Hangs after install, does not reboot!

tgrendel

12 posts in this topic

i recently bought a MacBook and was so impressed with OSX that I wanted to give installing it on my desktop computer a shot. First off let me give you some system specs:

MSI K8N SLI Platinum

AMD X2 4400+

NEC ND3520

Samsung 160GB SATA

WD 160GB IDE

ATI Radeon X850XT

I currently have Windows XP installed on my 160GB SATA drive which has 2 primary partitions and I want to install OSX to the IDE drive using the JaS 10.4.6 prepatched DVD. The DVD boots fine and starts the installer. I split my IDE disk into 2 partitions and prepare the first partition as Mac OSX journaled. I customize the installation with the AMD base system patch and the AMD SSE3 patch before I start the installation. After a while it's finished installing and is going to reboot the system, but it never does. The system hangs on the last screen when it's supposed to reboot.

I have no idea how to solve this, but I suspect it might have something to do with the dual core? I wanted to deactivate one core in my BIOS but there's no option for it so I haven't been able to give that a try.

Has anybody here experienced the same type of problem? Do you guys have a possible solution to this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I really want to run OSX on my desktop computer as well.

Sorry Tgrendel, I don't have the solution, just the same problem. Last week I tried a 10.4.3 version which installed and booted fine. That one just dn't run on normal speeds. It was dead slow. CPU was doing nothing...

Today I tried the same DVD (the JaS 10.4.6). Installation went fine, but after reboot, I just see a blinking cursor in the left top of the screen. I set out to download the Goatsecx. See what that does.

My system is:

AMD64 - 2000Mhz (supports SSE2)

768Mb DDR400 (Corsair CL2.5)

200Gb Sata disk (not touched) + 80Gb Ata (installed OSX here)

Radeon 9800PRO

ASUS K8N-Deluxe (nForce3)

You can add my name to the list of people who have this problem with a dual core Intel cpu (Pentium 805, Radeon x800, Abit NI8-SLI, 2 ggs DDR667). Install completes, doesn't reboot. When it does reboot, blinking cursor. I was using Goatsecx 10.4.6.

a small update on the situation:

i tried yesterday to install with the 'cpus=1' command but the same thing happens. When finishing the installation the system hangs and doesn't reboot. When i reboot manually it actually starts loading (tried with the 'cpus=1' option here as well) and i get the apple background and the progress cirkel, but then after a while it stops and I get the stop sign over the apple logo.

and i get the apple background and the progress cirkel, but then after a while it stops and I get the stop sign over the apple logo.

During the install, right before clicking the "Install" button, you should have clicked the "Customize" button. What packages did you install there?

i've actually tried a couple of different things for the installation. i have tried with two different ISOs I think, the JaS 10.4.6 one and one that I got from Newzbin. With both of them I have tried to click Customize before Install and I have installed the AMD SS3 patch and the AMD Base System patch, but when I try to boot after the installation hangs I get a kernel panic. When I try installing without pressing the customize button first it actually starts booting, but after a while I get the apple logo with the stop sign in front of it. I have tried booting in verbose mode and I get the following errors:

in6_ifattach_linklocal: failed to configure a link-local address on lo0 (errno=55)

in6_ifattach: lo0 failed to attach a linklocal address

I'm not sure if these are actual errors or if they hav anything to do with the problem I'm having, but this one sure does:

Still waiting for root device

I get this message evry couple of minutes and I suspect it could have to do with the partition not being set as active maybe? Or do you have any idea what this could be? I even tried removing the SATA drive and booting with only the IDE drive but it doesn't make any difference.

Still waiting for root device

1) If it is during the boot of the install DVD, the problem is finding the drives - having the ATA drives in the right order and properly set to master or slave. Or it could be SATA drives which can not be recognized. Or it could be problems with external drives or flash drives.

2) If it happens during boot of the installation, then you did not select packages or the right packages under Customize (for the most part).

Not having your partition active would make it such that the partition would not even try to boot.

this happens after the installation has finished and I try to boot the installation. Based on the system specs in the first post, which packages am I supposed to select? Like I said, when I tried the AMD Base System and AMD SSE3 patches I get kernel panic when I try to boot the installation. I would think these are the correct ones, at least the most obvious, but am I missing something? Do I need to install any patches for the nForce 4 chipset or something? I didn't see this patch on the install DVD so maybe it's something I have to add manually?

EUREKA, it finally worked :)

here's what I had to do:

i configured my IDE drive as primary IDE master (jumpered as master) and the DVD as primary IDE slave (jumpered as slave). I also disabled the SATA controller in the bios just in case (that will be the next project, establishing a dual boot with Win XP). Then, using the JaS 10.4.6 prepatched DVD for the installation, i customized the installation with the 10.4.6 combo update, AMD Base System, AMD SSE2 and the VIA SATA patch (says in the information that it's for using either nForce or VIA SATA drives).

It still didn't reboot automatically after the install finished, and when I rebooted manually I got a "b0 error". I solved this by using spfdisk to set the partition to active and then when i rebooted again it finally booted sucssesfully into OSX. I'm not sure if that is a factor, but I also made just one partition on the disk for the OSX installation that takes up the entire disk.

As I mentioned, the next project now is to get dual boot with my SATA Windows XP installation going.