Will optical audio out work on the Realtek ALC850?

LaminarFlow

21 posts in this topic

I did some searches of the forum and the wiki, but couldn't find anything solid. I have an MSI 915GVM3-V with the 8 channel Realtek ALC850 audio, including an optical out. I'd like to connect it to the optical in on my Sony receiver, but before I get the cable, I'd like to know if it works. If no one's tried it, I suppose I'll go ahead and stick my neck out there. What's $5.50 for a good cause anyway?

FYI here's what MSI's site says:

Audio

• AC97 link controller integrated in ICH6

• Realtek ALC850 8 channels audio codec

- Meet PC2001 audio performance requirement

- Compliance with AC97 v2.3 spec.

Thanks!

As far as I know, no it doesn't work. I've tried it too. I went out and bought the add on digital out board. From what I gathered. The optical out is activated only when the drivers are installed for it. The optical jack will light when the windows drivers are installed. When they are not installed, no light. For os x, the light is never on. I would assume it needs drivers. If anyone knows something otherwise, please let us know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It works! I got a $5 cable off of eBay. I connected the optical out with the optical in on my receiver and chose the right output, and bam, it worked in Windows. I went into OS X and chose 'SPDIF' as the sound out in System Preferences, and it works great! The only problem is that I can't listen between my small computer speakers and large receiver at the same time, I have to switch between them. Oh well.

Cool. I wasn't able to get to work. I have an addon digital out board for my motherboard. For some reason, it doesn't light up up in os x. Which means it's disabled. I'd love to get it to work though.

WOOOOO! Y'all read my damn mind! I was just about to post the same question, as my system is for audio purposes and my main soundcard isnt seen by OSX, Im forced to use the onboard audio, Realtek ALC850. The thing is, I didnt want to use the analogue outs (too noisy, not enuff gain, channel issues with certain software), so Im forced to use the digi outs, but I wasnt sure if theyd be working or not. Im only concerned if you dont have choice between optical or coax, my board has both, but I can only use coax as my mixer only has coax ins. But now I cant wait to get home and try em out!! This {censored} gets better and better!

pet1, your analgoue outs work, and you have same, realtek ALC850? When you said you bought an addon board it suprised me, I thought most boards with ALC850 had spdif built in. Of course i could be quite wrong with that...

• 1 month later...

This is weird. I have 2ch sound with my new A8N5X motherboard with ALC850 bulit-in sound, but the spdif isn't lit and I can't choose to enabled spdif as output. Why dosen't it work on my ASUS board when it works on the MSI?!

What vendor and device ID's do you guys have?

Mine has ven 10DE and dev 0059.

This is weird. I have 2ch sound with my new A8N5X motherboard with ALC850 bulit-in sound, but the spdif isn't lit and I can't choose to enabled spdif as output. Why dosen't it work on my ASUS board when it works on the MSI?!

What vendor and device ID's do you guys have?

Mine has ven 10DE and dev 0059.

Where are you finding these IDs? In my system profiler, when I choose 'Audio (Built In)' it tells me no information was found.

i actualy figured it out,you have to select the 2nd device to set properties for,then choose 6ch and speaker config...

but its really weird...only 2 channels are working,every time i play a diff file or load a diff flash or whatever,it plays off some other speaker (like rear,woofer,front) every time its different,and never all speakers are used....HOW RARE !

• 3 weeks later...
every time i play a diff file or load a diff flash or whatever,it plays off some other speaker (like rear,woofer,front) every time its different,and never all speakers are used...

same here

MB ASUS K8N, nForce3 250 chipset, Audio Realtek ALC850

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I have a K8N-E Deluxe with the ALC850 and SPDIF isn't listed as an output option. Which kexts did you guys usE?

Bump! I'm turning blue in the face trying to find out how to get my Asus k8ne-deluxe Optical out to work! It also uses ALC850, and the optical lights up, but I can't choose it as an output..

What kext could give us this fucntionality?

It works! I got a $5 cable off of eBay. I connected the optical out with the optical in on my receiver and chose the right output, and bam, it worked in Windows. I went into OS X and chose 'SPDIF' as the sound out in System Preferences, and it works great! The only problem is that I can't listen between my small computer speakers and large receiver at the same time, I have to switch between them. Oh well.

What's your device ID? My ALC850 doesn't have a SPDIF option in System Preferences.