[How To] Detailed guide to installing Mac OS X x86

Xeijin

84 posts in this topic

Hey Xeijin,

First off, thanks for the walkthrough! Pretty simple so far- until I got to this part- I booted from the disc, formatted to "journaled," installed, and rebooted. I get the gray apple screen with the spinning black lines, but after a while, I get a "no" (circle / horizontal line) sign just above the apple, and the lines keep spinning. If this is simply an incompatibility error, I'd be more than happy to accept that and move on, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific meaning to it. After all, it isn't like I really set up the system specifically for this, I was just playing around. Any advice would be great though.

I'm working on a Gateway 310, all factory: Pentium 4, I want to say 256 RAM, and aside from the modem, everything's onboard.

For what it's worth, even seeing the os x setup screen on a pc was pretty sweet :-)

Hi Doomspat,

There seems to be an error of some sort. You need to try and find out what's going wrong. When you try and boot into OSX, you should see the darwin bootloader just before the grey Apple screen. After the timer runs out you'll be presented with a command prompt and you would normally just hit enter to try and boot OSX. Instead, try typing:

-v

Into the prompt, with nothing else then hit the return key. That should make OSX splay out a load of text instead of the usual grey apple boot screen. There will be a point at which the text stops for a long period of time and osx loads no further, this will be the same as when you receive the 'No Entry' sign on the gray bootscreen. Take not of what the last couple of lines of text say and either post back here, and I'll try my best to help, or try searching a few of the errors using the search tool and you might come up with something.

Good Luck!

// Xeijin

I get the gray apple screen with the spinning black lines, but after a while, I get a "no" (circle / horizontal line) sign just above the apple

What packages did you choose in the Customize window?

During the installation, when you get to the window where you are to click the Install button, you must first click the Customize button and choose packages for your computer. Click the little arrow next to the patches category to reveal the individual packages. Select Intel or AMD packages, not both. Select SSE2 or SSE3, not both, depending upon the capability of your processor. Select the Combo Update to get the latest version of OSX. Select other packages only if you know your computer can use them.

10.4.6: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=4249

Is it possible to install the retail dvd version of tiger (10.4) not 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 just 10.4 --

on an intel pc?

There is no retail version of OSX for any Intel machine - Mac or Hackintosh. All retail versions are for PPC Macs.

However, no Apple provided installer can be used on a Hackintosh. OSX needs extensive patching in order ro install and run on a PC.

Hey,

You're guide was very detailed! Thank you very much! I just need some help because everytime I boot the DVD with the ISO of Mac OSx86 in it i get the error "This Hardware Configuration is not supported by Darwin/x86." Should the hard disk that you formatted in the first part of the guide be the primary master or can it also be the primary slave. This might be the thing that is causing the problem. BTW I placed the formatted hard disk as the primary slave. Thanks! Hoping for your help soon!

Neuspeed

Hey,

You're guide was very detailed! Thank you very much! I just need some help because everytime I boot the DVD with the ISO of Mac OSx86 in it i get the error "This Hardware Configuration is not supported by Darwin/x86." Should the hard disk that you formatted in the first part of the guide be the primary master or can it also be the primary slave. This might be the thing that is causing the problem. BTW I placed the formatted hard disk as the primary slave. Thanks! Hoping for your help soon!

Neuspeed

Hmm that's strange, I've never actually heard of that error. And a forum search dosen't seem to have brought anything up anything all that useful, but an external search from google has come up with something about an unpatched 10.4.3 tiger install media. What ISO are you using to install OS X (e.g. JaS, Goatsecx, Myzar etc.) Also, about the IDE setup. I've heard that the drive should be set as primary master, mine is set to primary master with my CD-RW Drive which is set as primary slave. Try swapping configs around or testing the drive out as primary master by itself on one cable.

Good Luck,

// Xeijin

Hmm that's strange, I've never actually heard of that error. And a forum search dosen't seem to have brought anything up anything all that useful, but an external search from google has come up with something about an unpatched 10.4.3 tiger install media. What ISO are you using to install OS X (e.g. JaS, Goatsecx, Myzar etc.) Also, about the IDE setup. I've heard that the drive should be set as primary master, mine is set to primary master with my CD-RW Drive which is set as primary slave. Try swapping configs around or testing the drive out as primary master by itself on one cable.

Good Luck,

// Xeijin

@Xeijin

I am using the DVD ISO of a 10.4.3 with build 8F1111A. Maybe you're right, this might be the unpatched 10.4.3 tiger install media that you searched in google :) . I'll try to get a new ISO and try to see if it works. I'll come back with the results here! :) Thank you very much I really appreciate the help guys!

I am having big time problems seeing my hard drive when in the installer for OSX. I cant even see my hard drive when in the disk utility section. Ive done all the steps correctly. When I do the "create partition primary id=af" am i supposed to be able to see it in explorer? Also, would it make a difference when doing a format vs. a quick format? All of these would be greatly appreciated if they were answered...

I am having big time problems seeing my hard drive when in the installer for OSX. I cant even see my hard drive when in the disk utility section.

OSX has limited SATA support. If your SATA controller chip isn't supported, OSX can't see it. OSX has support for Intel and VIA SATA chips. If you have a different one, then you should install a PATA drive to install OSX on. A 20 GB PATA drive should be obtainable for next to nothing.

