Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

Well it was not your fault :( I tested it too and got the same result. Tonight I have some time to investigate this problem a bit more. Still, the best solution, can be writing a new fb kext as XmoD supposed. (maybe it's a better idea if I study how to write such a kext?)

Well it was not your fault ;) I tested it too and got the same result. Tonight I have some time to investigate this problem a bit more. Still, the best solution, can be writing a new fb kext as XmoD supposed. (maybe it's a better idea if I study how to write such a kext?)

that will be fantastic :(

Well it was not your fault :( I tested it too and got the same result. Tonight I have some time to investigate this problem a bit more. Still, the best solution, can be writing a new fb kext as XmoD supposed. (maybe it's a better idea if I study how to write such a kext?)

Hi Tom,

thank you for your efforts

can I ask you which program did you use to decompile the kexts...I have a few boot files and I want decompile them as I have an hybrid graphic card...intel hd and ati5470 and I have two different boots already compiled and each of them contain the two graphics cards and I want to merge them to have both graphic crads recognize by osx and then use gfxcard status to enable the ati!

thank you

Marco

Hi Tom,

thank you for your efforts

can I ask you which program did you use to decompile the kexts...I have a few boot files and I want decompile them as I have an hybrid graphic card...intel hd and ati5470 and I have two different boots already compiled and each of them contain the two graphics cards and I want to merge them to have both graphic crads recognize by osx and then use gfxcard status to enable the ati!

thank you

Marco

Well I use otool to disassemble (otool -t -v -V for example), it comes with xcode. You need to make sure that these boot files are proper mach-o files (not elf/PE etc.) otherwhise otool is not the option.

Tom

i think it would be more easy to look at an already open source kext for any kind of device and modify it to suit intel gma inspiring yourself from the linux drivers. just my 2 cents

/Library/Logs/panic.log try this file

http://code.google.com/p/osx86-driver-radeonhd/

take a look to the source ... The driver Project is brilliant. It is based on Xfree86; This has been an unix based (darwin as well) display porter / FB, that reads the DDC and sets using EDID the Display Properties. It has no direct graphic driver inside. Only the part that sets the Display properties.

These driver is ported well to OSX / Darwin. The Radeon HD Graphic driver part is small and in my mind only important for device recognizing. ...

The included Radeon HD driver are in Linux. And they follow the Xfree86 system. Also there is an IntelHD driver around, that follows the same.

So we have a port ! And we have a portable Linux Driver. Currently i am working on creating an compile able Xcode Project from the original RadenHD driver. Than I ll add the Intel support. And rewrite the intelHD part / add rename the strings so they can be used by the port.

If that is done, a first Version of RadeonHD with intel support should run! and give us full support of IntelHD...

Following, I ll rename the Vars / Strings an create a new kexts, that supports both Intel HD and Radeon HD. All that ll take time I do that in my free time. Most time I stuck in University, but if there is time, I ll spend time to add the Intel Support ....

That seems a good idea :) I' ll take a look if I can find some opensource kexts for graphics devices and use that as a basis.

oh btw, the file you mentioned doesn' t seem to exist here... :(

edit: XmoD you were too fast :D well sounds great, maybe I can help you with that? Or do you prefer to develop alone?

Tom

I think the solution really lies in AppleGraphicsControl. Look at the info.plist for config 1

You see

FBDriver0 = AppleIntelFrameBuffer

FBDriver1 = NVDA

GLDriver0 = Gen575

GLDriver1 = NVKernel

Unfortuntely we can't load this kext due to lack of GMUX device.

I think injecting artificial GMUX device and pointing FBDriver1 and GLDriver1 back to Intel (or removing them) is on the right path. I no longer have equipment to test on, sorry.

Well I use otool to disassemble (otool -t -v -V for example), it comes with xcode. You need to make sure that these boot files are proper mach-o files (not elf/PE etc.) otherwhise otool is not the option.

