Watching Videos with Intel mobile 4

BatManSuperMan

9 posts in this topic

Hi Forum

I have a DELL E4300 with an Intel mobile 4 graphics adapter.

Everything is running wonderful. I have changed my Intel WiFi 5100 network card to a devolo to get wireless network working.

I changed the screen resolution to 1280x1024, but I am not able to watch movies or to use iWork because the graphics adapter is not really installed.

Is there a workaround to get working?

Maybe an enhanced vesa driver or something else?

Best regards

Gunnar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mplayer OS X does a very good job on my install, it even launches very quickly. It enables me to play HD(!) 720p videos on my Hack, even smaller 1080p files seem to work fine for me. Another method would be running a virtual machine with windows, thus allowing you to use VLC for video, I have successfully used this method to play 1080p files. But, for non-HD content like divx movies Quicktime 7+Perian will do a great job. Btw, HD Flash videos like 720p youtube or hulu also seem to play smoothly for me.

You CAN use VLC. Just an older version. Go to the main download page and search for the older versions. I can say that the version 0.8.1 works well. The bad thing with any video, the machine will start to heat seriously. But well, that happens also with Windows and GNU/Linux

I can confirm that PPC VLC (at least) up to 0.8.4 will work. However, only beginning with 0.8.5 was VLC compiled for intel machines, meaning that non universal binary versions will run in Rosetta, resulting in a great performance loss and a much greater heat output.

• 3 weeks later...