Instaling Leopard on my old iBook

8 posts in this topic

Well i just got an ibook from ebay the ibook 2004 edition

its a powerpc

1.7 ghz

786 ram ganna remove the 512 and add 1 gb

and well i was wondering if i could install mac os x leopard but from the distros, i mean i have a hackintosh running leopard but can i install leopard on my ibook using a distro like iatkos but not choosing any options except the system?

i have a external dvd burner but the dvdrw dl are freakin expensive i just wanna know if i can

thankzzz

Hey

I'm trying a similar thing on my old G4, need to get leopard on it, all the retail discs I've tried so far have been intel only so no use and I can't seem to fins a power PC install disc...away this weekend but I'll give it a go with iATKOS when I get back and let you know.

Nobby

Hey

I'm trying a similar thing on my old G4, need to get leopard on it, all the retail discs I've tried so far have been intel only so no use and I can't seem to fins a power PC install disc...away this weekend but I'll give it a go with iATKOS when I get back and let you know.

Nobby

k if you can get back with the result it wold be asum :)

PowerPC Macs will not run Hack OS.

PowerPC Macs will not run Snow Leopard.

PowerPC Macs will run a retail Leopard (not snow leopard).

You have to find a retail Leopard disk. They are at many different torrent sites and I'm not posting the links here.

i know that im not stupid but the thing is that leopard is to big to fit in one of my dvds which are 4.7 gb and i really dont want to waste $20 for like 4 8gb dvd dls so im tryin to use the ditros cuz i have them and their less than 4 gb so they fit on normal dvds

unless u know of a leopard torrent that is less than 4 GB ill pass on your post :)

Then you're clearly not going to be able to get Leopard BECAUSE HACK WON'T WORK on a PPC Mac.

Sorry to burst your bubble there but if it's a stripped down installer, then it's most likely stripped the PPC code from there and not the other way around. BUT...there is a way around this!

1. Install 10.4 or 10.3 and make a 10 GB partition.

2. Now take that freshly imaged Leopard disk and use Disk Utility to restore it to the partition.

3. Make it the startup disk and reboot.

Then you're clearly not going to be able to get Leopard BECAUSE HACK WON'T WORK on a PPC Mac.

Sorry to burst your bubble there but if it's a stripped down installer, then it's most likely stripped the PPC code from there and not the other way around. BUT...there is a way around this!

1. Install 10.4 or 10.3 and make a 10 GB partition.

2. Now take that freshly imaged Leopard disk and use Disk Utility to restore it to the partition.

3. Make it the startup disk and reboot.

i so wish i was able to do that, i dont have my copy of tiger to redo the intial install and create a second partition. i really wish i could get leopard fired up because i wanna go balls to the wall on this thing. thinking remove dvd drive, install 2.5 ide to compact flash with 2 300x 4-8 gb cf cards then solder in a usb to sata adapter with a 250gb sata hd in place of the dvd drive. anyone else think its worth it? (or even possible)

got leopard on my 800mhz ibook, performance is great. well no worse anyway and possibly a little bit better. have plenty of room since my dvd drive was removed for netbookish purposes and expansion. i found a tut for removing lang support and printer drivers to make a retail copy of leopard 4gb to burn on a single layer disc but i've yet to find for repost.