Perfect Hackintosh?

6 posts in this topic

I am seriously considering a Hackintosh instead of purchasing a new mac as I would buy an imac but they are still running last years technology and don't really want to wait until october when the new ones come up. Being a student I already get a pretty decent discount off apples products and they prove to be great value for money.

At home I connect my macbook pro 13" to my 22" dell tft panel and it's great, but now I need something more powerful.

It will be running constantly as a media/server mac so it needs to be quiet and ideally have a HDMI to connect to a HD screen.

I don't mind spending sometime to set everything up, however I want everything just as if I have a real mac once this is done. I don't want to spend time tweaking and configuring everything all the time.

Is this possible?

Also could somebody recommend any necessary hardware to get, I obviously want this to run as smoothly as possible so compatibility comes first. Also it needs to be considerably cheaper than a mac otherwise there is no point.

Thanks for your help guys.

I am seriously considering a Hackintosh instead of purchasing a new mac as I would buy an imac but they are still running last years technology and don't really want to wait until october when the new ones come up. Being a student I already get a pretty decent discount off apples products and they prove to be great value for money.

At home I connect my macbook pro 13" to my 22" dell tft panel and it's great, but now I need something more powerful.

It will be running constantly as a media/server mac so it needs to be quiet and ideally have a HDMI to connect to a HD screen.

I don't mind spending sometime to set everything up, however I want everything just as if I have a real mac once this is done. I don't want to spend time tweaking and configuring everything all the time.

Is this possible?

Also could somebody recommend any necessary hardware to get, I obviously want this to run as smoothly as possible so compatibility comes first. Also it needs to be considerably cheaper than a mac otherwise there is no point.

This is pretty much the most comaptible build type you could get with up to date hardware.

I am seriously considering a Hackintosh instead of purchasing a new mac

Is this possible?

I spent many hours learning what works and doesn't when building a PC to run MacOsX.

Gigabyte Intel motherboards come to be the closes thing to an Apple like motherboard. Mine is the GA-EX58-UD5.

Heres a parts list for the one I build and use daily.

Cooler Master Cosmos case and 900 Watt power supply.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard

Intel i7 920 CPU

6 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600 RAM chips

EVGA Nvidia 9800 GTX+ video card

500 GB boot drive and 1 TB secondary SATA disk drives

Corsair Hyrdo H-50 water cooler

SATA cd-DVD burner

SATA BluRay burner

OCZ RAM cooling fan

It runs Apple MacOS 10.6.3 and Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio. I use a Vizio 25.5 " 1920 x 1080 monitor.

Easiest way to load the OS is to use Kakewalk 2 with the flash drive option. It starts up the computer and lets you load the Snow Leopard RETAIL DVD. Remove the flash drive and boot into MacOS X 10.6, then add the updates.

The computer cost me about $1700 and another $300 for the monitor.

This computer works almost like an Apple MacPro except for the following.

You can not boot to another drive with MacOS X loaded onto it.

In MacOS X you can dbl-click on the top of a window to send it to the dock, but that doesn't work on a PC-MAC.

Those are the only things I can think about that are different from a real Apple MAC and a PC that you build.

Cost comparison - This is a single CPU - quad core motherboard.

My build at around $1700 comes in nearly 30 % under the base single CPU model MAcPro but ordering a single CPU MacPro with two hard drives and a BluRay drive plus 12 GB RAM would necessarily drive the price up to over $4000 on the Apple Store site.

With a little more information you can actually over-clock the 920 CPU to 4.0 GHz. I have run my PC-MAC at 4.0 GHz

but running it at 2.7 GHz seems to be fine. You can also boot into 64 bit for apps that require it.

Stay away from ATI video cards and don't try using a boot drive over 750 GB in size. I could never get the 1TB disk to boot. I think it's a limitation on volume size in the 32 bit world.

Hope that helps.

Wow!

These are not really that much cheaper than buying a real mac?

Wow!

These are not really that much cheaper than buying a real mac?

Considering there will be a new imac out in october which comes with one of the best display panels and cases on the market, plus a keyboard and mouse . . .

It seems a Hackintosh isn't really for saving money but for those that just want to build their own.