JaS 10.4.6 installation problems

Sotai

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I recently discovered the osx86 project and it's a great chance for me to test the OS before I decide to buy a mac or not.

Now to the issue(s):

One irritating thing is that the keyboard wont work, I have a normal swedish keyboard layout, and I chose it as the main language.

I'm using the JaS 10.4.6 iso (I think, the file is named: 10.4.6.install.dvd.iso, but it said in the torrent comments to be a jas release) and the first time i tried to install, it encouterd an error while installing som printer driver i think. I tried again, now it encounterd an error while installing x11. I tried again and then it completed, but when it's supposed to reboot it just stands there, with the "loading"-animation. The same happens every time i try to quit the installer. I thought it should be able to boot, as all the file where installed, but when trying to boot the partition I got two errors saying:

MBR Error 1

MBR Error 2

Press any key to boot from floppy...

Could there be a problem with my dvd?

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice

1024mb pc 3200 400mhz (2x 512mb dual channel)

Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256mb GDDR3

NForce 3 chipset

And the HDD is IDE

Help is appreciated =)

i hate it when everyone assumes it is a bad burn. everyone told me that, but it ended up being that my dvd rom drive was incompatible with the mac osx dvd boot methods. it would boot, but not detect the dvd drive (only the network pxe boot). is this on a laptop or desktop? if a desktop, i would drive a different drive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all, I have some problems too with the installation of Jas's version. When I install, everything is ok till it installs the 10.4.6 combo update. then afer 50% the system tells me that there are some problems, I have to try again..

First time I thought thats not a problem because after reboot, OS X was working, but: Safari crashed a lot, iWork 06 wasen't working and even iTunes, or better sing in at iTunes was inpossibel. So I tryed to reinstall, but always same problem.. Someone have an idea?!

everything is ok till it installs the 10.4.6 combo update. then afer 50% the system tells me that there are some problems, I have to try again..

It gives this message when it is having trouble reading data on the DVD.

It could be the burn - try reburning the DVD at the slowest speed possible. If you have different brand of media or type of media (dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, dvd+rw), try that.

It could be the iso image that you burned had a corruption during the download. In that case, you would have to re-download the iso.

It could be a problem with the DVD drive. See if there is a new firmware update for it.