VBIOS injection

wastez

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I´ve one short question.

I ´ve a ATI Radeon 5770 Overclocking Edtion and it is underclocked from OSX.

If i enter vbios=yes in boot.plist did it take the mhz also from it?

Would be really nice to know....

Thx & Greetz

Why do you think OSX is underclocking?

Some GPU test will show lower MHz but doesn't mean the GPU is being underclocked, it is just an error in what's reported by the test software. (This is covered in the 5770 thread!)

As far as I know VBIOS will just inject device properties read from the GPU BIOS. The OS should not underclock. However AGPM will reduce clock and power in idle!

If you are using Chameleon 2 RC5 from current trunk or Kabyls booter for ATI then VBIOS=Yes is default!

D

Why do you think OSX is underclocking?

Some GPU test will show lower MHz but doesn't mean the GPU is being underclocked, it is just an error in what's reported by the test software. (This is covered in the 5770 thread!)

As far as I know VBIOS will just inject device properties read from the GPU BIOS. The OS should not underclock. However AGPM will reduce clock and power in idle!

If you are using Chameleon 2 RC5 from current trunk or Kabyls booter for ATI then VBIOS=Yes is default!

D

Is it not for injecting properties from a rom which is stored in Extra?!

I think that it is underclocked because i heared that apples 5770 is running with 725 mhz.....

Thx for your reply

interesting...

I really want to know if the ATI Cards 5000 Series are running with Powerplay (ATI Powermanagment with 2d and 3d clocks and Voltage) or not.

When i watch my 5750 Temperatures i n OSX i think the Powermanagment isnt working!

In W7 x64 its 45C in Idle Mode ( passiv cooling) in OSX its 51C Idle. Load Temps are the same

So i dont think the Apple Drivers from 10.6.5 doesnt support ATi Powerplay

Is it not for injecting properties from a rom which is stored in Extra?!

I think that it is underclocked because i heared that apples 5770 is running with 725 mhz.....

Thx for your reply

No that is "UseAtiROM"

Yes the apple cards are underclocked. But not by the OS - by use of different EFI ROM.

interesting...

I really want to know if the ATI Cards 5000 Series are running with Powerplay (ATI Powermanagment with 2d and 3d clocks and Voltage) or not.

When i watch my 5750 Temperatures i n OSX i think the Powermanagment isnt working!

In W7 x64 its 45C in Idle Mode ( passiv cooling) in OSX its 51C Idle. Load Temps are the same

So i dont think the Apple Drivers from 10.6.5 doesnt support ATi Powerplay

Again - in the 5770 thread I have shown applegraphicspowermanagement (AGPM) to be working for my 5770 -- 2 seconds and I'll find the post.

actually that's bollox - I was thinking of my GTX260...

Hmmmm

EDIT - either way fans aren't running 100% at idle so there must be some PM happening

I'd like to know how to check this also!

D

this has really got me thinking now ...

Cinebench (64bit) in win 7 x64 gives me an open GL test result of 52fps -

I get 31fps in OS X!

OK there maybe a difference in the implication of OpenGL in win7 and OS X but surely not to such a large degree?!

I can't find any information about what's controlling ATI GPU power levels in OS X but presume it must be part of the ati kext - any information wellcome.

A port of something like ATITool or NVClock equivelant would obviously be very useful here.

Im now also swinging to the opinion that under OS X ATI 5xxx aren't reaching the top power level and are effectively underclocked.

Anybody?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...dynpm&num=1

D

this has really got me thinking now ...

Cinebench (64bit) in win 7 x64 gives me an open GL test result of 52fps -

I get 31fps in OS X!

OK there maybe a difference in the implication of OpenGL in win7 and OS X but surely not to such a large degree?!

I can't find any information about what's controlling ATI GPU power levels in OS X but presume it must be part of the ati kext - any information wellcome.

A port of something like ATITool or NVClock equivelant would obviously be very useful here.

Im now also swinging to the opinion that under OS X ATI 5xxx aren't reaching the top power level and are effectively underclocked.

Anybody?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...dynpm&num=1

D

The cinebench result is exactly the reason why i´m thinking that the 5770 is underclocked but i can´t say it for sure.

It would be really interessting if it is underclocked and if it is what is the way to change that......

The cinebench result is exactly the reason why i´m thinking that the 5770 is underclocked but i can´t say it for sure.

It would be really interessting if it is underclocked and if it is what is the way to change that......

Again we need some tool to read ATI GPU core and mem clock ..

However it does look like Windows 7 running on Mac hardware ruins 10.6.3 in tests.

Still this test is flawed (for our needs!) as they have not taken into account power management of the mac mini's NVidia GPU under Win7 and OS X!

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...part3&num=1

EDIT - Maybe you should change the title of this post, this isn't really about VBIOS anymore ;)

D