Help with Grub2 on hardware raid triple boot

8 posts in this topic

I have a triple boot setup (Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.10 and OSX - latest iATKOS s3) on a RocketRaid3560 hardware raidcard (two raid0 arrays :-)). Windows 7 and Ubuntu (my primary OS) is on the same array (dev/sda) and OSX on the other (dev/sdb). Two separate discs for each array.

I can boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu using grub2 as the bootloader (on MBR). And when I set OSX as boot partition on the raidcard it loads nicely (and really fast!).

I would like to use Grub2 as my bootmanager that loads Windows, Ubuntu and Chameleon -> OSX. OSX (which the Grub2 automatically adds) comes up in Grub2 but gives me an loading error when I use it. Something like: No such device: 7e329388d2db2214. As far as I can see this is a normal Grub2 problem.

Instead I have tried to make a custom entry in grub. I searched a bit and found an entry that should work. but not on mine. The entry is:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "MacOS X, chameleon, multi" {
	  insmod hfsplus
	  set root=(hd1,gpt2)
	  multiboot /boot
}

menuentry "MacOS X, chameleon" {
	  insmod hfsplus
	  search --file --set=root /boot
	  multiboot /boot
}

When I select it in grub I get the following errors:

The first entry:

error: couldn't open file.

The second entry:

error: no such device: /boot.

error: couldn't open file.

Any suggestions?

Quick update. After a lot of search I changed the first entry in my grub entry to:

insmod hfsplus
	  insmod part_gpt
	  set root=(hd1,gpt2)
	  multiboot /boot
}

No change in error. Still error: couldn't open file.

I have attached screendumps of my two arrays. Sorry for the danish language but the structure should be more or less straight forward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-449578-1295377380_thumb.jpg

post-449578-1295377397_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update. After a lot of search I changed the first entry in my grub entry to:

insmod hfsplus
	   insmod part_gpt
	   set root=(hd1,gpt2)
	   multiboot /boot
 }

No change in error. Still error: couldn't open file.

I have attached screendumps of my two arrays. Sorry for the danish language but the structure should be more or less straight forward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Switched OSX install to the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] version. Works very well and better that iATKOS when using DSTD.aml. Still have the same grub2 problem.

Besides that Chamelon only sees OSX. Even thou Chameleon was installed last neither Win7 nor Linux comes up in the Chameleon menu. There is only OSX (two partitions).

I know that I have to install grub2 to the root partition on Linux and not MBR (where it is) for Chameleon to see it but at least Chameleon should be able to see Win7. Or what?

I am not really motivated to move grub2 to root before I know that it can at least see my Win7 install.

Considering my grub2 problems I somehow have a feeling that the problem lies in my RAID card. A shame since it cost a minor fortune.

From linux have you tried to update grub2 after installing all the systems?

I had a multiboot installation on one single HD with Osx, Linux and Win7 without Chameleon at all. Grub putted the correct entries for osx( with dsdt.aml etc.) after updating it.

here my report: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1553602

Thank you for your answer. :-)

I have updated Grub2. Did that everytime I tried a new custom entry.

I have also tried your entry (from the link) but it gives the same error as the entrys made automatically by grub.

The search continues ...

I have also tried your entry (from the link) but it gives the same error as the entrys made automatically by grub.

The search continues ...

I found this problem interesting although I don't know how to solve it.

I put these search terms in Google, raid arrays grub2

and got a lot of hits, some of them marked solved, but I didn't read for detail.

The search continues ...

I hope you can solve this problem and please report back if you find out how to make it work. I think that grub2 could be a great chameleon substitute.

One way you can get to boot OSX without changing your bios settings is install EasyBCD in windows. Once you set up OSX Manually (the automatically generated one won't work) you should be able to boot from grub2. You select Windows 7, and when that boot menu loads you select OSX, which should then load Chameleon. It's not optimal, but should work as a work around until you can get grub working (I'm still fighting grub with my triple boot).