Build G5 from Parts

RickSunderland

10 posts in this topic

Hi, this is my first time on this site...sort of stumbled across it while googling how to build a mac. So my question is, can someone point me in the right direction on how to go about building a really nice g5 from parts. I want a nice, fast computer (currently using and have been using for 10 years, my g4 powermac dual 450MHz). My computer now is nice and gets the job done, but I want to something with some nice horsepower...getting tired of not being able to watch any flash without the video not being able to catch up to the sound.

So what got me thinking about this was that I saw a g5 box (empty) on ebay and I thought it would be fun and cheaper to build my own g5...afterall I don't really have 5-10,000 dollars to spend on a new one. In the last year i got to delve into my own g4 box and replace a power supply and fan for my videocard and it was pretty exciting to realize that a computer can be put together by someone who has very basic knowledge of the working parts. (ie. me)

Anyway, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RS

I don't think you should even try to build a custom PowerMac G5 (notice the Power - means it's ran on Power architecture or a RISC processor which is not user in the newer Macs thus not supported by OS X)

If you want to assemble a nice non-real Mac computer, google '10.6.5. HCL + osx86project' or 'hackintosh desktop building' etc.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.5

This will get you started, look at the 'most common' used components - Mainboard and Graphics card = most important, be sure to pick compatible ones. Processor I recommend any from the Intel Core Family.

Post more questions, I'll be glad to help out.

I don't think you should even try to build a custom PowerMac G5 (notice the Power - means it's ran on Power architecture or a RISC processor which is not user in the newer Macs thus not supported by OS X)

If you want to assemble a nice non-real Mac computer, google '10.6.5. HCL + osx86project' or 'hackintosh desktop building' etc.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.5

This will get you started, look at the 'most common' used components - Mainboard and Graphics card = most important, be sure to pick compatible ones. Processor I recommend any from the Intel Core Family.

Post more questions, I'll be glad to help out.

I'm sorry I don't understand...I don't want to hack a g5, I basically want a g5, but don't have the bread to buy a new or really, a used one. Since people sell g5 parts on ebay, I was thinking I could just buy them 1 at a time and the end result would still be a g5 mac, I would just be assembling the thing myself. But of course i don't know which parts I would need to complete the thing. Does that make sense?

No.

Low end, old, used G5 go here in Germany for under 200 Euros. Some people sell them in as parts to get more money for.

If you buy the parts, risk of buying parts, that dont fit is high, risk of damage as you assemble them is even higher.

What will you get by buying cheap stuff? Cheap product...which is a waste of money and therefore expensive...

I bought a single prozessor 1,8 G5 for 165 Euros on Ebay, just for my collection. Took me 3 months to get this cheap deal.

You could try to get a cheap one on ebay... if you have to wait...you can use the time to save the money...

No.

Low end, old, used G5 go here in Germany for under 200 Euros. Some people sell them in as parts to get more money for.

If you buy the parts, risk of buying parts, that dont fit is high, risk of damage as you assemble them is even higher.

What will you get by buying cheap stuff? Cheap product...which is a waste of money and therefore expensive...

I bought a single prozessor 1,8 G5 for 165 Euros on Ebay, just for my collection. Took me 3 months to get this cheap deal.

You could try to get a cheap one on ebay... if you have to wait...you can use the time to save the money...

bummer... :pirate2:

well would anyone be able to get me a basic parts list for a g5?

thanks

Seriously, Apple has stopped the production of G5's about 5 years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5

I don't know why would you want one now, and why would you prefer to build it from expensive discontinued parts instead of just getting a second-hand one, or building a Hackintosh.

then how about building a mac pro? I figured building the newest model would be the most expensive