Transfer OS X install?

NickMiller

4 posts in this topic

Hey, I have a USB drive which has Mac OS X installed on it and I was wondering if I could use disk utility (restore) to transfer the install to a secondary partition on my Windows drive. The reason I have it installed on a usb drive is because Snow Leopard doesn’t recognize my hard drives (or dvd drive) until I install a .kext. I already have Windows 7 installed and I was wondering if I could transfer the installation to the hard drive without harming the Windows install. I plan on using EasyBCD to add the Snow Leopard install to the Windows 7 boot list. Also, is having a MBR partition table gonna keep me from doing this?? Thanks in Advance, Nick

P.S. How do I get Snow Leopard to not show the “System Reserved” (made by Windows 7) partition on the desktop and Finder on startup (I don’t wanna “un-mount” the drive every time I boot)?

Use Carbon Copy Cloner, then you will likely need to reinstall Chameleon, but I have had some success with this technique. You will be using Chameleon to boot, note that to boot windows you will need to boot the system partition, not the windows 7 partition.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner, then you will likely need to reinstall Chameleon, but I have had some success with this technique. You will be using Chameleon to boot, note that to boot windows you will need to boot the system partition, not the windows 7 partition.

So, if I just use the Windows 7 install disk and repair the Windows install does that allow me to use the Windows 7 bootloader as the primary one?? I plan on editing the bootlist with EasyBCD... Also, is having a Master Boot Record partition table gonna affect anything?

Do you mind me asking why you want to use the Windows boot loader as your primary one? You will need to use Chameleon (or a similar bootloader) anyways, and since it loads windows just fine why not leave it as the default on? That saves trying to edit with EasyBCD and hoping it all works correctly; Chameleon will automatically detect Windows and add an entry for it.

I don't think having an MBR table will hurt anything, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. You may have some sort of GPT disk already if you have windows 7 installed; I know Windows 7 uses EFI but honestly I don't use Windows enough anymore to know how it partitions the disk.

If you are still stuck on using the Windows 7 bootloader as your primary one it can be done, but you will have a harder time finding support for working with that. You can find loads of help using Chameleon on this board :)