Tom

Thank you very Much Tom!!

by the way you're right..boot file cannot be decompile with otool..but anyways..great tools!!

for the ApleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext in plist contents i saw some hex references to

Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver for intel serie 7 chipset

but our video card uses intel serie 5 chipset....could it be that the problem?...if the hex address is different from serie 7 ..and Me is needed it won't load at all

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...p;dwnldid=18532

then it gets stuck at terminal or apple logo and it won't reach desktop gui at all

i couldn't find any hex adress for serie 5 MEI..but I didn't dig too much!

thank you again

Marco

No do not want to develop alone. :)

Which driver is not around? I ll pack my files and upload my current XcodE Project. Not finished adding the radeon HD Projects files. The Source is pad. No direct .tar to load only these google code explorer. ... I already wrote the dev. a mail but with no response. ...

No do not want to develop alone. :)

Which driver is not around? I ll pack my files and upload my current XcodE Project. Not finished adding the radeon HD Projects files. The Source is pad. No direct .tar to load only these google code explorer. ... I already wrote the dev. a mail but with no response. ...

great work!

I only have little experience at iOS app programing, but i‘d like to be a member of testing group

thank you :P

Hello struggling people!

I have now read this entire thread :P

I have something for you people who cannot get custom resolution working:

Add "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" as a kernel flag when you boot, or add it to your com.apple.Boot.plist. Just change the resolution to whatever is your native res and you are good to go. :P

In the .plist file it looks like this <key>Graphics Mode</key><string>1366x768x32</string>

I am doing this on my latitude E4310 (arrandale) and i still get partial QE/CI (followed ghostrider's instructions). It is very annoying with the horizontal bars/distortions. So I use MS Windows :) mostly for now, has anyone found a way to play HD video without/with minimal distortions? I only tried VLC so far, looking into getting the codecs for Quicktime!

I am glad people still are looking into this :)

Hello struggling people!

I have now read this entire thread ;)

Add "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" as a kernel flag when you boot, or add it to your com.apple.Boot.plist. Just change the resolution to whatever is your native res and you are good to go. :D

In the .plist file it looks like this Graphics Mode1366x768x32

I am doing this on my latitude E4310 (arrandale) and i still get partial QE/CI (followed ghostrider's instructions). It is very annoying with the horizontal bars/distortions. So I use MS Windows ;) mostly for now, has anyone found a way to play HD video without/with minimal distortions? I only tried VLC so far, looking into getting the codecs for Quicktime!

sinzim, you have a native resolution ???

You can post a screen of yours system profile with resolution?

No do not want to develop alone. ;)

Ok, I'll spend my time to learn more about objective C and how to write kexts. Luckily apple has some good pages online ;)

well what you can do with the google code is checkout svn (it seemed svn, as there was a trunk) that will give you all the files

Tom

Hello struggling people!

I have now read this entire thread ;)

Add "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" as a kernel flag when you boot, or add it to your com.apple.Boot.plist. Just change the resolution to whatever is your native res and you are good to go. :D

In the .plist file it looks like this <key>Graphics Mode</key><string>1366x768x32</string>

I am doing this on my latitude E4310 (arrandale) and i still get partial QE/CI (followed ghostrider's instructions). It is very annoying with the horizontal bars/distortions. So I use MS Windows ;) mostly for now, has anyone found a way to play HD video without/with minimal distortions? I only tried VLC so far, looking into getting the codecs for Quicktime!

Ma sei sicuro che hai una intel hd 5700? Perchè fino ad ora su questa scheda ancora non si è riuscito ad attivare neppure la risoluzione nativa 1366x768

Forse ti sei confuso, ed hai una scheda diversa dalla nostra, quale quella di questo topic.

Mostra uno screen della risoluzione e delle proprietà della tua scheda grafica. Grazie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------TRADUZIONE-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure that you have a intel 5700 hd? Why so far on this board has not yet been able to make even the native resolution of 1366x768

Maybe you're confused, and you have a card different from ours, such as that of this topic.

Show a screen resolution and the properties of your graphics card. Thanks

Are you sure that you have a intel 5700 hd? Why so far on this board has not yet been able to make even the native resolution of 1366x768

Maybe you're confused, and you have a card different from ours, such as that of this topic.

