AC97 Playing sound to fast?

jdav

15 posts in this topic

Hi, I just installed 10.4.6 and I hear audio with my AC97 card, but it is playing 2x faster then normal speed :( Anyone have this problem before, I've searched but can't find an answer to my problem...I would like to have it play at a normal speed, thanks !

I fixed mine with the following:

System Preferences -> Sound -> Select SPDIF Out

the SPDIF does not work, but the sound speed from the line out works fine now.

Use the Apple MIDI Setup tool (just spotlight it), and change the default playback rate for audio out, try using 44100 instead of 48000 Hz.

Guest BuildSmart

Well I have a couple of Intel Boards (D915GUXLKR / D945GPMLKR) and I don't have sound on either.

I haven't looked into it but from what I've read around here it's a matter of editing the info.plist files to recognize your hardware.

Guest BuildSmart

Well I just looked at the AC97 driver source and from what I can see it shouldn't be too difficult to update the source to handle your specific hardware so future patching makes no sense.

• 3 weeks later...

I´m having the same problem with the soundcard in a dell optiplex gx240 (0x80862445). The sound isn´t twice as fast; it sounds more like it tries to play with 48000Hz. I have checked the settings in midi setup, and it´s supposed to play with 44100Hz.

Another sound problem is that it is choppy in the first few seconds of tracks in itunes, and all the time when trying to play dvd:s.

When I try to start System Preferences -> Sound I just get a message saying:

"Preferences Error

Could not load Sound preference pane".

Other than that, osx86 works great for me. ;D

The playback speed is definitely a factor. I saw a system where the sound worked (oddly enough only in one channel) and the sound was squirrely, but after changing the playback frequency from 44.1 to 48KHz it played clean, although still in one channel only.

Also, on a related note: I bought a C-Media USB sound card (5.1 and the whole bit) for $25 and it works as-is full featured on any mac. It's not as elegant as using internal sound but it works all the same and it's only about the size of a pen drive.

Strange, when I installed 10.4.5 on my desktop, I had a similar problem, but my audio was at half rate!?!? Don't know what I did to solve it, it was a while ago. But I generally had alot of issues with OSX on my desktop throughout the various releases; including LAN, so I always end up uninstalling it. If I ever reinstall it, I'll let you know if I have the issue, and how I solved it.

I´m having the same problem with the soundcard in a dell optiplex gx240 (0x80862445). The sound isn´t twice as fast; it sounds more like it tries to play with 48000Hz. I have checked the settings in midi setup, and it´s supposed to play with 44100Hz.

Another sound problem is that it is choppy in the first few seconds of tracks in itunes, and all the time when trying to play dvd:s.

When I try to start System Preferences -> Sound I just get a message saying:

"Preferences Error

Could not load Sound preference pane".

Other than that, osx86 works great for me. ;D

I have precisely that same machine and the same problem.

I do have access to the sound settings and it reports the sound card as AC97 but I can't do anything with it other than adjust the balance.

When play short sound clips it sounds all choppy, you can't understand it.

When playing longer clips, it stabilizes after about 5 seconds and sounds clear but it's sped up and sounds like everyone has been huffing helium.

I can't find anywhere or anyway to change the audio settings.

This is highly annoying. I need to do video work with this box, I hope it won't ruin DVD's that I try to create. Still to early for me to know, I'm still new and lost..