Quartz Debug Stuff

Paranoid Marvin

7 posts in this topic

I have been having a play with Quartz Debug in Leopard and I have found a few things

1: In tools, there is the option to disable Quartz Exterme and enable Quartz GL - when I opened Quartz GL, it caused some stability problems

2: When you quit, it gives you the option to save the configuration, whereas the Tiger version would only do that if you force quit.

3: There isn't any mention of Quartz 2D Extreme in the menu

4: Changing the size of the user interface works great - the UI is definatly Resolution independant.

Anyone else want to add to this?

I believe that Quartz 2D Extreme has been renamed to QuartzGL (thank god we are finally moving past the 'EXTREME!' fad in product naming) in OS X 10.5.  Nevertheless, it is still disabled by default (I think due to refractory bugginess with rosetta apps).  For example, with QuartzGL enabled (on Leopard), PPC apps on an x86 mac (under rosetta) still have weird graphical gliches, like all the menu and widget fonts appearing purple-pink instead of black upon app launch.  In addition, rosetta apps occasionally manifest random drawing errors, such as having opaque yellow aqua buttons instead of the standard translucent blue ones.  

Since these drawing errors are the same as those present in 10.4 (when Q2DX is enabled) I don't think that rosetta and QuartzGL play nicely with each other.  Period.  This is probably why Apple disabled it by default in 10.4--to avoid mindf***ing people with purple fonts, et al during the x86 transition.  Not all rosetta-dependant apps behave this way, some are quite well-behaved (MS Office 2004).  Others, such as Photoshop CS2 are quite f***ed up, with purple fonts and dialogue boxes all over the place.  Native PPC machines do not seem affected (at least under 10.4.7) by the PPC app purple haze bug--only x86 rosetta-dependent apps that demand a {censored}load of VRAM seemed to be wigged out.

Maybe Apple is just waiting for major developers to provide universal binaries in the next product revision cycle before they turn on QuartzGL for the GM Leopard release?

The purplish-pink color is an error that you are seeing when the graphics card is not properly recognizing that there is an alpha channel on that item (32-bit image as apposed to 24-bit). You see that because all fonts in OS X have anti-aliasing, thus slight color variations to account for fonts whose pixels do not line up evenly to the display's resolution. Try opening your Magnifier from Accessability Options and look really close up at Safari...

Hey thanks for the info.  I was able to vanquish most of the purple text from my machine by enabling QuartzGL and disabling font AA for fonts smaller than 9.  I also set the level of font AA to 'automatic' rather than strong.  Now I have Q2DX and significantly less 'purple haze.'

In the tools menu of Quartz Debug, I still see a disbaled "Enable Quartz Extreme" mentioned.

But I can't use it (disabled).

Below thatn there is a scary "Quartz GL not supported" Item, disabled too.

I have a Powerbook Alu 1,2 15", and spaces effect, exposé, etc are quite slow.

Launching Time machine, I can't see the stars background

In Spaces preferences I can't see the little desktop reprenseting your spaces.

Anyone having thiese issues ?