ATI HD5670 Fully working with (QE/CI)

Jake TR

36 posts in this topic

Steps to Get Your HD5670 Working 100%

ATI Radeon HD5670

(Mostly taken from DaviDemon’s post with few changes. Credit goes to him)

Step 1. Do a clean install of Snow Leopard and apply the 10.6.4 update(Required).

Step 2. Download and Install Kext Helper b7.

Step 3. Open and Install Only these files from within the attachment below. Provided by Netkas.

Leave the other files for later.

1. ATY_Init.kext

2. ATI5000Controller.kext

3. ATIFramebuffer.kext

4. ATISupport.kext

Step 4. Turn your hidden files on and Go to /Extra folder (located in OSX installed drive) and edit com.apple.Boot.plist.

Your boot file should have these keys and strings. Very important.

1. <key>Kernel</key>

2. <string>mach_kernel</string>

3. <key>Kernel Flags</key>

4. <string>arch=i386</string>

5. <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

6. <string>No</string>

Step 5. Reboot your computer with –v flag to see if any errors occur.

Step 6. Install Graphics Update 1.0 ( Do not restart yet)

Step 7. Run Kext Helper b7 and install rest of the files within the attachment. This will enable hardware acceleration (QE/CE).

1. ATIRadeonX3000.kext

2. ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin

3. ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

4. ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

Step 8. Reboot & you are done!

P.S. I am only using the DVI output. I have not tested neither VGA nor HDMI.

HD5670_Files.zip

2psf1q9.png

2n1hw09.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Is it feasible to get a working 5670 on Leopard 10.5.8?

I have seen an iMac with a 5670 and specs say OS: 10.5.8 or later... although the machine is pre-installed with SL.

Spent so long getting my 10.5 hack to be every-day-fully-functional - i'm so afraid of mucking it up with SL plus the HD 3850 gfx card in use can't function in SL either.

What gfx cards work in both... just ponderin'...

btw. nice clear explanation. will be back to this post when i decide to give it a go. cheers!

Did everything just as in here but after the reboot w/ -v, it starts showing up verbose then the screens got black, but it seems to keep loading.

Got a Saphire 5670 w/ 512, Displayport, HDMI and DVI and tried w/ HDMI only, DVI only and both HDMI and DVI connected but nothing.......

On the DVI monitor, it keeps showing the message "Connect to the video card" as if i've unplugged the monitor.

Is it feasible to get a working 5670 on Leopard 10.5.8?

I have seen an iMac with a 5670 and specs say OS: 10.5.8 or later... although the machine is pre-installed with SL.

Spent so long getting my 10.5 hack to be every-day-fully-functional - i'm so afraid of mucking it up with SL plus the HD 3850 gfx card in use can't function in SL either.

What gfx cards work in both... just ponderin'...

btw. nice clear explanation. will be back to this post when i decide to give it a go. cheers!

I had a really good luck with 9800GT with almost every version of OSX. There were only few times where I had to make tweaks which were relatively easy to do. Nvidia cards are mostly problem free with OSX at least with my experience.

when I reboot at step five my computer hangs on VoodooHDAengine. Before the first part of the drivers got installed it worked fine. This damn 5670 is killing me!

Gigabyte ATI HD5670 1GB

Sounds like you are having a sound issue there which is not really related to the Graphics problem you are running into. Make sure you are editing your com.boot.plist file with the correct options. If you are still coming up with VoodooHDA problem, before the reboot at step 5 remove that VoodooHDA kext from /System/Library/Extensions folder. Try the reboot with -V again and see how that works.

Did everything just as in here but after the reboot w/ -v, it starts showing up verbose then the screens got black, but it seems to keep loading.

Got a Saphire 5670 w/ 512, Displayport, HDMI and DVI and tried w/ HDMI only, DVI only and both HDMI and DVI connected but nothing.......

On the DVI monitor, it keeps showing the message "Connect to the video card" as if i've unplugged the monitor.

well, what does it say in verbose mode? Where does it really hangs? Errors?

Most people does not and should not have problem getting their cards working by fallowing these steps. You might be doing something wrong when fallowing the steps or have messed up your system already. I suggest you do a clean install with minimum post-install changes, if you are having too much problems.

Sounds like you are having a sound issue there which is not really related to the Graphics problem you are running into. Make sure you are editing your com.boot.plist file with the correct options. If you are still coming up with VoodooHDA problem, before the reboot at step 5 remove that VoodooHDA kext from /System/Library/Extensions folder. Try the reboot with -V again and see how that works.

That maybe the case, but why is it that it works fine until I install the kexts for the graphics? Could it be related to the hdmi sound output on the graphics card? It has not given me a single issue until the kexts for the graphics card.

UPDATE: Got the framebuffers working, though the resolutions are strange... my screen's native is 1366x768 while the closest I have that looks right is 1280x768... other than that I have all the way up to 2304x1728 so its time to upgrade my monitor IF I get the QE and CI working!

UPDATE AGAIN: Got it. After some monkeying around, reinstalling kexts and what not and restarting a few times, removing my voodooHDA, my graphics work. Now to get my sound working again.

