[HOW TO] ATI HD 4350

ANARCHiNTOSH

74 posts in this topic

ATI Radeon 4350

Guide for Snow Leopard

Helpful Information

Currently on 10.6.3 through 10.6.6 you will get a green apple () in top left of transparent menu bar instead of the standard black one () and some OpenGL issues. On 10.6.2 you will get the same OpenGL issues but no green apple.

10.6.5/6 provides the best performance for ATI4350, so use that if you can.

You must apply the OSX update before you go through the steps.

E/E stands for /Extra/Extensions/

S/L/E stands for /System/Library/Extensions/

You may find apple's combo updates useful.

To find a combo update, google "(your snow leopard version eg. 10.6.2) combo update"

How to update from different OSX versions

As an OSX86er i highly recommend you have two installations of OSX on your hackintosh.

Your main OSX installation that you use regularly, and a secondary installation for testing/rescue/updating.

This can be on a thumb drive or a separate partition or a different hardrive.

When you update your OSX, i recommend downloading the combo update and applying it from your secondary installation to your main installation. Then you can run through the guide steps. This helps to avoid complications.

How to do a fresh install of OSX with ATI4350 support

Again, i recommend setting up a secondary OSX installation before setting up a main OSX installation.

If your secondary installation will not boot, you can try using -x boot flag or this kext moving trick, to get it to boot into a {censored} graphics mode from which you can set up your main installation with full graphics support.

From your secondary installation, install to your main installation the retail disk, a combo update to 10.6.2, 10.6.3, 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 then apply the guide steps to your main installation. Do not boot into your main installation until you have done everything.

10.6.4 information

I strongly advise users to use 10.6.5/6, and if not 10.6.2 or 10.6.3.

10.6.4 method is a bit {censored}/confusing, but fully works.

You need to do the special steps below, then follow the other steps in this guide.

Special 10.6.4 Steps:

Replace all of 10.6.4's ati kexts that can be found in S/L/E with the ones from 10.6.3 S/L/E . By S/L/E ati kexts i mean all kexts whose filename begins with "ATI".

To make it easier for you, here are the 10.6.3 ATI kexts.

Do not install the "SnowLeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0" which appears in Software Update.

If you ever want to update from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5/6, you will need to replace the 10.6.3 ATI kexts with the 10.6.4 vanilla ati kexts before going through the guide.

Bootloaders:

For 10.6.2 / 10.6.3 / 10.6.4 install:

PC_EFI_10.6.zip OR Chameleon_2.0_RC4_V3.zip

It has been reported (but not guaranteed) that PC_EFI 10.6 works for DVI, while Chameleon RC4 works for VGA.

For 10.6.5/6 install the latest revision of Chameleon 2 RC5

i have only got it to work with DVI...

Kexts: (these only inject device-id into correct kexts)

Download ATI4350.Fix.MULTi.zip

For 10.6.2 add ATI4350.Fix.v0.kext and ATI4350.Fix.v1.kext to /E/E/

For 10.6.3 there are two methods

Method A:

add ATI4350.Fix.v1.kext to /E/E/

Method B: (might provide better graphics performance)

ignore the fix.kexts and install these kexts to /S/L/E/

zhongtaiyang_kexts_from_10.6.2_for_10.6.3.zip

For 10.6.4 add ATI4350.Fix.v1.kext to /E/E/

Also follow the special 10.6.4 steps mentioned before

For 10.6.5/6 add ATI4350.Fix.v2.kext to /E/E/

Add this flag to your com.apple.boot.plist: (Found in /Extra)

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Open your boot.plist with Textwrangler, add flag and save it.

Download com.apple.boot.plist.zip for an example of how it should be added. (dont just put it in /Extra!)

Additional Necessary Steps:

For 10.6.5/6: it will not work if you have device-id in ATI4500Controller.kext (found in /S/L/E/)

Delete ATI4500Controller.kext

Optional Steps for 10.6.5/6: If you want to make extra sure that you have the right kexts, delete all kexts in S/L/E that begin with ATI... Then put these kexts into S/L/E.

For all OSX versions:

Delete /E/Extensions.mkext and /S/L/caches/com.apple.kext.caches

Download and install pfix if you don't already have it.

Open the OS X Terminal, type pfix, press enter, select your OSX installation drive and run it.

