P67A-UD3 10.6.6 Build Notes

17 posts in this topic

My Hardware:

i7-2600K @ 5.0GHz (9.6 on Cinebench R11.5 & 15k Geekbench)

Gigabyte P67A-UD3 rev 1.0 (BIOS ver. F6a)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Heatsink

16GBs (4x4GB) DDR3-1600MHz

1TB Samsung 32MB Cache F3 HDD

OCZ 700W PSU

For day to day use I will only overclock to 4.5GHz. The extra 500Mhz comes at an increase of about 20% in voltage to the Vcore. That is not something I want to do.

Installation:

Since Sandy Bridge is not used by a real Mac you need to use a legacy kernel, such as Quoopz. You can find the latest one here: http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=538. Googling or using the insanelymac search will find the other versions.

If you want to install on a Sandy Bridge build then you should use a kernel that matches your installer image/disk version. So, if you have 10.6.0 use the corresponding legacy kernel, while if you have 10.6.3 use the 10.6.3 legacy kernel.

You can use a USB install, make a boot 132 CD and retail DVD, clone a working install, or install using Digital Dreamer's script.

After you install, combo update to the current version, force quit the combo update when it finishes, and then apply the 10.6.6 legacy kernel. If you leave it called "legacy_kernel" then make sure to add to your Apple.com.Boot.plist the following:

<key>kernel</key>

<string>legacy_kernel</string>

You can also rename it to mach_kernel, or change the path to something other than root.

I noticed some people are having problems with greater than 4GB builds--simply add the kernel flag -force64.

I have attached my Extra folder and USB 3.0 and Lnx2Mac's Realtek kexts. They, along with the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext, must be installed to S/L/E.

The DSDT has been edited with every d00d edit to date as well as an edit to allow the onboard audio to work with AppleHDA 10.6.2 (thanks Tony Mac).

Sound is working perfectly and all DSDT edits for sleep are in place, but will not work properly until Apple uses the same CPU. You can use SleepEnabler.kext in the meantime. I did not bother to fix warnings, only errors. Since this is a beta BIOS I am sure Gigabyte will have several new BIOS releases in rapid succession over the next few months.

I also did not bother editing SMBIOS.plist to reflect correct CPU/RAM speeds or types.

Edit:

I turned off my build after audio *appeared* to be working. However, from comments here and TonyMac's I noticed that the audio/video de-sync was happening. Silly me to forget to check than since it happens with every new CPU release. I read *Sandy Bridge Support* on Nawcom's kernel and thought we would be fine.

In order to fix this you must set your multipler to 29 in the BIOS and set busratio=29 in the kernel flag.

Even the stock 34 on my 2600K and busratio=34 does not work work properly. Anval loader seems to work better and I can get a bus ratio of 40 in the verbose boot, but then you panic further down because of a seeming problem with the kernel and RTClock init.

Anval loader grants us a few nifty flags like: FixFSB=No, ForceFSB=100, bus-ratio=40 commands, but the kernel itself panics with the higher ratio (RTCclock_init).

MOB_Files_P67A_UD3.zip

To_S_L_E.zip

thanks much! i have the same hardware but have a few problems, including the laggy mouse (and temp fix) as you have noted:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1624034

i've got this kernel running on my system:

gigabyte P67A-UD3 with i5-2500k CPU and 8800GT (for now, GTX 470 is laying here in waiting).

i used the dsdt and kexts from this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=243207

i basically just installed them on a running system (gigabyte P35 + C2Q) and then rebooted from the same drive with the new hardware in place.

i have two problems:

1. usb (bus?) seems to stutter when there's is no cpu load, i can see this with a laggy/jumpy mouse and by holding a key down on my usb keyboard.

2. stuttering sound, both when using the headphone out (ALC892) and using USB headset (i really thought latter would at least work - and did work fine with my previous P35 + C2Q setup, exact same 10.6.6 installation).

the mouse smooths out nicely when there's a little load on the system, usually just the flash plugin in chrome is enough to do that. no fix yet for the sound though

which exact bootloader and version are you using? it's not obvious from your post (maybe i'm just missing it) ... i verified the DSDT fixes to the RTC & PIC devices (removing the IRQ) but i think my problems might be bootloader related in not setting the right FSB?

maleorderbride: any hints as to what changes needed to make to the DSDT to be UD4 compatible?

I would do all of the changes in d00d's thread. Minimum changes would be to fix the errors (I think there were three in the UD3 dsdt) so that it compiles, add HDEF so you can use 10.6.2 AppleHDA.

BIOS settings are the same as any other Gigabyte motherboard.

AHCI is the minimum required setting. I always see setting HPET mode to 64-bit recommended as well.

Once the CPU is supported you will need to leave all energy saving features on default for best performance and speedstep to work properly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...