ALC889A setup for 10.6.4 the easy way

3ofakind

13 posts in this topic

Firstly, thank you for all the hard work and information in the ALC889A sticky. I eventually got my sound working but it was only after several failed attempts at trying to interpret the overwhelming amount of information in that post.

So here is the simplified version for beginners. These steps have all been distilled solely from the one sticky page above.

You must be on OS X version 10.6.4. I used iATKOS S3 v2 (10.6.3) with vanilla (no audio) options then upgraded to 10.6.4.

Download Kext Helper b7. Run the program so it's ready to go.

Download the file ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip It is in the section "10.6.2 and higher". Yes it's hard to find. Open the zip and you'll see some folders.

Grab the file "HDAEnabler_for Snow/HDAEnabler_885/HDAEnabler.kext" and drag it to Kext Helper.

Next select the folder that matches your system depending on if you have 5 ports or 6 ports. I have 6 ports so I selected "4outs2ins HDA headphone/LegacyHDA.kext" and dragged that to Kext Helper.

So now you have the two Kexts ready to go just enter your admin password and click EASY INSTALL

That's it. Once again, thanks to all those who put so much work into this just to make it easy for beginners like myself.

EDIT: Motherboard was a GA-EP45-DS3R

I am glad this worked for you!

It would be nice not to have to jump trough all of your spamming hoops.

And No it did not work for me :)

After the 10.6.3 update I had an installer that worked great, none of this Kext helper stuff, even after reinstalling and going backward this installer is not working.

I am looking for help with a GA-EP45T-UD3RL board

and am looking for Audio help

Thanks in advance :D

I too looked through that incredibly long thread and came up blank. I followed your instructions and I have no audio. Motherboard is a GA-MA790X-UD4P. Trying to install it under Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

I did have Azalia working but it was slow and crackly, I removed the relevant kexts and followed your instructions.

Under System Profiler/Audio (Built In) I have:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 885

Available devices:

And thats it. Not sure where to go from here..

I'm no expert and don't know anything about the Azalia patch but I suspect your AppleHDA.kext is not vanilla. It may have been patched when you installed the Azalia patch. I would find a vanilla AppleHDA.kext - the right one matching your OS version. It will be in your install or update dmg. You can use pacifist to extract it and Kext Helper to install it. Afterwards you may have to reinstall the two kext in my OP. Again, this is just a guess.

Well thanks for your input 3ofakind on my last post,

Yes I do know that my board should be using ALC888 but in previous upgrades it was interesting what drivers did finally make it work!

Since like 3ofakind, I am also not a subject matter expert I am looking for preferably an installer that will resolve my Audio problem on Mac OSX 10.6.4

Yes I am using a GA_EP45T-UD3LR

All the help is greatly appreciated :thumbsup_anim:

@thecat58

From 10.6.3, ALC888 requires a different setup than ALC889A. My procedure was NEVER meant for you. You foolishly try it and then blame me for breaking your system. You then ask for my help! All this because you want an "easy installer".

YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE. START YOUR OWN THREAD. DO NOT HIJACK MINE.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I've a gigabyte EP45 UD3 with ALC889a onboard. After installation with IATKOS S3V2 the audio work well after upgrade to 10.6.4 I've a kernel panic.

So i've cancel

appleHDA,

HDAenabler,

VoodooHDA and

VoodooHDA prefpane

and I cannot have again the kernel panic. But also I cannot listen nothing..

To get again the sound i read most guide in the web, like

your guide

or like this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

or like the tonymax86 forum

but it don't work.

I download legacyHDA, AppleHDA and HDAenabler, installed it with kext helper and fix the permission with the disk tool.

but it still not work.

I've cancelled all audio kext, all voodoo pref pane and download ALC889a_LayoutID_885.zip and after i install only the the two kext that you show in your post, but it still don't work

Where I wrong?

Somebody can help me?

ps: the Azalia in set enable to bios

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same motherboard and setup- I have been pulling my hair out as well- you have the simpliest post to follow. I am running 10.6.4 right now. Funny thing when I first installed 10.6 last night before upgrading the sound worked. Can you please tell me what you have in the extra/extensions folder? I have HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.

Still not working for me

Thanks

Cash

So now you have the two Kexts ready to go just enter your admin password and click EASY INSTALL

That's it. Once again, thanks to all those who put so much work into this just to make it easy for beginners like myself.

EDIT: Motherboard was a GA-EP45-DS3R

EDIT: UPDATE

I deleted the HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA. from extra/extensions folder. I did not think that it was working and then I looked at the sound control panel I have three options for line in now. If I plug into the front speakers (black) i get some sound not as loud as it should be and slightly distorted but... I will take what I can get at this point- any ideas??

Hello everyone!

3ofakind, thank you very much!

I have GA-P35-DS3P motherboard with ALC889a sound card. So, I installed kexts that you suggested and my LS 10.6.3 now playing goddamn blues ;) Finally.

I think that I have all ports properly working although I checked just few till now.

Best regards to hard working insanely mac comunity!