You have now fixed permissions and refreshed your kextcaches.

Reboot and enjoy!

Troubleshooting:

If you think you have messed up your S/L/E ati kexts, you can open the combo-update diskimages with Pacifist navigate to S/L/E in the disk image.

This lets you get the vanilla kexts from official OSX updates.

Also, try booting with ignore kextcaches flag -f. if this works run pfix as soon as you have booted into osx.

Thanks for the guide, but i cant get it to work for some reason :). I had 10.6.3 working decently and made a clone on my windows hard drive. I installed 10.6.5 and rc5 to both mac os partitions and put the injected kext into E/E. have graphics enabler set to yes.. But I am only greeted with a black screen even with safe boot.... I suspect this all may be caused as a result of my use of VGA... if so would a dvi to vga adapter work (my moniter has no input for dvi) thanks greatly! idk how to get back into osx now unless i can edit in chameleon idk

EDIT: used MacDrive on my windows partition to revert back to chameleon rc4.. I picked up an adapter but i don't think it converts anything. I am fairly certain i am having trouble due to my use of VGA... will wait for a VGA solution/keep trying to find one on 10.6.5

I followed the steps for 10.6.5 and now after restart I get a kernel panic.

I can start in safe mode and then I have full resolution so the driver is working somehow.

But I can't get a finger on the panic in normal startup...??

Please help...

Regards,

Richard

So i have a 4350 on board and a chameleon which came along with the hazard 10.6.2 installation.

Will this driver work for me???

true AppleHWSensor.kext 1.9.2d0 RV710 [Radeon HD 4350] 0300

true AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext 3.1.0 RV710 [Radeon HD 4350] 0300

true IONDRVSupport.kext 2.0 RV710 [Radeon HD 4350] 0300

these all texts are loaded for graphics but the instructions that came along with the fix said that i gotta have atiradeonx2000.kext loaded.The x2000.kext is their in extensions will adding the fix work ??

@ryudo

i'm not sure i can help if VGA is not working for you....

have you got a dvi monitor you could use to test if graphicsenabler is actually working?

@mindruler

i forgot to add this info in the guide: did you update before doing the guide. I've also added some info to guide that might help...

also are you using vga or dvi?

@123432

i dont support distros like hazard, iatkos etc. sorry

I have an Asus Ati HD4350 1GB

I' have updated to 10.6.4, installed RC5 and put fix.v2...

Now, even booting with -v -x, just a second before the screen where I choose the User there is no more signal form PC to the screen. I can hear the noise of HD anyway so i guess that it's still loading.

This happens in VGA and in DVI too.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm italian

Kext moving trick: (linked to from post #1)

This moves all ati kexts to a folder named 'kext_backup' at the root of your drive. It can get your card to boot into a basic graphics mode (VESA) if safe mode etc isnt working.

HOW TO MOVE THE KEXTS FROM SINGLE USER MODE:

Type flag at boot: -s and press enter. Then type this at boot, pressing enter at the end of each line:

/sbin/mount -uw /

mkdir /kext_backup

mv /System/Library/Extensions/ATI* /kext_backup

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

reboot

IF IT WORKS:

it will boot up into a horrificly low resolution vesa desktop

hooray you have succeeded!

I recommend getting your main OSX installation running perfectly before trying to get proper graphics support for your secondary installation. Only then revert the kext moving.

You can revert it easily in Finder by moving the ati kexts from /kext_backup/ to S/L/E, and running pfix.

IF IT DOESNT WORK:

you can revert the kext moving from single user mode.

TO REVERT THE ATI KEXT MOVING FROM SINGLE USER MODE:

boot into single user mode again (flag -s at boot) and type these commands:

/sbin/mount -uw /

mv /kext_backup/* /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

rm -rf /kext_backup

reboot

Well, i have made some progress and can fully boot into os x 10.6.5.... have been messing around with different kexts and bootloaders all day with no luck.. stuck at one resolution and qe/ci is not enabled. maybe newer versions of rc5 will fix it. I can only hope others find some new workarounds! tx again Anarcintosh for your efforts

@ryudo

latest cham2 rc5 build is r629

just a shot in the dark, but try deleting in /S/L/E/ all kexts beginning with ATI...

then put these kexts (the vanilla 10.6.5 kexts, without 4500controller) in S/L/E

http://www.mediafire.com/?7wmg9cfl23vnxv7

then do all the other 10.6.5 steps (including running pfix).

im suggesting this just in case your kexts have got messed up somehow

I attempted these instructions with 10.6.5 and a Asus EAS 512MB 4350 Silent, and was unable to get this card working. I used Chameleon RC5 v629 with graphics enabler on and the v2 injector kext (which I understand injects the device ID into the 4600 controller kext) on a clean installation. The monitor is linked over DVI.