I am not sure but you might be right on that sound issue. It might be the HDMI sound on the ATI card.

I'd prefer you remove all the kext related to ATI from Extensions folder and then start over. But I also suggest you install [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with Chamelon 2 RC5 in advance to get rid of sound(voodooHDA) and framebuffer problems.

something funny.

I got this card about 3 days ago and im trying to install iATKOS S3 10.6.3.

After the install it boots but my screen is black.

Any suggestions?

can you boot with -v flag to see where it hangs? Most probably it's your Graphics Card tho.

can you boot with -v flag to see where it hangs? Most probably it's your Graphics Card tho.

I got into the GUI. Im following your steps but i cant find com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder.I do have hidden files on. The only one is in my /Library/preference folder

I got into the GUI. Im following your steps but i cant find com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder.I do have hidden files on. The only one is in my /Library/preference folder

That's if you have the Chameleon installed which cares about /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Boot.plist, is OSX's default file for real Macs.

So you are fine by editing the one in /Library/Preferences/.

That's if you have the Chameleon installed which cares about /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Boot.plist, is OSX's default file for real Macs.

So you are fine by editing the one in /Library/Preferences/.

OK. now after i reboot the 1st time the bootloader works but right before i get into the GUI the screen goes black. I know its loading cause my drive is blinking but no screen.

Here is the last thing i see before it blacks out.

post-294684-1295315832_thumb.jpg

By the way i dont know if it matters but i have iATKOS S3 10.6.3 upgraded to 10.6.4

Would this work on ati 4850 card? If not, any advice?? Thanks!

Steps to Get Your HD5670 Working 100%

ATI Radeon HD5670

(Mostly taken from DaviDemon’s post with few changes. Credit goes to him)

Step 1. Do a clean install of Snow Leopard and apply the 10.6.4 update(Required).

Step 2. Download and Install Kext Helper b7.

Step 3. Open and Install Only these files from within the attachment below. Provided by Netkas.

Leave the other files for later.

1. ATY_Init.kext

2. ATI5000Controller.kext

3. ATIFramebuffer.kext

4. ATISupport.kext

Step 4. Turn your hidden files on and Go to /Extra folder (located in OSX installed drive) and edit com.apple.Boot.plist.

Your boot file should have these keys and strings. Very important.

1. <key>Kernel</key>

2. <string>mach_kernel</string>

3. <key>Kernel Flags</key>

4. <string>arch=i386</string>

5. <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

6. <string>No</string>

Step 5. Reboot your computer with –v flag to see if any errors occur.

Step 6. Install Graphics Update 1.0 ( Do not restart yet)

Step 7. Run Kext Helper b7 and install rest of the files within the attachment. This will enable hardware acceleration (QE/CE).

1. ATIRadeonX3000.kext

2. ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin

3. ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

4. ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

Step 8. Reboot & you are done!

P.S. I am only using the DVI output. I have not tested neither VGA nor HDMI.

HD5670_Files.zip

2psf1q9.png

2n1hw09.jpg

Would this work on ati 4850 card? If not, any advice?? Thanks!

I tried it (and dozens of other tutorials) with 4830 but had no success. Gave up that card and bought this. I can't help you there, sorry. Perhaps searching the forum will get you the answer but sometimes going over too many posts makes things more complicated. That is the reason why I made this tutorial.

OK. now after i reboot the 1st time the bootloader works but right before i get into the GUI the screen goes black. I know its loading cause my drive is blinking but no screen.

Here is the last thing i see before it blacks out.

post-294684-1295315832_thumb.jpg

By the way i dont know if it matters but i have iATKOS S3 10.6.3 upgraded to 10.6.4

Wrong framebuffer in ATY_init most likely. The ATY_Init provided here uses Eulemur as far as i remember but for my ASUS 5670 1GB only Baboon works fine. That or doucle check if you installed all kexts in the correct order...

I have the exact same problem. has anyone seen a resolve for this? my card is a saphire 5670 w/ vga, HDMI and DVI. I have been using the DVI port. i did the instructions above except installed 10.6.5. I can not even boot with -x

I had this card working great, but can not seam to get it going again.

when i first got it going i installed fresh SL (with Radeon 4550 Graphics card installed)

installed 10.6.5 update

installed [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] easy install.

rebooted

three days later i received my Saphire 5670. I removed the 4550, installed the 5670. booted up and it all worked stright out of the box.

unfortunately while trying to change the machine identifier i destroyed somthing and was unable to boot at all. so decided to do a fresh install. however i can not get the card to work again. i get as far as installing 10.6.5. after that it will not boot again with the 5670. if i take the 5670 out and put the 4550 back in it will boot with and without -x, but of course is 1024x768 max.

I am sorry, may be I am missing something because I am a fresh new for MAC administering.

But what is "Graphics update 1.0"?

Sorry, I am going to buy exact same card.

The radeon hd 5670 works under OSX with kabyl's chameleon rc5 branch, with QE/CI. No ATI kext hackery or injectors or rom images required, assuming you're running current OSX first (10.6.6), which would already include "Graphics update 1.0".

See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1546946

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...