Rescue a G3 Grape

simpod

3 posts in this topic

Heya

I am pretty new to the Mac scene so I apologize if my questions are a bit "noobish" :P

I have been working in a local computer shop for about 3 years now (repairs and stuff) and this whole time there has been what I believe is an iMac G3 Grape doing absolutely nothing. Apparently the customer left it with us cause they got a new one.

All I know is the screen used to be fine but one day when it was rebooted the screen was tinted a purple colour - can this be easily fixed?

My boss hates macs with a vengeance so he'd probably give it to me for nothing :P Is there any upgrades I could do to bring it up to date? (RAM etc) I believe it has OSX Leopard at the moment.

Any help appreciated - I need a new computer temporarily and would like to save this one if possible :)

Mactracker says it doesn't have Leopard. It might have 10.4 Tiger, but that's a stretch for those old iMacs.

From what I can research, it looks like the green in the RGB monitor isn't working right. You need a TV guy to look at the innards and get it fixed, because it's a TV tube issue.

• 3 months later...

If the Grape iMac is a slot loader it is possible to use as is by plugging in an external monitor to the VGA PORT hidden by the easily removable panel on the bottom. Only problem is cannot turn off the CRT display.

If the Grape iMac is a tray loader, could still salvage for any hardware upgrades by previous owners.