How to safely remove a mini PCI wifi card?

8 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I've been looking everywhere to get some more precise instructions but all the DIY sites assume too much for a coarse desktop fiddler like myself :(

I would like to exchange the Intel 2200BG wifi card (see my specs below) for an Atheros based one from a defunkt Toshiba. I located the card on my Acer but it all looks so delicate and firmly seated.

I know I have to first remove the antenna cable but it looks like it's soldered on the card. There is a round white plastic cap on the connector but it won't move when I try to pull it gently. Do I have to slide it off to the side or pull it up?

The card itself is also firmly seated in its slot but which seems it sits on hinges which can be tilted once it's loose. How do I pry it loose without breaking the whole thing (and my fingers)?

Any hint much appreciated.

cheers

sol

The antenna usually just pulls off, it's sort of a mini coaxial connector. The carditself is secured very much like notebook memory. There are two ears one on either side, push them out at the same time and the card should pop up. Then lift on the card and pull it out at about a 45 degree angle.

Thanks a lot mate. I'll try again.

I believe I'm seeing a couple of tiny clip looking metal parts (perhaps what you call ears) on each side of the rail which the card slides in but I can't get a grip on them with my fingers. Is it safe to use a screwdriver to pop them open? The card's circuits are dangerously close.

Sorry for being such a klutz but I've never even changed memory on a laptop.

MC solaar, so does it work? I am buying an Acer and I would like to know if cards are black listed on the BIOS, at least for your machine

cheers

I haven't had time to sort out the OSX bit yet but there's definitely no BIOS block on this one cos Mandriva recognised it right away.

No luck in OSX with this one although it's an Atheros AT5001 chip. I tried it with the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.5 but nada.

Anywayz no biggie for me. When I'm @ home I only work on my desktop anyway. It seems in my neck of the woods there are less and less wifi hot spots free of charge out there. When I see 10£ /hour I keep thinking those 'providers' must be having a laugh taking the p*ss out of those who willing to pay that lol ;)

cheers