For those who are having trouble installing Leopard. Try this.it works.

RideMotoX559

18 posts in this topic

Alright I tried alot of methods to install Leopard with no luck. I figured out this method that will definately work. I dont know if it was already discussed but here ya go.

This can work with your existing hard-drive, but it works best with a fresh external HD.

1. You need to create two separate partitions they need to be big enough to install Leopard on, its your call how big.

2. Next, you need to restore the Leopard DMG file onto one of the Partitions using Disk Utility, its quite simple.

3. Once that is done, then go to your system prefs. and change your Startup Disc to the partition you restored the DMG onto.

4. Once you have chosen the Partition in system prefs. click restart.

5. If you did everything right, once the computer starts up it should run the Leopard Install.

6. Follow all the steps, and when it asks for destination for install, choose the other partition youve made(thats the only one youll be able to see anyway, aside from your main HD.)

7. Once the installation is finished it should boot straight to Leopard.

Ta-da baby!! Tell me if it works. :)

post-51410-1155874382_thumb.gif

Yes, it worked great for me! Thanks! I tried all the other ways of doing an install mentioned here. All had road blocks that kept them from working. I followed your method but used a seperate internal 13 GB hard drive I had laying around. Used another partition on my main drive for the install files. Only issue I had my built in ethernet port wasn't seen by networking . So no internet bummer! It is seen by file sharing odd. Solved this by installing an old Digital PCI ethernet card I have . It is seen as build in ethernet odd but glad it works. I knew this card worked without drivers for both OSX & Widows so thought it might work. It does seem clear different machines work differently more so then previous OSX's. Everything seems good and it seems to be stable. Time will tell more on that.

Running 10.5 on my old B&W with G4 650 Daystar Zif upgrade and Nvidia 5500 128 MB PCi card in the 66 MHz slot. This gives me core image and Quartz extreme in both 10.4 & 10.5 !!  

Yep. It worked fine here. I restored it onto a 6 GB internal partition and installed it on another 10 GB internal partition :censored2:

Leopard is going to be very nice. ATM, it is WIP but it is extemely stable. I am using all kinds of apps and one hasn't crashed yet. Time Machine is a bit clumsy but I think that has got to do with the system memory(512 MB) more than anything.

Alright I tried alot of methods to install Leopard with no luck. I figured out this method that will definately work. I dont know if it was already discussed but here ya go.

Once the installation is finished it should boot straight to Leopard.

Ta-da baby!! Tell me if it works. :censored2:

Hi RideMotoX559,

Yep I did follow your method and it works perfectly and fast, this is IMHO the best way to install.

I have a Mac Mini PPC G4 1.42 Ghz 512 Mb Ram with 10.4.7.

I've made the partitions with iPartition (very simple and fast but defrag is very very very loooooong...)

So thanks for your help,

Lion

Hi RideMotoX559,

Yep I did follow your method and it works perfectly and fast, this is IMHO the best way to install.

I have a Mac Mini PPC G4 1.42 Ghz 512 Mb Ram with 10.4.7.

I've made the partitions with iPartition (very simple and fast but defrag is very very very loooooong...)

So thanks for your help,

Lion

How do you use iPartition? Wen I run it, it doesn't let me do nothing!

post-51612-1156312921_thumb.jpg

How do you use iPartition? Wen I run it, it doesn't let me do nothing!

Hi golosin2,

iPartition must be used from another mac even a hackintosh, it doesn't work from the boot disk to resize any partition of the boot disk, I've used it from hackintosh, but before you must defrag the partition that you want to resize.

Hope this helps,

Lion

:blink: I was unable to do the quite simple part:

2. Next, you need to restore the Leopard DMG file onto one of the Partitions using Disk Utility, its quite simple.

When I was trying to drag the disc over the "destination". it is not successful. It just don't work.

:blink: I was unable to do the quite simple part:

When I was trying to drag the disc over the "destination". it is not successful. It just don't work.

Hi eddy123,

When you drag the partition at the destination place, does it stay there or not ?

Was the destination partition formated and large enough ?

Did you untick "ignore volume autorizations" at the bottom of partition information window ?

Hope this could help you

Good luck,

Lion

Hi eddy123,

When you drag the partition at the destination place, does it stay there or not ?

Was the destination partition formated and large enough ?

Did you untick "ignore volume autorizations" at the bottom of partition information window ?

Hope this could help you

Good luck,

Lion

oh. Hi Lion,

When I was trying to drag it, it just stay there. Not like that when I was in Mac OS X.

The destination is around 10GB. I think that would be enough.

oh. Where is it? I cannot see it.

Hmmm.. I am doing the disk utility by Mac OS X Install Disc 10.4.5. So what should I do?

oh. Hi Lion,

When I was trying to drag it, it just stay there. Not like that when I was in Mac OS X.

The destination is around 10GB. I think that would be enough.

oh. Where is it? I cannot see it.

Hmmm.. I am doing the disk utility by Mac OS X Install Disc 10.4.5. So what should I do?

Hi eddy123,

I hadn't seen your other thread before I replied to this one, so I didn't know that it was about about a bare macintel.

If I understand you have a bare mactintel, you start loading a 10.4.5 (from an usb drive, and when the installer ask you what the destination of the install then you open disk utility within the installer menu , is it right ?

Have you the "restore button" validated at the right bottom of the disk utility when source and destination are in place?

Lion

Hello everyone,I have powermac G5, I managed to get hold of an external fresh hard drive , copy of iPartition , leopard dmg.

I would like to install leopard and play with it without compromising my tiger install.

would it be possible to do?

Thank you very much