Some Basic questions about nVidia cards

ryudo423

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

So I am thinking about picking up a new graphics card for my hack. I currently have an ATI radeon 4350 and have had enough of it with os x. I have tried for the past two days to get it to work with 10.6.5 and no luck. As I have been wanting to upgrade my card anyway i think i am going to make the Jump to Nvidia. so i have some questions:

I am led to believe nVidia cards as a whole are more supported and easier to set up.. is this true?

i would like a card that's easy to set up in 10.6.5 and provides pretty good gaming.. (I do game a bit in my windows partiton)

I use VGA and am on a tight budget.. dont want to spend more that 75 bucks.. ive looke don newegg and found the 200 series GT.. are they any good..

Thanks guys!

Most NVidia cards will work with just graphics enabler. (google it; very easy)

It you can stretch to 100$; there is the GTS250 which is fine, else you should be able to get a 9800GT for less.

Lower down the 9600GT is a bit more more powerfull than a GT240.

Good luck :( (not that you need much; those cards are a safe ride)

Damn it feels good to do this:

Stay away from Fermi cards for now. Only the 470 and 480 work, but with substantial performance degradation, a vsync issue and no OpenCL or CUDA (if I recall correctly).

At this time, the fastest nvidia card that will work perfectly is the GTX 285.

New nvidia drivers are out with improved Fermi support.

I use a Leadtek Winfast 9800GTX+ device ID 0x0612, it works out of the box (HDMI untested) with unmodified nvidia drivers and NVEnabler.kext or Chameleon GraphicsEnabler. Gaming performance is good at 1280x1024.

Stay away from Fermi cards for now. Only the 470 and 480 work, but with substantial performance degradation, a vsync issue and no OpenCL or CUDA (if I recall correctly).

At this time, the fastest nvidia card that will work perfectly is the GTX 285.

I use a Leadtek Winfast 9800GTX+ device ID 0x0612, it works out of the box (HDMI untested) with unmodified nvidia drivers and NVEnabler.kext or Chameleon GraphicsEnabler. Gaming performance is good at 1280x1024.

Thanks for the fast reply... i think i may go with the gt 240 as im really only a moderate gamer and on a tight budget..