Can I use every version of the ASUS P5LD2 ?

13 posts in this topic

Many of the OSX86 users are using the ASUS P5LD2 MoBo, but what about the different versions?

There is the VM, the SE, the DELUXE and so on.

But what about the differences? Is every type of the ASUS P5LD2 fully workable with OSX86.

I'm asking because I now have a ECS 915P-A and JaS 10.4.6 working in my Hackintosh, everything works well - except my Cinergy T2 with EyeTV 2. So I want to change the MoBo because of the chipset. But can I take any of the ASUS P5LD2's without problems. Ohh, I'm using an Intel P4 630.

Hey, this thread is alive! Yes!

I studied the whole wiki on search for a new MoBo. Most people here have the -VM.

Maybe it's the best one of these P5LD2 boards. Seems that I would be on the safer side with this one.

It seems that there is no real difference between the different types of the P5LD2 and OSX86, right?

Guest bikedude880

Besides support for different hardware (processor, memory, expansion slots), there isn't much difference with any board in the P5LD2 series that I can see by looking at brief descriptons. Good luck!

Besides support for different hardware (processor, memory, expansion slots), there isn't much difference with any board in the P5LD2 series that I can see by looking at brief descriptons. Good luck!

thanks! because this is exactly what I wanted to know...this means I can use any board of the P5LD2-series with OSX86.

• 4 months later...
Many of the OSX86 users are using the ASUS P5LD2 MoBo, but what about the different versions?

There is the VM, the SE, the DELUXE and so on.

But what about the differences? Is every type of the ASUS P5LD2 fully workable with OSX86.

I'm asking because I now have a ECS 915P-A and JaS 10.4.6 working in my Hackintosh, everything works well - except my Cinergy T2 with EyeTV 2. So I want to change the MoBo because of the chipset. But can I take any of the ASUS P5LD2's without problems. Ohh, I'm using an Intel P4 630.

I´ve just bought a p5ld2 se , but i couldn´t manage to boot osx.

Maybe its a ACPI incompatibility.

Could anybody help me

Come on, is nobody here who can tell me something about the combatibility of these different motherboard types of the Asus P5LD2 and OSX86?

If you are going to buy the -VM make sure you get a Version 2 which supports Core 2 Duo cpus

Honestly, I would get the ASRock Conroe.. a have had both and like the ASRock more!

All P5LD2 models should be 100% working. If it doesn't boot, check if you have accidentally left some wrong options into the BIOS. For example: the "execute disable" functionality should be enabled, and for the first boot the onboard audio probably should be disabled. And don't use other ATA interfaces than the one Intel's own ICH7 provides.

This motherboard should be in all aspects better than any Asrock product. For example, it has fully working gigabit lan (Asrock has it only with no-so-stable diy-drivers).

AFAIK :

the -V means it uses the 945G chipset = onboard video (otherwise the 945P chipset is used). -M means mATX. -SE = 2 ram slots and no raid. -1394 has built in firewire.

So a -V is the same as -VM but is a full size board = 1 extra PCIeX1 and 1 extra PCI slot. -VM 1394 same as before but has FW, -V SE = -VM SE but without onboard video etc etc

I found all the flavours very stable and an excellent platform for OSx86, sound works fine (in/out, mic, spdif ->4 speaker surround, headphone -> full 6.1 being worked on right now by others)... I recommended this board to a couple of friends & we had 100% success with -V, -VM SE, -1394 versions.

Two caveats 1) NX is disabled by default, you need to turn it on in BIOS to boot os X (odd decision by ASUS there) 2) quirky boot device order selection; you set up the CD/Floppy/HD on one screen, and the order of HDs gets set up on another BIOS screen. All easily spotted if you RTFM.

A bonus is the fact that you can load up your own boot up pic into bios ;-)