disk, instead of installing tiger, go to utilities and choose disk utility, then erase it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then proceed get back on Tiger and boot the OSinstall.mpkg, and be on your way to enjoying leopard!

i dunno if its me being impatient but when i put the install disk in it takes forever to load just has the apple and the little timer under it going for a long time and i get impatient and just boot normal and do other stuff.

Let it boot, if even it means you go in the other room for 10 minutes, do it. You can't know unless you try.

I don't know, Im just saying, give it some time...Im not sure about doing it through disk utility, you can try I guess.

Hi Gaber,

Thanks a lot for your method, it seems to work (installation is in progress...)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...533;entry171487

lion,

Hi Gaber,

I'm installing Leo on a 9 Go partition.

The installation stuck around end of BSD Subsystem installation.

In fact when I check with the Activity Monitor the following task is still alive and running :

- Installer

When I inspect Installer with the menu "Files and Ports opened" I find the last two command lines :

/dev/urandom

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom

Archive.bom is a 140,1 Mo package containing:

- Archive.bom 3.3 Mo

- Archive.pax.gz 136.5 Mo

- Info.plist 4 Ko

- version.plist 4 Ko

- Resources directory

Any idea ?

Thanks,

lion