I wonder if anyone has tried using DSDT? There seems to be something sinister going on with this card - I've had it working previously in 10.6.2 with the 4500 controller and X2000 kexts, but even then the performance was shotty.

I wouldn't even deal with this card if there were a supported, low profile, PCIe, fanless video card for my HTPC. Any suggestions on alternatives to this card?

• 2 weeks later...

I manage to install Snow Leopard on my system (MB: GA-EP35C-DS3R, GPU: Ati 4350) but i have problems with screen resolution. I do the right setup with Lizard and the resolution is 1400 x 1050 instead of 1680 x 1050. System profiler reports:

ATI Radeon 4300 Series:

Chipset Model:	ATI Radeon 4300 Series
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  Slot:	Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	256 MB
  Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:	0x954f
  Revision ID:	0x0000
  ROM Revision:	113-B7710C-176
  EFI Driver Version:	01.00.318
  Displays:
Display:
  Resolution:	1400 x 1050
  Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
Display Connector:

and my com.apple.boot.plist is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>Graphics Mode</key>
 <string>1680x1050x32</string>
 <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>GenerateCStates</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>GeneratePStates</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <key>Rescan</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <string></string>
 <key>PciRoot</key>
 <string>1</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Your 10.6.5 guide worked like a charm with my setup, MSI P45 Neo3FR, Sapphire 4350, E8400, 4GB DDR2, Voodoo HDA, TI pci firewire card (deleted applehpet). (I used an old 7900GT with retail disc to setup my 2nd install with the 4350). Still testing but the system seems really stable so far, everything seems to work. Thanks for the guide ANARCHiNTOSH, and a big THANKYOU to the entire community!!!

Thanks for an excellent guide. I followed it for 10.6.5 (which I installed on using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and a retail disc on a MSI P45 Platinum).

I have 2 questions that I've not been able to find clear answers to:

- Has anyone managed to get dual out running via DVI and HDMI? - I tried this and both screens are cloned with osx only reporting that one monitor is connected. Applications seem to work normally.

- Is it possible to get 2 4350's working if the above doesn't work? - I tried this and whilst it looked successful, the secondary card output showed what I can describe as a slow moving raster-type corruption. None of the applications started successfully.

Does anyone have any pointers on where I can start in order to resolve this please?

Thank you for posting the guide on 4350HD id 1002:954F. I have question which i don't understand or it's not clear to me. Sorry. Please guide me if i did it correctly. Currently i used iATKOS_S3_version2 which came with 10.6.3. Unfortunately it cause my pc to have KP. so at safe mode, i update to 10.6.5 combo. everything work great, even sound. but my graphic card is not. Anyway to make it short is this what i should do:

Currently is 10.6.5

1. Install Chameleon v2 RC5 latest version

2. Delete all kext begin with ATI in S/L/E

3. Install 10.6.5 vanilla ATI kexts <--- I install this using KextHelper

4. Install ATI4350.Fix.v2.kext. you said to put this in E/E or S/L/E.

Test 1) if i use KextHelper, it will asked me to restart and it i restart my pc cause KP cause it can not load kext com.apple.text.ati4600controller. I do not know how to fix so i did a clean installation of 10.6.3 then update to

Test 2) if i use Kext Utility to install ATI4350.Fix.v2.kext then in terminal this is what i did;

this is what i type in terminal:

at the prompt: pfix then hit enter then i enter the password

at the prompt, i type: /system/library/extension/ATI4350.Fix.v2.kext then i hit enter

pfix did its thing and later asked me to restart. before i restart, i went into S/L/E and look in ati4600controller and i do not see an injection of device id 0x954f1002 in it. so i did a restart. and it cause KP where it said not load kext com.apple.text.ati4600controller.

