Gulftown Hackintosh in the Wild?

11 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just wondering whether anyone can confirm or deny the apparent gulftown hackintosh in geekbench browser:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/user/Echrei/profile

scores up to 27000 for 2x Gulftown (which actually is not that fast, considering a 11000 is about average for a nehalem running at 3.3GHz)

I would be interested to know which motherboard for dual processors and if the OS already supports gulftown

as far as I know, no one else has tried....

Boot 10.6.4 with i7 970 without problem. :D

Thanks Bruce, it's great to see that OS X supports the new processor.

I'm always surprised by just what drivers are embedded in the OS without our knowing!

Could you post some more geekbench results of your system, it would be useful for others who are considering gulftown.

Also, any ideas what motherboard the dual gulftown hackintosh may be using?

No idea which board can support dual gulftown, guess it's server board. Below is my test platform and GeekBench 64bit 2.1.4 score is 11000.

CPU: i7 970 6-core

RAM: 6GB @ 2400MHz

M/B: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

VGA: Gigabyte GV-N260C-896H-B (nVidia GTX260)

HDD: SATA 160GB SDD

Hi All,

Just wondering whether anyone can confirm or deny the apparent gulftown hackintosh in geekbench browser:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/user/Echrei/profile

scores up to 27000 for 2x Gulftown (which actually is not that fast, considering a 11000 is about average for a nehalem running at 3.3GHz)

I would be interested to know which motherboard for dual processors and if the OS already supports gulftown

as far as I know, no one else has tried....

I only have one processor but it's a Gulftown (Core i7 980X). I'm running 10.6.4 on it with only one problem (sound and video aren't synced anymore - see my post on the subject). I had a Core i7 720 when I installed OS X 10.6.0 and updated my software to 10.6.4. I then swapped out the 920 for the 980X and 10.6.4 runs with Ethernet, video and the glitchy sound. I did discover that 10.6.0 won't install on Gulftown but if you can do the upgrade route as described above, it works. When Apple ships retail 10.6.4 or later, the install problem will go away.

I only have one processor but it's a Gulftown (Core i7 980X). I'm running 10.6.4 on it with only one problem (sound and video aren't synced anymore - see my post on the subject). I had a Core i7 720 when I installed OS X 10.6.0 and updated my software to 10.6.4. I then swapped out the 920 for the 980X and 10.6.4 runs with Ethernet, video and the glitchy sound. I did discover that 10.6.0 won't install on Gulftown but if you can do the upgrade route as described above, it works. When Apple ships retail 10.6.4 or later, the install problem will go away.

Thanks, all useful info. for anyone considering the upgrade. The processors are still quite expensive, was the speed improvement worth it?

Holy {censored}! I just looked up the specs on the EVGA Classified SR-2 mobo mentioned in the link. Unfortunately it was used with Windows on the Geekbench test so I'm not sure if it will work with Hackintosh. Doesn't really matter anyway because I couldn't afford it unless I won the Lotto :)

However, if someone with a LOT more money than me could build a rig out of that beast and get Hackintosh up and running on it, that would have to be the best machine ever! Only with Hackintosh would it be the best, though; with out, it would just be another insanely over-priced gaming rig. If it could recognize all 12 cores of the 2 OC'ed Xeon CPU's within OS X, then the dual-Xeon Mac-Pro would start to look like a Dell.

Crazy preview of that board here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review...tup-benchmarked

They got near to 6GHZ with liquid nitrogen cooling.

Not sure that I could justify this sort of stupidity, but certainly looks like a very interesting board.

I guess that the next Mac Pro may have something like these specs, which may explain the long wait,

these components/processors are so expensive that even there's unlikely to be a whole lot of profit for Apple.

If I had a rich uncle sponsoring me, then that kind of build wouldn't seem so stupid. Being that I'm a poor b**** struck by recession finances, it is insanely stoopid, even if it can run OSx86 Hackintosh (which I doubt it can, reading from user experiences)...

I bought an EVGA Classified SR-2 along with 2 Intel Xeon X5680 running at 3.33GHz.

Unfortunately I have not been able to get Snow Leopard Server 10.6.4 running under VMWare Workstation 7.1.

Version 10.6 works fine, but if I apply 10.6.4 combo, it keeps rebooting.

I think I read somewhere that 10.6.4 has a restriction on processor types and it will not work on the new Intel Xeons 6-core. :(

I bought an EVGA Classified SR-2 along with 2 Intel Xeon X5680 running at 3.33GHz.

Unfortunately I have not been able to get Snow Leopard Server 10.6.4 running under VMWare Workstation 7.1.

Version 10.6 works fine, but if I apply 10.6.4 combo, it keeps rebooting.

I think I read somewhere that 10.6.4 has a restriction on processor types and it will not work on the new Intel Xeons 6-core. :)

Why not try running it native? Here are some general instructions that may be worth trying...

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

ps. congratulations on the board, by the way, sure many here would love to see more benchmarks of os x running on this....