Snow Leopard on ASUS G51Jx-X3

gravicle

56 posts in this topic

Also try using cpus=1 and maxmem=4096 first alternately, and if doesn't work, together.

OK,

Found a boot cd that works, then found out my Install disk was borked. Reburned and everything worked ok until the end when it went to a blank white screen.

I have tried:

-x

GraphicsEnabler=Yes (this may not have been the correct thing to do)

I am going to try your CPUS=1 and Maxmem suggestion now.

If you think i am doing somethin wrong, let me know..

Again, Thanks so much for the help!

Blank WHITE screen? Try GraphicsEnabler=No, also -x is safe mode; DONT use it. Rather use -v -f to find out whats happening.

Got it,

trying it now.

I knew i should have used GE=No

I have so many Chrome tabs open right now, its not even funny.

I ended up using NawCom's Boot CD

I only found it after 3 days of tearing through google. Seems to work well so far.

I post my results in a couple minutes. Hopefully this all works, then I'll summarize what I did for others to get it to work.

Sweet!

I'm in.

Gotta find a usb mouse. freaking PS2 laptop trackpads.

Sweet!

I'm all done. Using the boot cd i used above and with some tips from gravicle I am up and running on a G51JX-A1!

Once i was finished installing I followed this guide to a T. Using the package on the first post. Here are some tips from my experience:

1. DO NOT INSTALL ANY AUDIO STUFF UNTIL AFTER UPDATE TO 10.6.4

I complete tasks as i read, not read everything first then do it. My mistake, but in case there is someone else out there like me, wait for any audio stuff until the end.

2. For the G51JX-A1, use this boot cd, with the GraphicsEnabler=no at every boot until you are finished with the guide. It will save you a lot of time. Trust me...

Thanks everyone for there help!

I think I might give the wifi a look into before I go out and buy a new card.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but here it goes.

I am pretty much all setup on my Asus with Mac. I would like to now copy the install to a bigger hard drive. Is this as simple as using the restore function of disk utility? (restore Mac install to external drive, then boot)

I have read that it should work, but that seems too good to be true to me.

Am i better off reinstalling on the new drive from scratch? I imagine it will be a much more streamlined process now.

Thanks for the help, or direction if this is the wrong place to ask.

i decided to just reinstall on the new drive. Everything went much quicker than before. Thanks again to everyone.

one strange problem, for some reason my keyboard is no working, neither is my trackpad. I am installing the 10.6.4 update right now, we'll see if that fixes it.

if anyone has any ideas why its not working, please let me know..

Update fixed it. Nevermind.

Thanks,

Hello all:

I have just finished, after many days got my install up and running on my Asus G51JX-A1 it works great except for the sound issue. If you are looking for a wireless card I got an Atheros 5008X b/g/n and it is great but you have to tape it in place cause of the "half card" that comes with it I need to Thank you all for your posts I have done a few hackintoshes before but this one I thought I would fail. One issue I have and need help with is 64 bit it won't boot into 64 bit there are no errors it just gets to (in verbose) Bluetooth something or other and goes no further any ideas out there? with the 6GB RAM I would like to be able to use it.

Hello all:

I have just finished, after many days got my install up and running on my Asus G51JX-A1 it works great except for the sound issue. If you are looking for a wireless card I got an Atheros 5008X b/g/n and it is great but you have to tape it in place cause of the "half card" that comes with it I need to Thank you all for your posts I have done a few hackintoshes before but this one I thought I would fail. One issue I have and need help with is 64 bit it won't boot into 64 bit there are no errors it just gets to (in verbose) Bluetooth something or other and goes no further any ideas out there? with the 6GB RAM I would like to be able to use it.

Probably some kext you using isn't 64-bit enabled. Check in System Profiler > Software > Extensions. If there is some critical kext not 64-bit capable then its the cause. Besides I don't think you want to run a 64-bit kernel. Its a memory hog. But snow leo anyways runs 64-bit cocoa apps in 64 bit mode, whether you boot in 32 bit mode or 64. You can check this in Activity Monitor's "kind" column.

Sound? Did you try using the kext that is in the package?

Thank you for your reply:

I have not tried your kext yet I will try it (for sound) I am on the A1 I want to use 64 bit because I have 6GB RAM it would seem the problem is the appleRTC.kext not loading right as far as the sound goes it works but the mic is on I can turn it down in the preferences but it resets on every boot. Thank you for your help

Ok so I went through and replaced any kext that was not 64 bit with one that was (from my G60 I compared the lists) and still won't boot 64 bit so I replaced the entire system/library/extensions with the one from the g60 and it still won't boot 64 bit :wallbash: I don't know what I should do?

Are you using -x64 kernel flag while booting? It won't boot by itself.

Thats the problem when I put the boot flag for 64 bit it won't boot **Solved** I don't know why it mattered but I did a fresh install and from the first boot did 64 bit boot flag then added it to boot.plist updated to 10.6.4 and it boots fine in 64 bit now and 32 bit for that matter Thank you for your help now to work on the sound

I have the RoG G60JX and I am going to try to use your DSDT.aml and see if I can get it to work. I don't know if anyone has tested it or not but I guess we will find out. Also I saw that someone else posted their own .aml. In order to use it would I have to change the file name to DSDT or does it matter?