Question how do i use pfix? is that the correct way to type?

I look in the /Extra folder but i do not a com.apple.boot.plist so i just copy and paste the one i download from your post.

i never get a chance to do step 6 and 7 cause of kp.

5. Edit com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra folder with Textwrangler

6. Delect /E/Extensions.kext and S/L/caches/com.apple.kext.caches

7. Open Terminal, type pfix, press enter, select your OSX installtion drive

and run it.

8. Reboot

Please help me.

FYI: when i download and extract ATI4350.Fix.v2.kext it gave me error. it's like the file is missing something. i redownload and extract again and still get an error of extracting

! C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Downloads\ATI4350\ATI4350.Fix.MULTi.zip: Cannot create ATI4350.Fix.MULTi\Which kexts should i use?.txt

! The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

! C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Downloads\ATI4350\ATI4350.Fix.MULTi.zip: Attempting to correct the invalid file name

! C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Downloads\ATI4350\ATI4350.Fix.MULTi.zip: Renaming ATI4350.Fix.MULTi\Which kexts should i use?.txt to ATI4350.Fix.MULTi\Which kexts should i use_.txt

! C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Downloads\ATI4350\ATI4350.Fix.MULTi.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\ATI4350.Fix.MULTi\._Which kexts should i use?.txt

! The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

! C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Downloads\ATI4350\ATI4350.Fix.MULTi.zip: Attempting to correct the invalid file name

! C:\Documents and Settings\test\My Documents\Downloads\ATI4350\ATI4350.Fix.MULTi.zip: Renaming __MACOSX\ATI4350.Fix.MULTi\._Which kexts should i use?.txt to __MACOSX\ATI4350.Fix.MULTi\._Which kexts should i use_.txt

Maybe i miss read your guide. Will this works:

1. Delete all kext starting with ATI in S/L/E

2. Run Kext Utility to install all ATI and ATI4350.Fix.v2.kext from your download like. This will install to S/L/E

3. Edit com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra folder with Textwrangler

4. Delete Extensions.kext in /Extra folder and delete com.apple.kext.caches folder in S/L/caches folder

5. Run Kext Utility to fix

6. Reboot

FYI: I do not have a com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra folder. What should i do? please help

i've 4350 too, but my computer is based on AMD. After i inserted Empire EFI CD to boot SL before installation, it's panic. But i try to boot with -x and can install SL. After installation, it still need -x to boot at SL. If i boot in normal mode, it always panic on ATIX2000. Do u have solution? thx

GA-M61PME-S2P

AMD Athlon X2 7750

DVD-RW LG

WDC HDD 80 GB

Seagate HDD 160 GB

ATI HIS 4350

i've 4350 too, but my computer is based on AMD. After i inserted Empire EFI CD to boot SL before installation, it's panic. But i try to boot with -x and can install SL. After installation, it still need -x to boot at SL. If i boot in normal mode, it always panic on ATIX2000. Do u have solution? thx

GA-M61PME-S2P

AMD Athlon X2 7750

DVD-RW LG

WDC HDD 80 GB

Seagate HDD 160 GB

ATI HIS 4350

the best thing to do would be to read through this thread, where a number of people with AMD found some way to get their 4350 to work, im not sure how they did it though.

also, if you google "ati 4350 os x" there are other threads with answers

gl

Hi u all,

i tried everything to get my Sapphire 4350 1GB to work, but no success.

From Screengarbage to "No Signal" i get it all but no Desktop, no QE and no CI.

I used the VGA Output.

Are there any ATI Card that works complete ootb, with all Outputs and HDSound via HDMI?

Kaltenbecher

I just want to report that i've successfully install ati4350 with a green apple logo on the top left. I can set my display to whatever resolution i want. This was what i did:

1. install Chameleon 2 RC5 r643

2. delete all ATI in S/L/E

3. using KextUtility to install all ATI from 1st post where it say Additional Steps

4. using KextUtility to install ATI4350.Fix.v2.kext

5. i do not need to edit com.apple.boot.plist since it's already enabled

6. delete /E/Extensions.mkext and /S/L/caches/com.apple.kext.caches folder

7. run KextUtility and restart (Done and successfully)

Everything in my system work 100%

thanks ANARCHiNTOSH