OSX has limited SATA support. If your SATA controller chip isn't supported, OSX can't see it. OSX has support for Intel and VIA SATA chips. If you have a different one, then you should install a PATA drive to install OSX on. A 20 GB PATA drive should be obtainable for next to nothing.

Ok thank you for an answer...

you can read my story here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29308 , but i finally got the 10.4.6 JaS dvd installed.

laptop: HP dv5000t customized (t2250, 1gb ddr2, geforce go 7400)

ethernet: not recognized

sound: doesnt appear to be recognized either

video: locked at 1024x768 (lappy's native res is 1280x800) -- EDIT: working at native res now with Macvidia installer 1.0.8

still need to:

-update to 10.4.7 -- EDIT: Done! with JaS 10.4.6 -> 10.4.7 update

-get all the drivers.... sigh

-switch out acronis os selector for somethin else (preferably grub, but installing vista is next, then ubuntu)

@billybobmoronicloser: That's why I did recommend using PATA (IDE) Drives, SATA support is scanty in OSX as of now, and as Rammjet said, you can pick up PATA drives for virtually nothing, in fact you can probably find one in just about any old PC.

Hey Guys!

I finally got the Mac OSx 10.4.6 myzar working on my computer! I simply followed Xeijin's guide! Thanks a lot Xeijin! I have some problems though... Network card is not yet working (think i'm gonna buy a compatible one), Sound not yet working (My sound is an AC97) I downloaded some drivers for mac over the internet and I pasted it on the extensions folder but it isn't still working! There is one more problem I have, I upgraded my iTunes to the new one, the iTunes7 however when I run iTunes it always tells me "Not enough memory" what should I do?

Thanks in advanced! Thanks a lot Xeijin!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neuspeed,

AFAIK iTunes 7 and Hackintoshes dont get on well together so if you reinstall I recommend you stick with 6 til it gets fixed or something (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, with sound drivers its not just a matter of pasting a few files over. If your sound is not working from first boot it generally means that you'll need to do a fair amount of work to get them working, including modifying kexts and such (again correct me if I'm wrong). I think you may need to be a bit more specific than just 'AC97' as I believe there are also different chipsets for AC97 (e.g. realtek like mine) so see if you can find out the exact model number of your sound chipset then search the forums for it.

Good Luck,

// Xeijin

• 3 weeks later...

Okay - as near as I can tell, this is a decent place to ask this question. But I'm probably wrong. Anyway - I built my Hackintosh from an ASRock 775i945GZ MB. It's got a nice Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0GHz and half a gig of DDR2 533 ram. I don't have windows, so never installed windows, so didn't do any sort of dual boot preparation. I booted from the Hotiso DVD, installed, went to boot from the HD, got a b0 error. Thanks to this forum, I learned that I must re-boot from my install DVD and use fdisk to set my partition to boot.

No prob, right?

Except now it won't boot from the DVD. I mean it will boot, but instead of the gray Mac w/a gear screen, I get a rapidly scrolling list of Loaded's and then the screen clears the system waits a while, then reboots.

I tried burning a new copy of the install DVD. I tried resetting the CMOS. I tried removing the hard drive so I only have the DVD to boot from (this results in a com.apple.plist... missing error). But I just can't get it to boot from the DVD any more. I have no clue as to what could be going on.

Any ideas? And feel free to point me to the appropriate area for questions if this is not it.

Thank you,

Patrick

Hello everyone. Here's what I did. I followed all the steps in the previous guide using the native installation from a dvd. Darwin loaded and I went through the entire installation process on a second partition. The installation was successful.

After restarting, the computer continued to boot off of the dvd. I restarted again, this time changing the settings to boot from the hard drive. It booted into windows so I followed the instructions involving the command line and the boot.ini. I restarted again to see the boot menu showing Windows and OSX. I selected OSX and the screen went black for a second, then returned to the boot menu. Windows still boots normally when I select that option. Any help?

Scotty - I'd try and get the verbose mode going and see where it is hanging. Usually you get the message to press a key (or press f8, depending on the version you're installing), then you can put in -v as an option for verbose. I'd also try -x for safe mode and see if that gets you started...

Patrick

Okay - to add to my thread - I figured out what was happening - for those of you following along, even though I'd set my BIOS to boot from the DVD, it was not - it was still booting from the HD. This led me to my other discovery - it was crashing because I hadn't enabled the (I think) SS3 features in the CPU. Once I did that, the boot continued.

But here's my latest error. I can boot just fine in Safe Mode. But if I boot normally, the display is all messed up. A bunch of diagonal lines. The system is still functioning, If I click on the menu bar, I get an illegible menu and by feel, I can shut it down. I have a still of the problem (unfortunately on the hackintosh and I am in the office now). I'm using the HOTiSO build and as I said above, this setup: ASRock 775i945GZ MB, Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0GHz, and half a gig of DDR2 533 ram.

Interestingly. it appears to be working right up to the point where the blue screen goes away and the "background" would be loaded. The pointer is unaffected. I've tried specifying the resolution as a boot option, with varying bit depths and dimensions. I've varied the amount of memory dedicated to video ram. I've tried doing the HOTiSO install without the patches. Now - when I use the deadmoo disk image, it boots fine, of course without the core image acceleration.

Anyone - any thoughts? Whatsoever?

Thanks,

Patrick

OK updates. I did verbose mode and found that it was hanging on the following line:

a link/load error occurred for kernel extension /system/library/extensions/appleHWsensor.kexts

however before that I also got this line:

VGA: family specific matching fails

Is there a way around this or should I reinstall?