Updating iDeneb 10.5.5 to 10.5.8

Jay Cee

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Greetings from Brazil! I have successfully installed iDeneb 10.5.5 on my machine.

I tried to update to version 10.5.8 using the iDeneb ComboUpdate, and I get the "installation successful" message, but when the system restarts it just hangs forever. Verbose gives me that dreaded "still waiting for root device" message.

What do you think it could be? I have followed every possible recommendation I've found on the internet, but no luck yet...

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this.

Best regards,

Jay Cee ;)

PS: when I installed 10.5.5 for the first time, I got that same message, but it turned out to be a SATA issue that was easily fixed by selecting IHCfix in the install options.

Sorry. I didn't mean to be inconsiderate and It won't happen again.

Mmmm... using binaries? Now I'm really lost! :/

Well, let me read whatever that link leads me to and hopefully I will understand it something. I'm more of a newbie than you might think.

Once again, thanks a million for all your time and help.

Jay Cee

AHCI, not HCI.

No, they're not the same. AHCI is the 'language' your drive controller uses to communicate with the drivers on the host OS. ICHx is the model name of your motherboard's Southbridge, which is part of your motherboard chipset.

AHCI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host...oller_Interface

ICH: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I/O_Controller_Hub

Chipset: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

Whenever you run into a technical term you're not familiar with, Wikipedia will usually have at least some basic information about it.

Use AHCIPortInjector if your drive controller is in AHCI mode and ATAPortInjector if it's in PATA/IDE mode.

You can read about this in the BIOS section of your motherboard manual.

The reason why I asked is because you wrote:

"Download the Chameleon binary package and use the included ICHx injector kexts instead of patching drivers in /System/Library/Extensions"

but I looked in every folder of the package and couldn't find any ICHx injectors, or at least not with that name, so I got confused.

i dont have that binary here to look that up, but i guess what you're looking for is "ICHx", but x is meant as a placeholder here: in my case, you'd look for the ICH9 injector, since my board uses the ICH9 southbridge.

Whats happening when you try to boot : osx , for some reason, can't access your root device, in other words: boot volume. Gringo told you to inject these drivers, so while booting, your system already loads up the drivers it needs to read your volume.

if you dont know whether you're in AHCI or PATA (sometimes called IDE or compatibility-)mode, check that out in your bios. by default, most boards use IDE mode, while ahci is way more recommendable.

sry for my bad english.

Hi paddopaddo,

Your English is fine. I understand you perfectly and thank you very much for your reply. Any relevant info I get takes me one step closer to resolving this update nightmare! Meanwhile, still trying to locate those kexts... Bye for now,

Jay Cee :P