Shot myself in the foot.

10 posts in this topic

In getting my old G31M-ES2L ready with Snow for my wife to use, I decided to use case sensitive file systems since it wouldn't matter to her, and being an old Unix guy, I find non case sensitivity frustrating.

I used skinhead's method and kexts, figuring it should be a piece of cake but I have spent half a day trying to solve the CMOS reset problem. I used his dsdt.aml but it did not seem to work. I disassembled it, compared it to others, yadda, yadda. On a wild hare, I did "mv dstd.aml DSDT.aml" and no more CMOS resets!!

Don't give up on that just yet - try with AppleHDA from 10.6.2.

I don't think legacy kexts work for anyone anymore on later versions of AppleHDA - unless AppleHDA is patched.

Apple changed the way AppleHDA works since 10.6.2 so that you can't use a legacy kext to add device IDs anymore.

There's a bunch of perl scripts floating around that can patch post-10.6.2 AppleHDA to work with a handful of on-board sound codecs, but I don't know if one is available for the ALC883.

Don't give up on that just yet - try with AppleHDA from 10.6.2.

I will have to look for that on the web. My retail disk is 10.6.3, so I can't go back before that

I don't think legacy kexts work for anyone anymore on later versions of AppleHDA - unless AppleHDA is patched.

Apple changed the way AppleHDA works since 10.6.2 so that you can't use a legacy kext to add device IDs anymore.

Problem is that I don't make a hobby of this, so I don't know these things and have not found any concise information. There is a lot spread around but it is of the "try this" variety instead of "use VoodoHDA with xyz" or "LegacyXYZ with QRS" or such. Does VoodoHDA work with recent Snow? I couldn't find that on their site.

There's a bunch of perl scripts floating around that can patch post-10.6.2 AppleHDA to work with a handful of on-board sound codecs, but I don't know if one is available for the ALC883.

I did not know that. I guess I will have to Google a bit.

Thanks for the help.

There is a lot spread around but it is of the "try this" variety instead of "use VoodoHDA with xyz" or "LegacyXYZ with QRS" or such.

Yep, that's just how it is. Most of the time you can't guarantee that this or that will work since every PC is different.

Does VoodoHDA work with recent Snow? I couldn't find that on their site.

Yes. Latest version is over at the ProjectOSX forums in the VoodooHDA thread.

EDIT

Just stumbled upon this topic; should be useful to you:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

There's a bin-patched AppleHDA from 10.6.3 for ALC883 in this topic by the generous oldnapalm:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214058

being a unix person myself, i set one of my install with case sensitive ON.

i got it to install and run, however, too many software installations will fail, have to fix them very often.

basically i got tired of fixing stuff.

i backed everything up . repartitioned it nonsensitive. restored. ALL much better now..

Yep, that's just how it is. Most of the time you can't guarantee that this or that will work since every PC is different.

Yes. Latest version is over at the ProjectOSX forums in the VoodooHDA thread.

EDIT

Just stumbled upon this topic; should be useful to you:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

There's a bin-patched AppleHDA from 10.6.3 for ALC883 in this topic by the generous oldnapalm:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214058

Oy! Maybe I should have just bought my wife an iMac .... I just spent 10 hours trying to find out why the A/D cards at a customer site stop giving readings - now I have to get an education in arcane sound hardware. Yuck.

VoodoHDA installed but I get horrendous feedback. I thought it was maybe skinkead's HPET section conflicting so removed it. That was not it. The hardware seems to couple input to output almost from boot. Without the HPET section in dsdt.aml, OS X did not find a mic, although it was screaming with feedback. We are not audiophiles - my wife needs Skype to talk to her daughters in Ukraine - so I don't care if the sound is not perfect. But I need some sound in and out, preferably without a direct hardware connection from in to out ;)

Thanks though. I appreciate the help.

being a unix person myself, i set one of my install with case sensitive ON.

i got it to install and run, however, too many software installations will fail, have to fix them very often.

basically i got tired of fixing stuff.

i backed everything up . repartitioned it nonsensitive. restored. ALL much better now..

I questioned the wisdom of the move, but was frustrated enough to give it a shot. So far I have had no problems on my box, an i5-750 GA-P55M setup. I'm lovin' it! I will revert if I have to.