I used KIZWAN's DSDT and it worked fine then I compiled my own and added the changes and yes change it to dsdt.aml also for this I found creating an SMbios.plist is a big help also (at least it gets the system ID right and this was the one thing I did differant to get it to boot in 64 bit) thanks to the people here I was able to get mine going great Good Luck to you :)

So I reinstalled everything. I still gotta update to version 10.6.4. but I am afraid to seeing last time it did not work. So seeing I did nothing different means that there is a high chance it wont work again. Like I can install it. Its just after the reboot, I can't boot up.

• 2 weeks later...

You've got duplicate code for the shutdown edit in the DSDT. They both look like this:

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
   {
	   Store (Zero, P80D)
	   P8XH (Zero, Arg0)
	   PTS (Arg0)
	   If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
	   {
		   If (LAnd (DTSE, LGreater (TCNT, One)))
		   {
			   TRAP (TRTD, 0x1E)
		   }
	   }
   }

But the second one should be:

{
	 If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
	 {
		 Store (Zero, SLPE)
		 Sleep (0x10)
	 }
 }

• 1 month later...

gravicle, it's very awesome that you took the time to write this tutorial. I have a hackintosh desktop, took me a couple days to make everything work, many months ago but now I got this asus g51jx-x1 last night and I'm planning to follow your tutorial. I just updated to the latest 208 bios (had 206 installed and the asus website has become such a pain in the butt lately) but I don't know exactly where to start because I want to keep windows like on my desktop, on my desktop it was easy because I have separate hdds for windows and os x (using the latest chameleon which gives a nice graphic menu). Do you dual boot or do you have os x exclusively on yours? Thanks.

gravicle, it's very awesome that you took the time to write this tutorial. I have a hackintosh desktop, took me a couple days to make everything work, many months ago but now I got this asus g51jx-x1 last night and I'm planning to follow your tutorial. I just updated to the latest 208 bios (had 206 installed and the asus website has become such a pain in the butt lately) but I don't know exactly where to start because I want to keep windows like on my desktop, on my desktop it was easy because I have separate hdds for windows and os x (using the latest chameleon which gives a nice graphic menu). Do you dual boot or do you have os x exclusively on yours? Thanks.

I'm through with windows and avoid it like death. Still, for the times when its needed, I run Windows 7 from Parallels inside mac.

Still, dual/triple boot is real easy. Let me know if you have any problems.

Merry Christmas.

So I reinstalled everything. I still gotta update to version 10.6.4. but I am afraid to seeing last time it did not work. So seeing I did nothing different means that there is a high chance it wont work again. Like I can install it. Its just after the reboot, I can't boot up.

Its probable that your system isn't supporting the vanilla kernel. Tell me what happens when you try to boot.

You've got duplicate code for the shutdown edit in the DSDT. They both look like this:

{
	   Store (Zero, P80D)
	   P8XH (Zero, Arg0)
	   PTS (Arg0)
	   If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
	   {
		   If (LAnd (DTSE, LGreater (TCNT, One)))
		   {
			   TRAP (TRTD, 0x1E)
		   }
	   }
   }

But the second one should be:

{
	 If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
	 {
		 Store (Zero, SLPE)
		 Sleep (0x10)
	 }
 }

I cannot find a duplicate _PTS method entry. Please elaborate.

What should I install first? I'm thinking os x and make a hfs partition for os x and leave a fat one for windows, after I finish installing os x I can format the fat one into ntfs and install windows on it? Will it mess up the os x install? I'm asking all this because on my desktop computer I always separated the hdds when installing OSes.

What should I install first? I'm thinking os x and make a hfs partition for os x and leave a fat one for windows, after I finish installing os x I can format the fat one into ntfs and install windows on it? Will it mess up the os x install? I'm asking all this because on my desktop computer I always separated the hdds when installing OSes.

Windows drives are formatted as MBR by default and don't play with OS X. First make the entire drive GPT/GUID. This would erase the entire drive, whatsoever. Then you can start by partitioning for mac. ALL of this can be done from inside the disk utility app of the installer DVD.

You can convert an HFS partition to NTFS anytime. So, don't bother about it right now. First get a functional mac installation, everything else can be done from within it later.

Ok then, I will install os x and worry about windows later, hopefully I will be able to install it without messing up os x. The only problem is I don't have a large enough dvd for install and everything is closed today. On my desktop PC I installed snow leopard on a hdd from a leopard hdd. (with windows being on a third hdd). Makes me think if I can just connect the hdd with leopard from my desktop computer to my laptop and install snow leopard on my laptop hdd from there. I will actually go ahead and try that right now

edit: I can't connect it, laptop has esata and the desktop hdd has sata. :rolleyes:

gravicle I'm thinking to buy this if there's no kext yet for the built in wifi, do you think it's good? Or you know a better one? (newegg preferably) This I know for sure it's mac compatible cause it says so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...#scrollFullInfo

From my experience an external card is a pain in the butt. You can go with the internal WiFi card I suggested in the guide.

At the end, your preference.