10.6.6 Hackintosh (lifehacker guide) "You need to restart your computer"

Charlie97L

48 posts in this topic

Hey guys-

Ok, so I built a Mac Pro desktop following the lifehacker guide listed a while back.

I was running 10.6.4 with no issues other than I was not able to cleanly shut down or restart without pushing the power button on the tower.

I waited and read that the 10.6.6 update was ok to go and tried to run it. It appeared to install cleanly, and then restarted and got stuck on a blue screen before the dekstop. So I powered down and tried to start again.

Now all I'm getting to the grey Apple logo screen, and it goes darker grey and says "You must restart your computer"

Is there any way to fix this? Am I totally boned? On a side note, could I recover files off the HDD (real important stuff is backed up to my external, but there's stuff on there I'd hate to lose) and just reinstall? I'm ok with that.

Thanks so much! Love this forum.

What Video Card are you using in your box? I think it's a video driver issue. Also, did you try booting into safe mode with the "-x" Chameleon flag?

I am using the GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...621681&SID=

How do you boot into safe mode? That would be fantastic if it's a video issue.

Using "-x" as the boot flag. In the Chameleon screen where you select the boot disk, simply type -x and hit enter.

i will go try that now.

i will go try that now.

Ok, i tried that and a bar came up under the wheel and apple logo, got to about 10% and then got the dark grey screen and prompt to restart again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this. :)

You're getting a Kernel panic. What hardware are you using? I am assuming since you built it with compliant hardware you installed Snow Leo retail? Here's the next thing, this won't fix the problem, just give us more details about it. Instead of booting with the -x flag, boot with the -v flag, the v stands for verbose. It will show you everything that the computer is loading and hopefully the root of the problem. If you have a digital camera or a cellphone, I'd recommend taking a picture of the screen.

i will go try that now.

Ok, i tried that and a bar came up under the wheel and apple logo, got to about 10% and then got the dark grey screen and prompt to restart again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this. :D

Does not sound like you used the F8 key during it loading to get to the Chameleon boot prompt (text based not graphical) where you would enter that -x. Also you may want to consider either making a signature with all the hardware in your machine or post it in the thread so we know what is in the system.

Does not sound like you used the F8 key during it loading to get to the Chameleon boot prompt (text based not graphical) where you would enter that -x. Also you may want to consider either making a signature with all the hardware in your machine or post it in the thread so we know what is in the system.

I'm going to try that thanks, and the verbose part too.

here is my hardware...

ok so i get a text prompt in the bottom left corner of the grey screen with the harddrive on it. tried -x with the same result, the bar fills to about 10% then i get the lock again. is that the right time for me to push F8? I don't get any response before the first grey screen, with the harddrive picture.

also, i ran -v and came up with the following two screens with details on the panic...

sorry i couldn't get it all on one shot. all the info is there, it overlaps. if i need an image of something else, let me know. thanks guys!

post-524269-1294542136_thumb.jpg

post-524269-1294542193_thumb.jpg

I am not aware of life hackers guide but you can try this trick use tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.0 boot disk from here and try booting into OSx with it.

I am not aware of life hackers guide but you can try this trick use tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.0 boot disk from here and try booting into OSx with it.

Thanks... I will check that out, but I wouldn't know how to fix anything once I got back in.

I will wait for analysis from people who requested the pics of the verbose. thanks!

Thanks... I will check that out, but I wouldn't know how to fix anything once I got back in.

I will wait for analysis from people who requested the pics of the verbose. thanks!

Did u remove the sleepenabler.kext from the system/library/extensions before upgrading it to 10.6.6 ..because many people are having kernel panic due to that kext not being removed !! lemme know..and the pic that u posted wasnt clear for me..can u just take a pic of the last screen that gets stuck in the verbose mode !!! :rolleyes:

Did u remove the sleepenabler.kext from the system/library/extensions before upgrading it to 10.6.6 ..because many people are having kernel panic due to that kext not being removed !! lemme know..and the pic that u posted wasnt clear for me..can u just take a pic of the last screen that gets stuck in the verbose mode !!! ;)

no, i don't think i did. is there anyway to fix that easily? i can take some more pictures.

no, i don't think i did. is there anyway to fix that easily? i can take some more pictures.

Some what that Life Hacker method has you using boot cd + retail install disk does it not or at least a distro installer dvd? If so then you can boot the retail disk using it the in the Utilities menu you will see at the top of screen select Terminal or if distro open in there. Once it opens use something like this.

rm -r /Volumes/Install_Name/Extra/Extensions/sleepenabler.kext

Changing the path/name.kext to the correct one for your install once you have removed it you would need to rebuild the cache if in /Extra directory with similar to this.

kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Install_Name/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Install_Name/Extra/Extensions

Again changing to your situation if it was in the /System/Library/Extensions then.

touch /Volumes/Install_Name/System/Library/Extensions

Reboot and hopefully it works now if not post a picture of it failing.

Some what that Life Hacker method has you using boot cd + retail install disk does it not or at least a distro installer dvd? If so then you can boot the retail disk using it the in the Utilities menu you will see at the top of screen select Terminal or if distro open in there. Once it opens use something like this.

Changing the path/name.kext to the correct one for your install once you have removed it you would need to rebuild the cache if in /Extra directory with similar to this.

kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Install_Name/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Install_Name/Extra/Extensions

Again changing to your situation if it was in the /System/Library/Extensions then.

touch /System/Library/Extensions

Thanks, I understand everything except that last instruction with touch. What is that for? And yes, I used a retail disk for the install.

Thanks, I understand everything except that last instruction with touch. What is that for?

That is if it was in the /System directory location using touch sets the time stamp on the directory to the current time causing the system to rebuild its caches as it will think something has just been added. Personally I always just go to the Chameleon boot prompt and use the -f switch which forces the system to reload/cache every .kext on the system then I know for sure it was done when you see all them .kext scroll by in the boot messages.

That is if it was in the /System directory location using touch sets the time stamp on the directory to the current time causing the system to rebuild its caches as it will think something has just been added. Personally I always just go to the Chameleon boot prompt and use the -f switch which forces the system to reload/cache every .kext on the system then I know for sure it was done when you see all them .kext scroll by in the boot messages.

I'm not sure where it was, but I will try that anyway.

Thanks for the tips. Had a long workday, and am a bit bleary so I will give this a try in the morning and post how it goes. Thanks so much!

touch /Volumes/Install_Name/System/Library/Extensions

I'm having some issues with this method. "Install_Name" would be Snow_Leopard, correct? Or is it the name of the drive? I've tried both and I'm still getting "No such file or directory"

I'm having some issues with this method. "Install_Name" would be Snow_Leopard, correct? Or is it the name of the drive? I've tried both and I'm still getting "No such file or directory"

I would be whatever you have named your install ie. name of drive as it appears on the desktop.

i'm having trouble booting from the retail disk. any advice?

Which method are you using?

i tried booting from the CD in the bios/startup.

sorry, i'm competent with computers, and i can follow install guides well, but troubleshooting this is pushing my limits.

i basically followed the lifehacker guide exactly, and it's been working great, but i'm not that familiar with the details of the processes i used.

thanks

i tried booting from the CD in the bios/startup.

sorry, i'm competent with computers, and i can follow install guides well, but troubleshooting this is pushing my limits.

i basically followed the lifehacker guide exactly, and it's been working great, but i'm not that familiar with the details of the processes i used.

thanks

The retail disk will never boot directly from BIOS you need something like the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from tonymacs site, you put this in then switch disks to boot the retail disk.