Windows 7 and Mac os x on one HDD doesnt work at all

7 posts in this topic

Hey

So i tried every F*** guide and i just cant get it to work.

I tried to first install windows 7. Make a unlocated partition and mark it as aktive. Then tried to format the partition under mac os x to mac extendened journaled and it says "cant change partition table"

Then i tried first install mac os x. mac a second partition to ntfs(and unlocated, tried both) and install windows 7. Doesnt work because of the GPT table..

Any help?

Here's what I did to multiboot.

1. Pop in your choice of Snow Leopard/Leopard install disk. Go to disk utility and do the following exactly as instructed -

i. Make two or three partitions (third for data if you have lots of movies/music/pictures you want to share between OS's)

ii. Make sure to make the first partition for Windows 7. FAT formatted of course.

iii. (Optional) Make the second partition for your data FAT formatted.

iv. Make your second or third partition OSX. Mac OS Extended Journaled AND in options select MBR!!!

2. Now continue to install OSX on your OSX partition and customize if you have a modded install disk. (Make sure you install Chameleon v2 bootloader..from the customize option before installing if you're using a modded disk. or install it from within osx.

3. After the install is finished restart and boot for the first time and go through the language and account management process. Once you are booted in restart and pop in the Win7 install disk.

4. At the hard disk choice, select the Windows partition and if the install or next button is greyed out, all you have to do is format it to NTFS. Go ahead with the install.

5. After finishing the Windows install what happens is that the Windows bootloader overwrites the Chameleon bootloader, and you can only boot into Windows at this point. You now need to download and install a program called EasyBCD. DL the latest version.

6. Start the program, go to the Add New Entry section and select the MacOS tab. Here, type a name you want to show up in the bootloader. Don't touch the mode drop down bar. EFI is fine.

Now restart and you should have a working multiboot system.

You'll have to do work on your own to get your OSX install to work 100% so I suggest you should do all the research beforehand and plan out what you're going to do. The install processes are very very long and like you I tried all possible methods of dualbooting before I did this.

Since you'll be doing some tinkering in OSX, it is possible that a kext might cause you kernel panics so I recommend you get a Windows program called MacDrive8 which lets you access the HFS+ partition (read/write). Without it, you won't even see the OSX partition in windows. If you do encounter problems, all you have to do is boot into windows and remove the kext you installed that caused the KP.

Good Luck. Let me know if this works for you.