Why are the colors more vivid in OS X?

Indigo iMac

10 posts in this topic

Could be a number of things but it's most likely it's related to color spaces.

Check and see which color spaces your other OS'es are using and then to see if OSX is using the same.

Generally speaking sRGB looks more saturated than other popular color spaces.

bazz.

monitorprofile.jpg

Well going to Windows from Mac OS X on the same monitors? Windows looks washed out but thats on default.

Using my Calibrated setting its not very different than using Apple RGB. I stick to one OS as switching really tweaks my colors from one to the other in Illustrator and Photoshop. I would agree from my set up that OS X is indeed more VIVID in color. I sure enjoy my monitors but still want an IPS just for photos.

Printing is really where you might notice color variation but you can easily adjust. Basically CMYK seems to always have slight variation from what you see on a monitor than what you see on paper.

Sometimes I think Windows messes up the color profiles; either that or the new NEC monitors I have at work are really bad. The colors are just plain 'off'. I am running under on a Mac Pro, and I have not booted to Mac OS much on it since getting those monitors; maybe I should boot to Mac OS and see if it handles the colors better than Windows does.

The greens and reds are way too saturated. So I am not sure if that would be a monitor profile issue, or just the way those monitors are? The graphics designers always come in my office and {censored} about my screens :D

It seems that in OS X the colors are more vivid in all applications except Quicktime Player 7, VLC, and Xee. For some reason these color differences appear in screenshots, here are a few:

Preview in OS X:

post-240092-1296055925_thumb.png

Quicktime 7 in OS X:

post-240092-1296055986_thumb.png

Xee in OS X:

post-240092-1296056067_thumb.png

Eye of Gnome in Ubuntu Linux:

post-240092-1296056151_thumb.png

It seems that in OS X the colors are more vivid in all applications except Quicktime Player 7, VLC, and Xee. For some reason these color differences appear in screenshots, here are a few:

Still looks like a color space issue to me.

Not all apps are color space aware and the one that aren't will use the default system profile being used.

Apps that are color space aware will read the embedded color space in the image and apply them.

I'm sure you already know this but if color is important to you then you need to make a choice of a complete color managed workflow or have everything default to you system choice. Either of these will provide consistent color through all your apps and ensure that others will see the same as you do.

bazz.