Show a screen resolution and the properties of your graphics card. Thanks

That could be. But give sinzim a little credit for having read the entire thread!

It could also be that different systems have different video BIOSes. Sinzim's VBIOS may give the boot loader the ability to change the display resolution before startup, whereas most systems can only set resolution through PCI interfaces, after the kernel is already running.

Hmm maybe I am thread hijacking?

I am using an integrated Intel HD Graphics on the i5 cpu that comes with the latitude E4310.

Ghostriders instructions provided me with QE/CI when previously there was none, so I assumed we are on the same page, did you guys try my instructions?

Sadly, in this "mode" I am in renders screenshots completely black. But my HW IDs are 8086 & 0046 revid 2. That is what this thread is about, yes?

If not, my sincere apologies. ;)

Hmm maybe I am thread hijacking?

I am using an integrated Intel HD Graphics on the i5 cpu that comes with the latitude E4310.

Ghostriders instructions provided me with QE/CI when previously there was none, so I assumed we are on the same page, did you guys try my instructions?

Sadly, in this "mode" I am in renders screenshots completely black. But my HW IDs are 8086 & 0046 revid 2. That is what this thread is about, yes?

If not, my sincere apologies.

I can confirm this. I also had native resolution, once. It was the only selectable resolution in screen settings, on my school dell latitude E5410, core i7.

Unfortunately for some reason I can not reproduce it! I did a fresh install just now, and will report back.

Try the kernel flag? it should be easy enough to confirm my way, in chameleon where you usually type -v for a verbose boot or any other flags you wish, type: -v "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32"

Only requires you to reboot to test ;)

Edit: Attached my boot.plist file as an example to be clear on what I am doing =)

command "lscpi -nn|grep Graphics":

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Arrandale Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)

com.apple.Boot.plist.txt

Try the kernel flag? it should be easy enough to confirm my way, in chameleon where you usually type -v for a verbose boot or any other flags you wish, type: -v "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32"

Only requires you to reboot to test :unsure:

Edit: Attached my boot.plist file as an example to be clear on what I am doing =)

command "lscpi -nn|grep Graphics":

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Arrandale Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)

Yup, that did it, thanks. I now have native resolution on my school computer, 1440x900x32 as specified in the /Extra/Boot.apple.com.plist

This is on 10.6.6 without any qe/ci/cl kexts injected. so no transbar. I will try the new kexts.

Yup, that did it, thanks. (...)

Great! Was afraid i pissed off half a world of angry modders with false hopes and expectations :)

Hello struggling people!

I have now read this entire thread :)

Add "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" as a kernel flag when you boot, or add it to your com.apple.Boot.plist. Just change the resolution to whatever is your native res and you are good to go. ;)

I am doing this on my latitude E4310 (arrandale) and i still get partial QE/CI (followed ghostrider's instructions). It is very annoying with the horizontal bars/distortions. So I use MS Windows :D mostly for now, has anyone found a way to play HD video without/with minimal distortions? I only tried VLC so far, looking into getting the codecs for Quicktime!

Its great that you posted this info but unfortunately this does not work for the rest of us. You see all of us are using Intel HD Graphics (Arrandale).

People with Dell Latitudes already have Native Resolution because they use Intel HD Graphics DF (Arrandale). Your version of Intel HD Graphics with Dynamic Frequency (DF) is designed a bit differently than ours (and the fact that Dell Latitudes use the Mobile Intel QS57 Express Chipset instead of the regular Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset).

You are welcome to test though. :)

Its great that you posted this info but unfortunately this does not work for the rest of us. You see all of us are using Intel HD Graphics (Arrandale).

People with Dell Latitudes already have Native Resolution because they use Intel HD Graphics DF (Arrandale). Your version of Intel HD Graphics with Dynamic Frequency (DF) is designed a bit differently than ours (and the fact that Dell Latitudes use the Mobile Intel QS57 Express Chipset instead of the regular Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset).

You are welcome to test though. :D

yeah, confirm that. i also try this method for many days, but couldn't make it work